U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,534,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Actually, I believe Montreal has the highest concentration of University students in North America(World even?).
I think that belongs to Delhi, India. There's one university that has over 2 MILLION students. That's right. TWO MILLION!!

Indira Gandhi National Open University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 03:28 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,608,271 times
Talk about just being a number...

Old 05-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Why does it take the cake easily?
One thing is that Boston has the largest amount of universities with much academic prestige in the country (I think, it may be NYC).

I guess it could be debatable between NYC and Boston.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,397,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
One thing is that Boston has the largest amount of universities with much academic prestige in the country (I think, it may be NYC).

I guess it could be debatable between NYC and Boston.
Again, why does that make it the best easily?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Again, why does that make it the best easily?
Well, because Boston has pretty much been established as the center of education in the United States long before NYC.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Well, because Boston has pretty much been established as the center of education in the United States long before NYC.
Thanks for not answering the question.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,874,214 times
Portland is a great college city. It's no Boston or NYC in this regard by any means, but still a good college city. Portland State is the largest public university in the state and it's right downtown, and then there's the venerable Lewis and Clark College, the crazy Reed College, The Art Institute of Portland, the Pacific Northwest College of Art, University of Portland (large Catholic school), and a handful of small Christian colleges and naturopathic health colleges.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,481,253 times
Quote:
Thanks for not answering the question.
I'd say it's the best. Harvard is ranked as the #1 university on the planet. Right next to it is MIT, the best tech school on the planet, and it's often ranked in the top 5 schools in the world (currently ranked #4 in the US). There's a number of reputable schools aside from the two titans:

Tufts (#28)
Brandeis (#31)
Boston College (#34)
Boston University (#60)

If you look at the map I posted on the first page, you can see just how many schools are packed into Boston and the surrounding cities/towns. There are over 250,000 college students packed into the 55 sq.miles of Boston and Cambridge. I think that's pretty deserving of the #1 ranking.

Why don't you think it's the #1 college city?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM

I went to BU, so I have plenty of first-hand experience with the topic at hand. #1 college city for what? Highest ranking schools according to US News? Super. Who cares?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,313,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd say it's the best. Harvard is ranked as the #1 university on the planet. Right next to it is MIT, the best tech school on the planet, and it's often ranked in the top 5 schools in the world (currently ranked #4 in the US). There's a number of reputable schools aside from the two titans:

Tufts (#28)
Brandeis (#31)
Boston College (#34)
Boston University (#60)

If you look at the map I posted on the first page, you can see just how many schools are packed into Boston and the surrounding cities/towns. There are over 250,000 college students packed into the 55 sq.miles of Boston and Cambridge. I think that's pretty deserving of the #1 ranking.

Why don't you think it's the #1 college city?
Fugettit tmac this guy thinks Boston sucks and Philly is the apex of scholastic America.
Everyone knows that Massachusetts is the education center of the nation. Except JHG of course.

BTW. There are two separate rankings on the USNews list. You only take into consideration the National Universities. The other rankings list is Liberal Arts Colleges of which.
Amherst is number 1 in the country
Williams is number 2 in the country
Wellesley is number 4 in the country
Smith is number 18 in the country, etc.....

Pennsylvania is well represented on this list but it still doesn't compare to Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City