U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 PM

795 posts, read 2,181,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned I grew up visiting Chicago all the time, my moms side of the family is all from there. My grandfather is a Northwestern alum, my uncle lives in Rogers Park... and I have lived there several years, Just left September of last year... That is just what I think about it, not sure what was so bad about my post. I just don't think it is #2 in every category. Business and skyscrapers...sure.
population? no
arts? no
music? no
transportation? no
educated? no
universities? no
entertainment? no
weather? no
cosmopolitan? no
theater? no
crime? no
beaches? no
mountains? no
scenery? no
cost of living? no
food? no

it is up there for sure but people on here act like it is #2 city across the board in the u.s.. People try to put it on the level of nyc/london/paris. It isn't.
I said it is in the top 5 or 6 in about every category though. I think that is pretty good and well rounded, not sure why you got your panties in a bunch.
I've been to every single big city in north america and western europe...every single one of them. Sorry but Chicago is NOT the be all end all on this.
How many other cities can claim to be in the top 5 or 6 of every category?

Last edited by houstoner; 05-09-2009 at 12:45 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,897,992 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Is it so hard to imagine that there are so many people that do not consider Chicago special?

This is so funny esepcially if you ever visit Chicago and listen to the locals: according to them Chicago is the mother of all cities and invented all the big things that are urban...
Even local press signgs the same song there. That's so funny when Chicagoans who were brought up on such nonsense since childhood face people from other cities only to find out that Chicago does exist but it is not perceived the way Chicagoans think it is... LMAO...

Just look at US celebrities... How is that possible that they do not want to experience this great, vibrant, cultured place and like Madonna spend 40 mil on some house in that rat-infested snotty New York instead.. How is that possible, Cupcake? Are all US celebrities so dumb? Some of them must have been to Chicago? How come they do not want to stay? I can't believe it... LMAO

Last edited by houstoner; 05-09-2009 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,460,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
How many other cities can claim to be in the top 5 or 6 of every category?
in the u.s. 3 or 4.. .maybe. chi/nyc/la .. but not sure about a 4th..

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 PM

0 posts, read 1,340,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
It's called persecution complex.... Just so you know, dementor does not create other aliases and grapico, DC-finest, eurous and others are all real people

Is it so hard to imagine that there are so many people that do not consider Chicago special?

This is so funny esepcially if you ever visit Chicago and listen to the locals: according to them Chicago is the mother of all cities and invented all the big things that are urban...
Even local press signgs the same song there. That's so funny when Chicagoans who were brought up on such nonsense since childhood face people from other cities only to find out that Chicago does exist but it is not perceived the way Chicagoans think it is... LMAO...

Just look at US celebrities... How is that possible that they do not want to experience this great, vibrant, cultured place and like Madonna spend 40 mil on some house in that rat-infested snotty New York instead.. How is that possible, Cupcake? Are all US celebrities so dumb? Some of them must have been to Chicago? How come they do not want to stay? I can't believe it... LMAO
Why Madonna bought a $40 million dollar town house in NYC? Because celebrities, socialites, creative people (i.e. designers and such) live in good places, like Manhattan, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, The Hamptons, London. Even many international royalty (i.e. the Dutchess of York) live/own homes in Manhattan but nowhere else in the US.

Why would they live in a stupid city like Chicago? Even Chicago-born creative type mostly live in New York City. Isn't Madonna from Detroit/Chicago i.e. the dead Midwest? No wonder she tried to rid herself of her former identity and fake a British accent. Nothing goes on in Chicago and it is usually not on important people's radar

Last edited by Americanboy; 05-08-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Oh yea and New York City has better/more avant garde modern architecture than Chicago. I used to think they were equal when it came to true modern architecture until I actually went around Manhattan last week and was struck by how many beautiful modern cutting edge avant-garde buildings going up everywhere downtown.

There were way more of them in NYC than Chicago, but nobody in NY makes a big deal of them whereas in Chicago they would boast since the city itself is extremely inferior to NYC.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,048,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Oh yea and New York City has better modern architecture than Chicago. I used to think otherwise until I actually went around Manhattan last week and was struck by so much modern cutting edge avant-garde buildings going up everywhere downtown.

Way more than Chicago, but nobody in NY makes a big deal of or they just blend into the thousands of buildings in NYC.
Funny, people in Chicago don't make a big deal out of it either. There are a few posters on this forum who like to bash certain cities, and people who respond or defend. Most of the general population is totally unaware of this, in any of our big cities.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,460,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Oh yea and New York City has better/more avant garde modern architecture than Chicago. I used to think they were equal when it came to true modern architecture until I actually went around Manhattan last week and was struck by how many beautiful modern cutting edge avant-garde buildings going up everywhere downtown.

There were way more of them in NYC than Chicago, but nobody in NY makes a big deal of them whereas in Chicago they would boast since the city itself is extremely inferior to NYC.
Buildings in Chicago are better placed and easier to see, there are lots more hidden gems in NYC, you can't see them looking at a few skyline angles as you can with majority of Chicago buildings. I've gotten lost walking around several times in NYC but never got lost in Chicago.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Buildings in Chicago are better placed and easier to see, there are lots more hidden gems in NYC, you can't see them looking at a few skyline angles as you can with majority of Chicago buildings. I've gotten lost walking around several times in NYC but never got lost in Chicago.
So true, here are some of the nice ones I remember..

Last edited by Americanboy; 05-09-2009 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,425,092 times
^Nice pics. Unfortunately, too many personal attacks have lead to this thread getting shut down. Say good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City