Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Possible reasons why Mexican cuisine is awesome:

- it was host to two (arguably three) empires with a lot of time and a pampered royalty/nobility for which to develop awesome food which some see as almost a prerequisite for developing a truly great cuisine

- the country's been host to an intense and ongoing "fusion" cuisine that's developed over centuries

- its terrain (and thus climates) is incredibly diverse and much of its soil is quite fertile so a very large variety of ingredients, and thus regional cuisines, were developed there, some of which haven't been exported as widely as I'd like them to be (various sapotes, huitlacoche, nopales, various herbs, etc).

This isn't to say other Latin American countries don't have great food or that much of what is great in Mexican cuisine can't be found in that of other Latin American countries, but Mexican cuisine is going to be the first that most people in the States will be exposed to.

Anyhow, I vote for the SF. Great dim sum, great (Americanized and otherwise) Mexican food, great Western haute cuisine, ongoing experimentation and lots of fresh interesting produce--pretty much everything I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 PM

21 posts, read 68,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry guy, I love socal, but Mexican in Oaxaca is better.
alright let me be specific. the southern half of san diego. try ordering a california burrito there. or any carne asada dish.
i guarentee you will reconsider

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw619 View Post
alright let me be specific. the southern half of san diego. try ordering a california burrito there. or any carne asada dish.
i guarentee you will reconsider
I guarantee that in the nearly two decades I lived in socal, having gone to the many places in the area including the southern half of San Diego and having eaten "california burritos" and many carne asada dishes that I will not reconsider in the near future. California burritos and carne asada dishes? Shouldn't you be playing to San Diego's strengths instead i.e. awesome fish tacos?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Do you know of any truly upscale, internationally famous Mexican restaurants? For me it's peasants food. Not really sophisticated, not really interesting. Beans and more beans.
And you are.......royalty?? Do you refuse to eat the same cuisine as what is enjoyed by the serfs? I suppose its nothing less than duck confit and coq au vin for you? Does every meal have to be "sophisticated" in order for it to be quality?

Maybe you should try slumming it once in a while to get some perspective. You're missing out on a lot of great food by limiting yourself and making assumptions rather than experiencing the cuisine. I might be mistaken, but I believe I found a piece of meat in my Mexican food once. Not quite sure, but there is a strong possibility that it wasn't a huge bean.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm sure there are cuban restaurants around, but my neighborhood in NYC (Astoria) specializes in Moroccan and Greek dishes. They are AMAZING. Steinway st here in Queens is lined with Egyptian and Moroccan restaurants, but the area around Ditmars blvd and 31 street has TONS of greek restaurants with newly immigrated Greeks. We have the highest density of greeks.
Awesome! I may have to check it out sometime.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
And you are.......royalty?? Do you refuse to eat the same cuisine as what is enjoyed by the serfs? I suppose its nothing less than duck confit and coq au vin for you? Does every meal have to be "sophisticated" in order for it to be quality?

Maybe you should try slumming it once in a while to get some perspective. You're missing out on a lot of great food by limiting yourself and making assumptions rather than experiencing the cuisine. I might be mistaken, but I believe I found a piece of meat in my Mexican food once. Not quite sure, but there is a strong possibility that it wasn't a huge bean.
He's just pretending, don't worry. He acts like that for the attention.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:41 AM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
Jjacobeclark said:

The SF burrito is basically the same exact thing as what Qdoba and Chipotle sell. Big whoop.

Wow, you have just completely destroyed any credibility you may have possibly had on this issue. Qdoba and Chipotle are terrible, not edible in my opinion. Flavorless cardboard garbage.

A good San Francisco burrito is about as good as food gets...Their full-flavor and subtlety are beyond description. One of those things where the food just melts in you mouth and you dread the moment when it is finished. Just because SF burritos often have a little rice in them doesnt in any way equate them with those garbage chains. The quality of the tortillas, the spicing of the meat, the amazing flavors and freshness of the other ingredients...these are the things that make San Francisco burritos the best Ive ever had.

Now, I do agree that many of the sit-down mexican restaurants in the bay area are not as good as some other cities...But for taquerias, and burritos especially, its the best IMO (And Ive been to taquerias in many, many cities).

Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Mexican Food Cities

Best Mexican Plate>>>>San Antonio
Best enchildas>>>Santa Fe
Best Tamales- SW Louisiana
Best Mexican Seafood> Houston
Best electic dishes-Los Angeles
Best Tacos>San Antonio/Brownsville

cities

Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I really like Moroccan, Greek, Caribbean, and Cuban dishes. What city is a good city for all of that?
I got some decent Jamaican in Harrisburg, PA.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Jjacobeclark said:

The SF burrito is basically the same exact thing as what Qdoba and Chipotle sell. Big whoop.

Wow, you have just completely destroyed any credibility you may have possibly had on this issue. Qdoba and Chipotle are terrible, not edible in my opinion. Flavorless cardboard garbage.

A good San Francisco burrito is about as good as food gets...Their full-flavor and subtlety are beyond description. One of those things where the food just melts in you mouth and you dread the moment when it is finished. Just because SF burritos often have a little rice in them doesnt in any way equate them with those garbage chains. The quality of the tortillas, the spicing of the meat, the amazing flavors and freshness of the other ingredients...these are the things that make San Francisco burritos the best Ive ever had.

Now, I do agree that many of the sit-down mexican restaurants in the bay area are not as good as some other cities...But for taquerias, and burritos especially, its the best IMO (And Ive been to taquerias in many, many cities).
Agreed for the street food... in my limited experience though the sit down in Chicago is better than SF mexican...
(don't hate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City