U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 AM

246 posts, read 682,411 times

Advertisements

I might agree with that...the rest of the list seems pretty spot on, though.

Both are two of the best food towns in the country, no doubt. For cheap eats and fine dining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I actually think Chicago beats SF in Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM

246 posts, read 682,411 times
Heres a quote from an article in the New Yorker:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061212093153rn_2/www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/030120fa_fact?030120fa_fact (broken link)

"In San Francisco the burrito has been refined and embellished in much the same way that the pizza has been refined and embellished in Chicago. The San Francisco burrito, which is customarily wrapped in aluminum foil even if you have no intention of leaving the premises, is distinguished partly by the amount of rice and other side dishes included in the package and partly by sheer size. ("Out to Eat," the Lonely Planet guide to San Francisco restaurants, describes the Mission burrito as "a perfect rolled-up meal," and I would differ only in describing it as "two or three perfect rolled-up meals.") It is also so good that at times I've been tempted to put it on my list of favorite dishes that rarely seem to be served outside their place of origin.

Serious eaters in San Francisco tend to be loyal to their own burrito purveyor. Abigail, for instance, is a Taquería La Cumbre person. In the spirit in which a rabid baseball fan from St. Louis might hand out Cardinals caps, she once presented me with a T-shirt whose front is almost totally taken up by La Cumbre's logo—a heroic painting of a sort of Latinized Ava Gardner wearing crossed bandoliers and carrying both a bugle and an unfurled Mexican flag. My childhood friend Growler Ed Williams, who teaches Spanish literature at San Francisco State, is a Taquería Pancho Villa person. I know perfectly respectable people whose loyalty is to Taquería Cancún, which is only a few blocks from Abigail's house. I have had terrific burritos at all three. I can understand a reluctance to leave a place within easy shooting distance of the Mission."

Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 AM

2,642 posts, read 4,818,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Of course SF and the rest of the bay area has better mexican food that Chicago. this really shouldnt be a debate.
Of course since all the best burrito chefs from Mexico City come straight to San Francisco to ply their trade!

Let's look at these numbers from city data. SF population 764,976. Hispanic 14.1%. Chicago population 2,836,658 Hispanic 31.3% = 887,873 persons of Hispanic heritage. Now of course some of these will be Central & South American and Puerto Rican but most are Mexican. Chicago has more people of Mexican heritage than San Francisco has people. Now logically which city most likely has the most authentic Mexican food?

The difference is that a lot of the best Mexican food in Chicago is served in neighborhoods that non Spanish speakers never go to.

Chinese is one cuisine that is exceptional in San Francisco. They probably have more Dim Sum places in SF than in all the states from Illinois to Nevada combined.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Of course since all the best burrito chefs from Mexico City come straight to San Francisco to ply their trade!

Let's look at these numbers from city data. SF population 764,976. Hispanic 14.1%. Chicago population 2,836,658 Hispanic 31.3% = 887,873 persons of Hispanic heritage. Now of course some of these will be Central & South American and Puerto Rican but most are Mexican. Chicago has more people of Mexican heritage than San Francisco has people. Now logically which city most likely has the most authentic Mexican food?

The difference is that a lot of the best Mexican food in Chicago is served in neighborhoods that non Spanish speakers never go to.

Chinese is one cuisine that is exceptional in San Francisco. They probably have more Dim Sum places in SF than in all the states from Illinois to Nevada combined.
oh here we go, the arbitrary city limit argument...
FAIL.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 AM

2,642 posts, read 4,818,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post

I ask you, capoeira, to try a burrito at El Farolito on 24th and Mission or La Taqueria (or any of the nearby taquerias) and to compare it to your favorite Chicago taqueria.
I tried the El Farolito in the Excelsior neighborhood a while back. At the time I thought it was ok and preferred Taqueria Guadalajara. Now Guadalajara has a new owner and it isn't the same.

