U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,470,055 times

Advertisements

i am contemplating moving from LA to NYC. i've been living in LA my whole life but did visit NYC a couple times and totally loved it. i realize that visiting a city and living there are two different things, so i do plan on a longer visit in the near future on my own without family, to help me really make up my mind abt NYC.

i'm a 25 yr old male. my dating life here in LA has been practically non-existent, and that is certainly one of the reasons that made me think abt moving. i am extroverted, decent looking and have a well paying job. but it seems like over here in LA everyone is in their own lil bubble, socializing only with their own friends and friends of friends, so if you're not someone in their circle you cant meet any women =(

is it easier to meet women in NYC? i am looking for advice from men that have moved from LA or other places to NYC.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,244,626 times
A lot of us women in NYC go for guys who make a lot of money. Women here want to know they can be supported no matter what. But there are so many superficial women here who want to be given loads of money by their husbands to buy expensive materialistic stuff. I'm not one of these women, and I'm sure there's women out there not looking for a rich guy, just gotta look. But i'm just letting you know that many here are like that from what I've heard from guys.

I really wouldn't move to a city for its dating/party scene though. What are the other reasons why you want move here?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 PM

thanks for the reply. the other reasons include: more interesting work (job wise), better nightlife, seems like there's more stuff to do and easier to make friends.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,244,626 times
Well if you can afford it and don't mind being far away from what you're used to (and family), then it would be worth it

Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM

705 posts, read 3,047,702 times
what makes you think that people in NYC are gonna be different than in L.A.?

If youre 25 and having problems meeting people then you might be the problem.

I moved from San Diego to L.A. and now I have a full network of friends in L.A. Both guys and women.

I didnt know anyone besides some family in L.A.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,506,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A lot of us women in NYC go for guys who make a lot of money. Women here want to know they can be supported no matter what. But there are so many superficial women here who want to be given loads of money by their husbands to buy expensive materialistic stuff. I'm not one of these women, and I'm sure there's women out there not looking for a rich guy, just gotta look. But i'm just letting you know that many here are like that from what I've heard from guys.
Ever been to LA. Probably not much different. LA might actually be worse in that respect, as it's more about the glitz and glitter.

I think you might be overstating the amount of gold diggers though. Both LA and NYC have a large amount of educated professional women who can support themselves.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,599,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Despite all the differences that our two biggest cities have, what you said is true for both LA and NYC.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,506,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i am contemplating moving from LA to NYC. i've been living in LA my whole life but did visit NYC a couple times and totally loved it. i realize that visiting a city and living there are two different things, so i do plan on a longer visit in the near future on my own without family, to help me really make up my mind abt NYC.

i'm a 25 yr old male. my dating life here in LA has been practically non-existent, and that is certainly one of the reasons that made me think abt moving. i am extroverted, decent looking and have a well paying job. but it seems like over here in LA everyone is in their own lil bubble, socializing only with their own friends and friends of friends, so if you're not someone in their circle you cant meet any women =(

is it easier to meet women in NYC? i am looking for advice from men that have moved from LA or other places to NYC.

thanks!
I would do it if that's what you want and you can pull it off financially. You only live once! It's good to experience different places and I'm sure you will grow as a person because of it.

As far as dating goes, I'm not sure it would be any better. Both NYC and LA are full of singles who move from all over. Maybe the NYC social scene will be more suited to your personality? It is definitely easier to go out in NYC, as everything is out on the street and centralized and not dependant on driving everywhere.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
what makes you think that people in NYC are gonna be different than in L.A.?

If youre 25 and having problems meeting people then you might be the problem.

I moved from San Diego to L.A. and now I have a full network of friends in L.A. Both guys and women.

I didnt know anyone besides some family in L.A.
you may well be right. how did you manage to make a network of friends? i have a few guy friends that i hang out with, most of my college friends either live too far away or have moved to diff. cities.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM

705 posts, read 3,047,702 times
^^I met friends of friends and then became their friend. I joined groups and volunteered at different locations to meet new people and do something with my spare time. It also helps that Im not shy and can easily go up to a random person and just start a conversation to try to make new relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City