Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NYC will still be the largest city in 2050?
Yes 628 81.56%
No 142 18.44%
Voters: 770. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,956,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
You're going to tell me, that with immigration slowing to the U.S within the next 50 years, Fort Worth will continue to add not only 100,000, not 200,000, but 300,000+ a decade for the next 40 years? Do you realize how irrational that sounds?
Yup, Sucks huh?

Slowing immigration hahah you make me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM

464 posts, read 1,075,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I noticed many TEXANS are moving from Dallas and San Antonio. (Probably to run away from those California speculator-"investors.") If Greater Houston--6 million--and the Dallas side of DFW (Dallas and Collin Counties)--3.5 million--were put together, it would equal Chicagoland. All Houston has to do is to figure out how to get the 3.5 million here. (Surprisingly they're coming on their own although ever so slowly.) For city limits purposes, Houston has to annex the rest of Alief, the Katy Suburbs, and Cy-Fair to reach Chicago city.
Dallas/Fort Worth is the largest metro area in texas with 6.4 million residents. I don't know what the 3.5 million means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I think the numbers for Chicago city limit population will be a surprise once the 2010 census is released. Even population estimates say that Chicago has been losing population slightly...no one even agrees especially with all the housing units being constructed in the city. It might really increase to more than 2,900,000.
+1 rep for you! I think it will be something like 2,900,000 as well! The 70's 80's and 90's image of Chicago is very outdated. the city really started turning things around in 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Yup, Sucks huh?

Slowing immigration hahah you make me laugh.
Ahh I really hope you didn't go to school for city planning if you don't think immigration to the United States is going to slow down. By 2020 even living conditions in countries such as India and China will have improved greatly. As a city planner you should know this, its basically common knowledge.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times
Quote:

+1 rep for you! I think it will be something like 2,900,000 as well! The 70's 80's and 90's image of Chicago is very outdated. the city really started turning things around in 2000.

what does this have to do with the population trends in Chicago? just b/c you see those highrises going up in the south loop doesn't mean the city is gaining population. The city is losing its Hispanic and African American population (which typically have larger households than the guy who bought a loft in south loop) to suburbs like Aurora, Elgin, Joliet.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:54 AM

87 posts, read 185,551 times
Quote:
I don't know about Philadelphia. I voted with my heart . I REALLY hope it can manage to get back and stay in the top five. Urban core cities are so much better than suburban ones, and I think they deserve to be in the top 5. My dream list would be:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Boston/Detroit
5. San Francisco/Boston/Detroit.
Fan of New England and The Midwest, I see. haha well I like the diversity in the top 5 currently, but I plan on moving to one of New England's major cities after graduating college, so I can see why you favor them...I do as well, but I do like that the top 5 consists of cities in different regions of the US. I would like to see Seattle step in to the top 10 though, that way the Northwest can be represented.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM

129 posts, read 367,261 times
Houston will surpass Chicago, if you think otherwise youre an idiot. Houston's metro is growing 2 or 3 times faster than Chicago's. This has been happening this whole entire decade. Chicago will always be an amazingly beautiful city with arguably the best skyline in the world, but it will be America's 4th largest city.

The only way this doesnt happen is if Houston's growth slows, but that seems unlikely with the city booming even during these rough times. People from Chicago are still burning from when LA took them over and now are afraid that a Southern city can potentially kick them another spot down, lol.

I love Chicago, but people on this forum like Spire who have hard heads and WAY too much time on their hands have made this discussion into a bash-Houston thread, it get very old very fast.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 PM

8,516 posts, read 10,033,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
Houston will surpass Chicago, if you think otherwise youre an idiot. Houston's metro is growing 2 or 3 times faster than Chicago's. This has been happening this whole entire decade. Chicago will always be an amazingly beautiful city with arguably the best skyline in the world, but it will be America's 4th largest city.

The only way this doesnt happen is if Houston's growth slows, but that seems unlikely with the city booming even during these rough times. People from Chicago are still burning from when LA took them over and now are afraid that a Southern city can potentially kick them another spot down, lol.

I love Chicago, but people on this forum like Spire who have hard heads and WAY too much time on their hands have made this discussion into a bash-Houston thread, it get very old very fast.
You may have a point, but keep this in mind. There may come other rough times were other cities prosper and Houston doesn't. Nobody has a crystal ball.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I noticed many TEXANS are moving from Dallas and San Antonio. (Probably to run away from those California speculator-"investors.") If Greater Houston--6 million--and the Dallas side of DFW (Dallas and Collin Counties)--3.5 million--were put together, it would equal Chicagoland. All Houston has to do is to figure out how to get the 3.5 million here. (Surprisingly they're coming on their own although ever so slowly.) For city limits purposes, Houston has to annex the rest of Alief, the Katy Suburbs, and Cy-Fair to reach Chicago city.
Where have you noticed this? Dallas and San Antonio are actually increasing in population.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Dallas/Fort Worth is the largest metro area in texas with 6.4 million residents. I don't know what the 3.5 million means.

He/She means the Dallas side of the DFW metro. The Dallas PMSA is Dallas County, Collin County, Rockwall County, and Ellis County. Probably left out a county or two. But the Dallas side has a population of around 4.2 million people. It doesn't get to 6.4 million w/o the Fort Worth-Arlington PMSA which has 2 million by itself. But it doesn't matter. Dallas side is growing pretty fast right now.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,956,698 times
Quote:

Ahh I really hope you didn't go to school for city planning if you don't think immigration to the United States is going to slow down. By 2020 even living conditions in countries such as India and China will have improved greatly. As a city planner you should know this, its basically common knowledge.

They have been saying immigration is going to slow down for years... thats what they said in 2000... turns out the millions of illegals are still here and they are bringing in their familes.. Basic Knoledge to do information and go to college, maybe people like you will know more by 2020.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM

464 posts, read 1,075,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post

Houston will slow down by 2010 I'm almost positive. Housing Housing Housing Housing Housing. All I have to say. If you cant sell your house, you cant buy someone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City