Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,180,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Yeah, that's next on my list. The place I visited *supposedly* got their recipes from Philadelphia. However, the sandwich was small, and it really tasted more like it was intentioned for a Chicago palate--i.e. somebody who would appreciate an Italian Beef more than a Cheesesteak. It was good but kind of a let down.

Have you ever been to Philly's Best?
It's well known that the secret to the cheesesteak is in our water. Doesn't matter if the Philly's Best guys are from here, it's not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Yeah, that's next on my list. The place I visited *supposedly* got their recipes from Philadelphia. However, the sandwich was small, and it really tasted more like it was intentioned for a Chicago palate--i.e. somebody who would appreciate an Italian Beef more than a Cheesesteak. It was good but kind of a let down.

Have you ever been to Philly's Best?
haha uhhh yeah... it is the best one I've had outside of philadelphia...though I've only had one of them in Philadelphia which was supposed to be "the place" to go to get one.. If you get their flyer from the restaurant I remember it going on about how they came to Chicago, nobody made a damn decent cheesesteak, so they opened their own place.

The one I went to is in Greektown and was only open for a bit before I moved.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 AM

633 posts, read 1,435,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Gonna have to disagree here. If you move to Chicago from some other US location, the difference is noticable. Chicago food is a cut above.
The competition demands it. When I moved to the area a few years ago I definitely noticed the difference. Perhaps if you've always lived there, it would be hard to tell, but there is a difference. If I'm hungry, I wish I am in Chicago!
He doesn't live in Chicago. Dementor's hobby is to insult Chicago without having ever been here. He lives in White Plains, a distant exurb of NYC.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post

SF beats Chicago in Chinese, Southeast Asian (vietnamese, thai, etc...), Mexican, Sushi, Middle-Eastern, Indian, African, American fine dining, seafood, and many more types of food.

Chicago beats SF for hot dogs, pizza, sandwiches, and greek.
Corrected version:

SF beats Chicago in Chinese,Burmese,Filipino,Raw Food and American fine dining.

Chicago beats SF for hot dogs, pizza, Delis,Greek,Polish,Serbian,German,Jamaican,Cuban, Mexican,Vietnamese(check out Argyle St.),Indian,Ethiopian,Soul Food and many more types of food.

Call it a tie for Thai and Japanese. Everywhere has Thai restaurants now. Even Milwaukee has more than a dozen. I haven't seen anything in the city of SF to compare with the magnificent Mitsuwa market in Arlington Heights. Nijiya is ok but not in the same league.

Devon Ave. is the premier "Little India" area in the U.S. Nothing in SF comes remotely close. If you go down to Sunnyvale or Fremont there is great authentic Indian food. There is also one really authentic Indian vegetarian place in San Mateo.

The food I really miss is Jamaican. Chicago has at least a dozen places compared to zero in SF.

Last edited by capoeira; 05-12-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Corrected version:

SF beats Chicago in Chinese,Burmese,Filipino,Raw Food and American fine dining.

Chicago beats SF for hot dogs, pizza, Delis,Greek,Polish,Serbian,German,Jamaican,Cuban, Mexican,Vietnamese(check out Argyle St.),Indian,Ethiopian,Soul Food and many more types of food.

Call it a tie for Thai and Japanese. Everywhere has Thai restaurants now. Even Milwaukee has more than a dozen. I haven't seen anything in the city of SF to compare with the magnificent Mitsuwa market in Arlington Heights. Nijiya is ok but not in the same league.

Devon St. is the premier "Little India" area in the U.S. Nothing in SF comes remotely close. If you go down to Sunnyvale or Fremont there is great authentic Indian food. There is also one really authentic Indian vegetarian place in San Mateo.

The food I really miss is Jamaican. Chicago has at least a dozen places compared to zero in SF.
Great post. I never knew Chicago's Devon Street was THE Little India in the US. Very interesting. I've been meaning to take the woman up there, and I will one of these days.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,500,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
It's well known that the secret to the cheesesteak is in our water. Doesn't matter if the Philly's Best guys are from here, it's not the same.
That's what everyone says about the greatness of their town's particular special food. It's always the water.

The sno-cones in Chicago are the best, especially the plain ones.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,211,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
That's it? You can get that in any big city... C'mon let's get interesting.
That's one neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,010,844 times
New Orleans hands down. The food here makes you wanna slap yo mama. Even the Mexican tamales and crispy tacos in New Orleans are better that the ones I had in San Antonio or Houston

Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
That's it? You can get that in any big city... C'mon let's get interesting.
Haha! Right. You'd have to go all the way out to Brooklyn to get to NYC's one Albanian restaurant. And it's "Italian and Albanian." There are dozens in Chicago.

"Let's get realistic."

Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,372,545 times
Why do these stupid threads always make a turn for the worst? Realistically, concerning "street food" the list probably goes like this:

1) NYC - clearly #1

2) Chicago, Philly, SF, LA - Can probably all make a claim for #2, none of these cities are leaps and bounds ahead of one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City