U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NYC will still be the largest city in 2050?
Yes 626 81.51%
No 142 18.49%
Voters: 768. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM

22,194 posts, read 23,719,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Well people have to remember that NYC 8 million population is really hype instead of reality...Manhattan in reality is 1 million and Brooklyn and Bronx are 2 million respectively so the reason NYC is at 8 million is that they merged all the cities as 1....that's like L.A county merging as 1 big city that would make it 9.8 million or if Chicago merged it would also bring it's total population to 5 million
So it's just different politics in different areas but socal as a whole is by far the most populated region in America without merging or.adding on other cities and states....that's something alot of new Yorkers don't even know
That they're population is really a merger instead of the population of Manhattan by itself
I'm not seeing the analogy here. LA did heavy annexation in its early years and its physical area is actually quite a bit larger than NYC's. I mean, you could make the same argument with annexation for Los Angeles and reduce LA down to only its central area around downtown which would likewise leave a much smaller city. As a LA native, LA's history has always been fascinating to me. Did you know that LA was only a 28 square mile area (compared to Manhattan's 23 square miles) around downtown all the way up until the 1890s. Coincidentally, NYC's amalgamation with Brooklyn, Queens, et al was also done only in the 1890s.

And I'm not saying you're one of those people, but people in Los Angeles seem to be particularly uninterested or unknowledgeable about their own city's history. It's weird, because a lot of people pride themselves on their city's history, and LA certainly has a lot of pride and a lot of interesting history but it seems like relatively few people know much about it. Contrasting with Philadelphia or NYC where even some transplants seem to end up picking up a lot of historical tidbits.

Anyhow, back on topic.

I think the only way NYC will be passed up in population is if some of the larger cities do some city-county amalgamation or a lot of big annexations. On the metro level, I can see the LA CSA passing the NYC CSA, but not at all guaranteed.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-28-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,129,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not seeing the analogy here. LA did heavy annexation in its early years and its physical area is actually quite a bit larger than NYC's. I mean, you could make the same argument with annexation for Los Angeles and reduce LA down to only its central area around downtown which would likewise leave a much smaller city. As a LA native, LA's history has always been fascinating to me. Did you know that LA was only a 28 square mile area (compared to Manhattan's 23 square miles) around downtown all the way up until the 1890s. Coincidentally, NYC's amalgamation with Brooklyn, Queens, et al was also done only in the 1890s.

And I'm not saying you're one of those people, but people in Los Angeles seem to be particularly uninterested or unknowledgeable about their own city's history. It's weird, because a lot of people pride themselves on their city's history, and LA certainly has a lot of pride and a lot of interesting history but it seems like relatively few people know much about it. Contrasting with Philadelphia or NYC where even some transplants seem to end up picking up a lot of historical tidbits.

Anyhow, back on topic.

I think the only way NYC will be passed up in population is if some of the larger cities do some city-county amalgamation or a lot of big annexations. On the metro level, I can see the LA CSA passing the NYC CSA, but not at all guaranteed.
There was a time when Western Ave was actually the western dividing line. Now it is considered Central LA, and even by some less knowledgable as the "eastside".

Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM

896 posts, read 936,419 times
Quote:

Anyhow, back on topic.

As a LA native myself I have to disagree, LA's history is not that intriguing, most historical moments in LA have happened in the past 70 years IMO

Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM

185 posts, read 374,698 times
I like how so many people hate on Phoenix yet they all predict it will be one of the largest cities.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM

786 posts, read 1,604,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
I like how so many people hate on Phoenix yet they all predict it will be one of the largest cities.
People may dislike Phoenix, but it's been growing like hell and is already one of the largest city propers.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,127,804 times
Good info bro I didn't know that but in my honest opinion los Angeles history has been amazing if you know your history from the battle of Los Angeles in 1942 when a supposedly giant UFO enganged in war with u.s military underground lizard shape city and hidden subway downtown,the Pacific streetcar that was the biggest subway/railroad in the world in the 1920"s the volcano at the la brea tar pits
It's just a lot that's not known to many people" but back on topic"2050 alot could happen
It'll be real interesting

Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM

774 posts, read 1,425,453 times
Default Comic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Yeah I'm very sure Atlanta's going to replace LA as the cultural center of the US. After that, LA will have nothing positive to be famous for. LA going to crest at 4 million and then fall back down. I can easily Atlanta making the top 10 but not the top 5. My top 5:
1.NY
2. Austin
3. Charlotte
4. San Jose
5. Philly.
Wow, I missed that one!

Old 07-28-2012, 08:14 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,127,804 times
So Austin and Charlotte in the top 5 in 40 plus years lol
Wow it's scary to know that people out there think like that

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

22,194 posts, read 23,719,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
As a LA native myself I have to disagree, LA's history is not that intriguing, most historical moments in LA have happened in the past 70 years IMO
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with--you fit the bill about exactly. You don't think much of LA's history, but have a lot of pride in LA which is exactly what I'm pointing out. In my opinion, much of LA's interesting past occurred outside the bounds of your 70 years and it would be the early history of its massive expansion from the late 1800s up until WWII. It was the water wars, massive corruption, zoot suit riots, LA noir, the birth of the modern aerospace industry, the Golden Age of Hollywood and Hollywood Babylon.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 PM

896 posts, read 936,419 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with--you fit the bill about exactly. You don't think much of LA's history, but have a lot of pride in LA which is exactly what I'm pointing out. In my opinion, much of LA's interesting past occurred outside the bounds of your 70 years and it would be the early history of its massive expansion from the late 1800s up until WWII. It was the water wars, massive corruption, zoot suit riots, LA noir, the birth of the modern aerospace industry, the Golden Age of Hollywood and Hollywood Babylon.
Not to say there weren't some interesting events before the last 70 years but in reality what you find intriguing I find mediocre at best, doesn't get my attention or most people for that matter IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City