U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 AM

467 posts, read 770,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
i'm a chef and the same is said about italian cuisine....and yes there upscale. You don't have to like the cuisine, but its a very well respected cuisine ranked as on of the best.
ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 AM

22,120 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Do you know of any truly upscale, internationally famous Mexican restaurants? For me it's peasants food. Not really sophisticated, not really interesting. Beans and more beans.
You mean like Sandoval's Maya? I guess it's the best you can get in NYC, though there are some really choice places in LA that have it handedly beat. And yea, it can certainly be peasants food because it runs the gamut, though there's an odd stigma against Mexican cuisine that some diners have (though seldom chefs it seems) that makes them unwilling to pay in a certain price range for really well-done Mexican food (the same goes for most ethnic foods outside of Western Europe and Japan).

And since you're so big on upscale dining, then you'll probably recognize the huge influence Mexican cuisine has on New American Cuisine--which is about as lauded as it gets. Though I guess believing Mexican cuisine is beans and more beans probably means you won't be able to notice it.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:24 AM

467 posts, read 770,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oycrumbler View Post
you mean like sandoval's maya? I guess it's the best you can get in nyc, though there are some really choice places in la that have it handedly beat. And yea, it can certainly be peasants food because it runs the gamut, though there's an odd stigma against mexican cuisine that some diners have (though seldom chefs it seems) that makes them unwilling to pay in a certain price range for really well-done mexican food (the same goes for most ethnic foods outside of western europe and japan).

And since you're so big on upscale dining, then you'll probably recognize the huge influence mexican cuisine has on new american cuisine--which is about as lauded as it gets. Though i guess believing mexican cuisine is beans and more beans probably means you won't be able to notice it.
ok

Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 AM

633 posts, read 1,256,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
ok
He likes you.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 AM

21 posts, read 59,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You mean like Sandoval's Maya? I guess it's the best you can get in NYC, though there are some really choice places in LA that have it handedly beat. And yea, it can certainly be peasants food because it runs the gamut, though there's an odd stigma against Mexican cuisine that some diners have (though seldom chefs it seems) that makes them unwilling to pay in a certain price range for really well-done Mexican food (the same goes for most ethnic foods outside of Western Europe and Japan).

And since you're so big on upscale dining, then you'll probably recognize the huge influence Mexican cuisine has on New American Cuisine--which is about as lauded as it gets. Though I guess believing Mexican cuisine is beans and more beans probably means you won't be able to notice it.
when it comes to mexican food, who cares about cuisine and resturants.
down in southern cali we got somethin called taco shops. quick, easy, and the most delicious mexican youll ever have

Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM

2,958 posts, read 5,662,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The SF burrito is basically the same exact thing as what Qdoba and Chipotle sell. Big whoop.
If you actually believe this then you've already invalidated your own opinion. That's about as true as saying that Red Robin is basically the same exact thing as what McDonalds and Burger King sell.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,486,129 times
I really like Moroccan, Greek, Caribbean, and Cuban dishes. What city is a good city for all of that?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 AM

22,120 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw619 View Post
when it comes to mexican food, who cares about cuisine and resturants.
down in southern cali we got somethin called taco shops. quick, easy, and the most delicious mexican youll ever have
Sorry guy, I love socal, but Mexican in Oaxaca is better.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I really like Moroccan, Greek, Caribbean, and Cuban dishes. What city is a good city for all of that?

I'm sure there are cuban restaurants around, but my neighborhood in NYC (Astoria) specializes in Moroccan and Greek dishes. They are AMAZING. Steinway st here in Queens is lined with Egyptian and Moroccan restaurants, but the area around Ditmars blvd and 31 street has TONS of greek restaurants with newly immigrated Greeks. We have the highest density of greeks.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM

2,958 posts, read 5,662,635 times
Quote:
sarcasm - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
You are obviously not familiar with the concept of sarcasm.
Its both sad and ironic that you would post this in response to the actual usage of sarcasm.

Quote:
I would imagine that cities with the most Mexican residents (Chicago, LA) are going to have the best Mexican food, just as I would imagine the cities with the most Chinese residents (NYC, SF) are going to have the best Chinese food.
Well I understand your reason for assuming so, but that is based on nothing more than fluff. It only takes one restaurant to produce the best of the best cuisine, so it really would not matter how many sub par restaurants in the same category are located close by, nor how large the population is. Generally speaking, what you have stated is the way things play out, but you can't just apply it as a rule. Like I said, your logic would eliminate many cities with excellent food from contention in various areas simply b/c a particular ethnic population is larger in another city. That's not formulating an educated opinion; that's simply identifying where a larger gathering is.

Quote:
Not even close. While Chicago does have the 2nd largest PR population after NYC, they only account for 3.9% of Chicago's population.
Well I'd asked in regards to the Hispanic population, but I looked it up myself and I see its only 15% of that vs. the Mexican population which is almost 5 times that. Interesting, w/o actually ever seeing any figures I would have assumed Puerto Ricans accounted for a larger chunk of the population based on nothing more than media representation. Thank you for correcting my false assumption.

Quote:
As I have already stated Hispanic does not equal Mexican. 46.6% of the Bay Area's Hispanic population is White. Mexicans only account for 16.8% of the Bay Area's population.
I'm not going to even bother doing the research to either verify or dispute the figure you just gave here b/c it is a moot point. The number of residents does not define the quality of food, point blank. And to use the figures you have posted ("There are 1,210,510 Mexicans living in the San Francisco Bay Area and 1,425,994 Mexicans living in Chicagoland."), with a claim of Chicago having the better food based on it having a marginally larger population is a perfect example of how this is baseless criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City