Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NYC will still be the largest city in 2050?
Yes 628 81.56%
No 142 18.44%
Voters: 770. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 PM

882 posts, read 2,235,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
And at the end of the day, NYC has a greater population than LA. And NYC proper is denser than LA proper.
Exactly, so there's no need to diminish LA just to make NYC look better, we all know its a denser city, give credit to LA when its due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,766,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy Columbus View Post
I don't belive vegas is going to have more people than Philly by 2050. I think it depends largely on jobs and where people want to retire at. If you look at cities in all Northamerica they are projecting by 2035 Toronto will be the third largest city on the continent surpassing Chicago in suburban and city population. so i say in order
NYC
LA
Pheonix
Houston
Chicago
Are you talking about cities or Metros?

If you are talking Cities, then Phoenix is a long way away from Houston and an even longer way from Chicago. Houston the City is growing faster than Phoenix and is ahead by 700 000 people. Chicago is growing slower than Phoenix but it is still ahead by 1.2 M people. Phoenix the City gains about 20 000 people a year so to catch up to Chicago it would have to start handing out gold or something.

If You are talking metros you are still far off for Chicago. Chicago's metro is almost twice the size of Phoenix so I don't see it catching up to Chicago in that department either

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy Columbus View Post
I don't belive vegas is going to have more people than Philly by 2050. I think it depends largely on jobs and where people want to retire at. If you look at cities in all Northamerica they are projecting by 2035 Toronto will be the third largest city on the continent surpassing Chicago in suburban and city population. so i say in order
NYC
LA
Pheonix
Houston
Chicago
You do realize that Mexico City is in North America, right?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Quote:
Why don't you go ask the mayor of LA then?
There are commuter rails from NYC to Washington DC (Amtrak) Why is it not part of the group?
Regardless, it's not. End of discussion. Why does it matter? That's not the point.
Amtrak? I'm talking about commuter rail service like the PATH in the NYC area. Amtrak is completely different. Regional commuter rail service buddy, not Amtrak (which is all over this country). And what does it have to do with the Mayor of LA? It's up to the Census and I believe both the IE and Ventura County will be included with LA. The commuting patterns are just too high.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 PM

18 posts, read 81,379 times
#1-new york
#2-los angeles
#3-chicago
#4-seattle
#5-atlanta

Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,864,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivashtrini22 View Post
#1-new york
#2-los angeles
#3-chicago
#4-seattle
#5-atlanta
Definitely not happening. Now the first three? Yes. Last two? Not a chance.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,766,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivashtrini22 View Post
#1-new york
#2-los angeles
#3-chicago
#4-seattle
#5-atlanta
do you know the population of seattle and Atl right now compared to the current number 4 and 5 cities?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 AM

179 posts, read 400,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Amtrak? I'm talking about commuter rail service like the PATH in the NYC area. Amtrak is completely different. Regional commuter rail service buddy, not Amtrak (which is all over this country). And what does it have to do with the Mayor of LA? It's up to the Census and I believe both the IE and Ventura County will be included with LA. The commuting patterns are just too high.
Amtrak is often used by commuters in NYC. People take it from New Haven to NYC all the time because it is faster than the Metro North which can take quite a while.
Also, because the Metro North does not extend to the suburbs of New Haven, a lot of people take it from there as well.
My friend is a consultant living in Philadelphia, working in both Philly & NYC. He commutes back and forth between the 2 cities ALL the time (2, 3x a week). This is common in NYC.

People living in the suburbs of Milwaukee also commute to Chicago to work all the time. But those suburbs are not considered a part of Chicagoland.

OKAY I am getting bored with this dicussion. The Inland Empire is not part of the LA metro. THE END.

Quote:
And I actually agree with you here. Go figure. Hahaha.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,675,909 times
Quote:
Amtrak is often used by commuters in NYC. People take it from New Haven to NYC all the time because it is faster than the Metro North which can take quite a while.
Also, because the Metro North does not extend to the suburbs of New Haven, a lot of people take it from there as well.
My friend is a consultant living in Philadelphia, working in both Philly & NYC. He commutes back and forth between the 2 cities ALL the time (2, 3x a week). This is common in NYC.

Agree and just a few years ago when you purchased a NJ transit monthly pass you could use it to ride the Metro and Clocker services, this was discontinued but may again be implemented out of demand, this had particuarly high usage for daily commute from the Trenton, Hamilton, and Hightstown stations (NJ) into either Newark Penn for path transfer or NY Penn.

Many people from Bucks county PA used this service for their commute in the city

Though in all honesty I remember riding the clocker services and getting passed by NJT NE corrider express trains, always seemed to be by Metro Park

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM

36,896 posts, read 38,801,914 times
Quote:
40 years is a really long time though. Phoenix's rise to 5th largest city was probably a bit of a surprise to most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City