Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NYC will still be the largest city in 2050?
Yes 628 81.56%
No 142 18.44%
Voters: 770. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
The only place I see haaving a water problem are more inland like new mexico and west texas.
That isn't true at all. L.A has already tried to tap into the Great Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Here are my predictions for the largest cities and largest metros in 2050:

By city proper

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Chicago
5. Houston
6. Dallas
7. San Antonio
8. Phoenix
9. Philadelphia
10. San Jose

By metro area

1. Los Angeles/San Diego/Tijuana MSA
2. New York/Newark/Philly MSA
3. Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington
4. Chicagoland
5. Greater Houston
6. Greater Atlanta Region (including Columbus, Macon, and Athens)
7. Miami Metro
8. San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
9. Washington/Baltimore
10. Seattle/Tacoma MSA

Old 05-10-2009, 07:41 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if L.A, Houston, Pheonix, and Atlanta started seeing negative growth in around 2020. Water is going to become a HUGE problem with rising temperatures. I know someones going to say that they'll have something ready, but its going to be so expensive for just water alone so will it even be worth it anymore?
Don't know about Phoenix and Atlanta. But Houston is fine when it comes to water. They have plenty to last for decades if not centuries.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't know about Phoenix and Atlanta. But Houston is fine when it comes to water. They have plenty to last for decades if not centuries.
Atlanta has plenty of water as well...as long as there isn't a mega-drought like the past 5 years. North Georgia gets one of the highest amounts of rainfall in the U.S.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
if Phoenix keeps growing at this rate can you imagine what it will look like 40 years from now, maybe it will be sprawled out to Flagstaff, j/k. but for real do you still think it will be attractive to alot of people? Will 110 degrees not be attractive anymore? Will people want to live so far out of the city that it takes forever just to drive into it, think about how far it will sprawl out and how crowded it will be in the next couple decades to come.

I am not hating on PHX just being realistic, the same goes for Atlanta, what will these cities look like in lets say 25 years from now, more like a Chicago or a LA?
You're not being realistic. With the implementation of light-rail in Phoenix, density is being encouraged and positive growth will be focused more on those corridors where light rail runs rather than in the outskirts. I am frankly surprised though that Albuquerque is starting to sprawl the way it is. I would have thought that city would have learned from Phoenix's "mistakes".

Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You're not being realistic. With the implementation of light-rail in Phoenix, density is being encouraged and positive growth will be focused more on those corridors where light rail runs rather than in the outskirts. I am frankly surprised though that Albuquerque is starting to sprawl the way it is. I would have thought that city would have learned from Phoenix's "mistakes".

yeah you would think it would learn from Phoenix's mistakes but the people running the city arnt the smartest people either.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 PM

No one says anything about Houston when it's probably just as sprawled as Pheonix. The inner loop is only helping Houston overall. If the inner loop where at like 3,300 people the density would be below 3,000 probably. Double Standard!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
yeah you would think it would learn from Phoenix's mistakes but the people running the city arnt the smartest people either.
Sprawl may be a mistake for a city, but it represents opportunities for land speculators and "developers". This is America, and private profit always trumps social good.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Sprawl may be a mistake for a city, but it represents opportunities for land speculators and "developers". This is America, and private profit always trumps social good.
That's very true and I'm going to rep you for it! Anyway, off on a tangent, a lot of people are really sticking to the whole Houston passing Chicago argument. What I don't get is, if the city continues to sprawl the way it is, it won't have enough housing in its boarders to add an additional 600,000+ people.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
That's very true and I'm going to rep you for it! Anyway, off on a tangent, a lot of people are really sticking to the whole Houston passing Chicago argument. What I don't get is, if the city continues to sprawl the way it is, it won't have enough housing in its boarders to add an additional 600,000+ people.
We have more than enough room left and also what lots of people leave out is the fact that Houston is built very dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City