Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,274,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
He doesn't live in Chicago. Dementor's hobby is to insult Chicago without having ever been here. He lives in White Plains, a distant exurb of NYC.
Why do you post nonsence like this, kid? As opposed to you who live in real exurb of Chicago (anybody can find Lombard on the map and see how far it is from Chicago) I live in Chicago and talk about the city from my own experience. I live here, I work here, I pay my taxes here and can't believe how terrible this place is. Of course to you, a kid from far away suburbs the city may seem like a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Haha! Right. You'd have to go all the way out to Brooklyn to get to NYC's one Albanian restaurant. And it's "Italian and Albanian." There are dozens in Chicago.

"Let's get realistic."
Realistic? There are not that many Albanian restaurants because there is nothing special about Albanian food. Albanian is pretty much the same as the rest of the Balkans and there are plenty of restaurants of that kind.
Have you ever been to New York, kid? This is where the rich and famous live and dine. If there is any interesting cuisine it is represented in New York. Remember this is where Wall Street, United Nations, media executives and stars dine. This is New York you are talking about not boring Chicago.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Why do these stupid threads always make a turn for the worst? Realistically, concerning "street food" the list probably goes like this:

1) NYC - clearly #1

2) Chicago, Philly, SF, LA - Can probably all make a claim for #2, none of these cities are leaps and bounds ahead of one another.
prelude, I think we owe some credit to LA and SF for the famous oriental cuisine available there but I agree New York is number one, simply because it is the United Nations of food....

Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 PM

633 posts, read 1,435,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Why do you post nonsence like this, kid? As opposed to you who live in real exurb of Chicago (anybody can find Lombard on the map and see how far it is from Chicago) I live in Chicago and talk about the city from my own experience. I live here, I work here, I pay my taxes here and can't believe how terrible this place is. Of course to you, a kid from far away suburbs the city may seem like a dream.
LOL. I'm in Chicago right now. Let's meet up. I'm at Clark and Madison, in my office, where I work every day. Later, I'll be home in Lombard, twenty miles west, and very much urbanized.

You will still be in White Plains, NY.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Realistic? There are not that many Albanian restaurants because there is nothing special about Albanian food. Albanian is pretty much the same as the rest of the Balkans and there are plenty of restaurants of that kind.
Have you ever been to New York, kid? This is where the rich and famous live and dine. If there is any interesting cuisine it is represented in New York. Remember this is where Wall Street, United Nations, media executives and stars dine. This is New York you are talking about not boring Chicago.
So, when New York has something (like Albanian--you thought), it is worthwhile. When New York lacks something (like Albanian, it turns out), you stoop to insulting a whole race of people.

Red triangle - *click*

Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
LOL. I'm in Chicago right now. Let's meet up. I'm at Clark and Madison, in my office, where I work every day. Later, I'll be home in Lombard, twenty miles west, and very much urbanized.

You will still be in White Plains, NY.

There is no cure for paranoia.

PS. Lombard urbanized? LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There is no cure for paranoia.

PS. Lombard urbanized? LOL
LOL @ ignorance

Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 PM

793 posts, read 1,444,827 times
Quote:
The food I really miss is Jamaican. Chicago has at least a dozen places compared to zero in SF.
Both Chicago and SF are pretty horrible when it comes to Jamaican and West Indian food in general.

The only two cities outside of Jamaica that do it consistently are Brooklyn, Hartford and South Florida. For other West Indian foods the best for Trini/Guyanese are Toronto and NYC; Haitian South Florida, Boston and Montreal. I am not saying that there are not exceptions in other cities (ie: One of my favorite Jamaican restaurants outside JA is here in Boston) but overall there are only a couple North American cities that do it consistently.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM

793 posts, read 1,444,827 times
As far as "unique" cuisine go in cities how about Nepali food in Boston, there are only a handful of great Nepali restaurants in the US and the Boston area actually has 5 (which are excellent)

Also try finding Cape Verdian food outside of Massachusetts, it is delicious and unique to the area.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Both Chicago and SF are pretty horrible when it comes to Jamaican and West Indian food in general.

The only two cities outside of Jamaica that do it consistently are Brooklyn, Hartford and South Florida. For other West Indian foods the best for Trini/Guyanese are Toronto and NYC; Haitian South Florida, Boston and Montreal. I am not saying that there are not exceptions in other cities (ie: One of my favorite Jamaican restaurants outside JA is here in Boston) but overall there are only a couple North American cities that do it consistently.
I believe the poster you were quoting simply intended to bring SF down a notch, rather than express how great Jamaican food was in Chicago. Of course I could be wrong, but after reading a few of this person's posts I've begun to see a pattern.

But realistically speaking, I'm not aware of any true Jamaican or West Indian restaurants out this way, seeing as we don't have a very large representation of those ethnicities out here. I'd love to try it tho. That'd be one of the few regions whose cuisine I do believe is under-represented in the Bay Area. Sri Lankan too, now that the few I've read about no longer seem to exist. I was able to find one in NYC, and I believe that was the only one currently there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City