Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NYC will still be the largest city in 2050?
Yes 628 81.56%
No 142 18.44%
Voters: 770. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

How about, lets not worry about metros combining. What good is that. Theres no need to have an LA/SD metro or NYC/Ph metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
How about, lets not worry about metros combining. What good is that. Theres no need to have an LA/SD metro or NYC/Ph metro.

So says someone who combines two metros/MSAs frequently

Quote:
30 in the bay area, is that unchanged from last year?

I dont get why New York wasnt listed??
The above quote is for a MSA ranking

Though I agree they are intertwined (meaning the bay area)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Metropolitan areas are already designated by percentage of commuters. Sounds good, though.
yes, but you missed the whole point. right now they are done by county interaction via commuting. I didn't say they should do it just by commuting. I said maybe they should do urban census tracks with commuting. Kinda how they are joining Galveston and the Woodlands UA to Houston's, maybe they should look into doing that for metros and skip the other parts of counties. I know places like LA and Miami would come out looking much better on the metro level.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So says someone who combines two metros/MSAs frequently

You are right, but different topic. The Bay Area is a whole metro. There is no legitimate distinction in urban area from SF to SJ. Thats a different topic than combining NY to PH or LA to SD. And youve never heard me say SF and Sacramento should be combined. I hope it never happens.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes, but you missed the whole point. right now they are done by county interaction via commuting. I didn't say they should do it just by commuting. I said maybe they should do urban census tracks with commuting. Kinda how they are joining Galveston and the Woodlands UA to Houston's, maybe they should look into doing that for metros and skip the other parts of counties. I know places like LA and Miami would come out looking much better on the metro level.
I see what you mean. Seems like it wouldn't do much good versus using normal metro strategies for most things. A lot of areas would look better this way, actually.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Philly and nyc, while cultural and historically distinct, are alot more intertwined than ppl want to acknowledge. You can take hsr from one downtown to the next. Can that be said about sf/sj? The distance between the two may be slightly further, but that is negated by the massive size of thier urban footprints. Their suburbs clearly overlap in mercer and bucks counties. The northern suburbs of philly are the far southern suburbs of nyc. No other urban dynamic on that scale exists anywhere else in n. America. A true megapolis in every sense of the word, and as central jersey becomes more and more developed it just solidifies what is already fact, northern delaware to southern connecticut is one continuous urban area, and its only a matter of decades before the dmv and eventually boston get in on it.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You are right, but different topic. The Bay Area is a whole metro. There is no legitimate distinction in urban area from SF to SJ. Thats a different topic than combining NY to PH or LA to SD. And youve never heard me say SF and Sacramento should be combined. I hope it never happens.
And there is a legitimate distinction between the NYC/NJ/Philly area? You realize where the census cuts the Metros the citys/towns on either side are at 11,000 and 7,000 ppsm and developed in both directions through to either city, correct? I do agree that the bay is cohesive but also I think you many times misrepresent this as being unique. And agree that SF to Sacramento is nothing compared to the developed cohesion between SJ and SF or NYC and Philly by any stretch.

BTW - the Census has already issued a formal position that their recommendation is to combine the Urban areas of NYC and Philly of which I believe the link is a few pages back.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Phoenix will resemble Detroit by 2050. People will realize that you can't build a city with low density and no water in the SW when energy costs rise even further.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And there is a legitimate distinction between the NYC/NJ/Philly area? You realize where the census cuts the Metros the citys/towns on either side are at 11,000 and 7,000 ppsm and developed in both directions through to either city, correct? I do agree that the bay is cohesive but also I think you many times misrepresent this as being unique. And agree that SF to Sacramento is nothing compared to the developed cohesion between SJ and SF or NYC and Philly by any stretch.

BTW - the Census has already issued a formal position that their recommendation is to combine the Urban areas of NYC and Philly of which I believe the link is a few pages back.

Of course the suburbs touch, its not that far. My point is who cares about combining major metros. San Jose to SF is different, they are part of the same area, fronting the same bay, visible from each other, fully intertwined. Phillys way outer suburbs touch sure, but they are far more distinct and separate metros than in the Bay area. And yes, I realize everything!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Of course the suburbs touch, its not that far. My point is who cares about combining major metros. San Jose to SF is different, they are part of the same area, fronting the same bay, visible from each other, fully intertwined. Phillys way outer suburbs touch sure, but they are far more distinct and separate metros than in the Bay area. And yes, I realize everything!

You realize then where the census cuts the MSA line it is in the FAR WAY OUTER suburbs 11 miles from Philadelphia proper - about the distance of the Tenderloin to SFO (only diference is the density maintained through that space is higher here and continued on the other side of the MSA cut line) - yep this a WAY OUTER FAR AWAY place - I do however agree that Philly and NYC retain far more of unique identity than do SF and SJ (well really the SJ portion because SF most definately does) but in terms of intertwining in the space that connects there is far less difference

The areas that people who understand area would call the Way Outer Far Away suburbs are not in the direction that links these two - Say like a Coatesville to the West (not Northeast) of Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City