I guess I will try the Mission St. El Farolito and the third one farther east on 24th. Sometimes it takes a few trips to really check out a restaurant. I went to one place that made mediocre medium size burritos in the daytime and giant burritos at night when different people were working.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 AM

221 posts, read 709,674 times
Actually, the Bay Area has over twice as many hispanics (by percentage) than Chicagoland:

Chicago CSA:
9,785,747 total population
1,494,657 hispanic
15% of CSA is hispanic
28% of Chicago is hispanic

SF Metro:
7,264,887 total population
2,358,182 hispanic
32% of CSA is Hispanic
14% of San Francisco is hispanic

And, here are hispanic populations above the national average for cities within a 15 mile radius of SF city limits:

The Peninsula, below SF:
-San Bruno: 44.12%
-South San Francisco : 31.84%
-Daly City: 22.27% (borders SF)
-San Mateo: 20.52%
-Burlingame: 17.64%

East Bay:
-Richmond: 26.53%
-San Leandro: 20.06%
-Oakland: 15% (borders SF)
Quote:
I tried the El Farolito in the Excelsior neighborhood a while back. At the time I thought it was ok and preferred Taqueria Guadalajara. Now Guadalajara has a new owner and it isn't the same.
Quote:

I guess I will try the Mission St. El Farolito and the third one farther east on 24th. Sometimes it takes a few trips to really check out a restaurant. I went to one place that made mediocre medium size burritos in the daytime and giant burritos at night when different people were working.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:23 AM

32,338 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I actually think Chicago beats SF in Indian.
You need to leave The City because the South Bay has the best indian food Ive eaten anywhere in the US.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Th

Btw, have you tried any of the Nepalese or Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants in Berkeley/Oakland/SF? Just curious about any recommendations.
Yes, along Telegraph in Oakland(specifically in the Temescal District) there are are quite a few Ethiopian/Eritrean Restaurants(I think Oakland has a Eritrean Consulate?). One I like is called Addis Ababa and the kitfo is really good.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
Actually, the Bay Area has over twice as many hispanics (by percentage) than Chicagoland:

Chicago CSA:
9,785,747 total population
1,494,657 hispanic
15% of CSA is hispanic
28% of Chicago is hispanic

SF Metro:
7,264,887 total population
2,358,182 hispanic
32% of CSA is Hispanic
14% of San Francisco is hispanic

And, here are hispanic populations above the national average for cities within a 15 mile radius of SF city limits:

What is your source for this data? Im not saying your wrong but Ive seen another person quote this same CSA data but it doesnt coincide with the Census Bureau.

Chicago CSA Hispanic Population 1,871,016(19.2%)
Bay Area CSA Hispanic Population 1,630,013(22.4%)

Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,662,635 times
Quote:
I didn't realize all the best burrito chefs came from Mexico City, considering the burrito was invented in the US.

What is a "burrito chef" anyway?

Quote:
So you're basing your assumption on population numbers?? Since Chicago's overall Latin population outnumbers SF's, that somehow correlates to the food quality? Talk about arbitrary criteria. By your logic, Chicago has better Mexican food - and always will as long as the population remains large - than San Jose, San Diego, and any other smaller city in CA, TX or AZ simply based on the number of Hispanic residents it has. That makes no sense at all. The overall population is not telling of: 1) the number of cooks there is in each respective city, and 2) the quality of any of the restaurants. Just b/c there are a lot of them doesn't make their restaurants either good or bad.

And isn't Chicago's Latino population like half Puerto Rican? I thought Mexicans would make up less than half of its total Hispanic population.

Regardless, as Erin posted already, the Bay Area has a larger Hispanic population than Chicago, so by your own logic it must have the better/more authentic Mexican cuisine. (I believe the Bay Area's Hispanic population consists of more Mexicans than Chicago's). And in regards to the City of SF, there is so much variation in style and quality from restaurant to restaurant and taqueria to taqueria that you'd need to try a lot more than you have before you can write off SF. At least if you want to have an educated view and not just try to bash the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City