Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Whereever you can get a Paczki daily is the best city for food.
The famous Polish greasy donuts? Be carefull with those, each one is woth a billion of callories.

Seriously now, New York is the best town for food, due to its size, being a internationla port, largest foreign born population and abundance of the rich and famous (people with money) there is no type of food or cuisine that can't be had in New York. The best New York secret though are those small mom-and-pop restaurants serving incredible home-made cooking..

If you really like Polish food check out Greenpoint in Brooklyn or Royal Warsaw Restaurant in New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:39 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
In my experience, the best food cities in the US are...

San Francisco
New Orleans
New York
Oakland(and Berkeley)
Los Angeles
Chicago
Las Vegas
Honolulu

Old 05-10-2009, 04:40 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Vegas is really overrated for food. One of my favorite restaurants is in Vegas, but overall, I dont think it touches Philly and other major cities at all.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Vegas is really overrated for food. One of my favorite restaurants is in Vegas, but overall, I dont think it touches Philly and other major cities at all.
Your probably right. I just like being able to eat late nights there.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
The famous Polish greasy donuts? Be carefull with those, each one is woth a billion of callories.

Seriously now, New York is the best town for food, due to its size, being a internationla port, largest foreign born population and abundance of the rich and famous (people with money) there is no type of food or cuisine that can't be had in New York. The best New York secret though are those small mom-and-pop restaurants serving incredible home-made cooking..

If you really like Polish food check out Greenpoint in Brooklyn or Royal Warsaw Restaurant in New Jersey.

Maspeth in Queens has a large Polish population. I get my pierogies from this one Polish grocery store. They have an amazing (and very cheap) restaurant south of the LIE. I think it's called like ABC or some weird non-polish name like that, lol.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
My experience has been that in certain cities, food is just more important. (I'm not making any connection to overweight people here, it's just a cultural thing). Two come to mind immediately: Chicago and New Orleans. Chicagoans love their food whether it be deep dish pizza or hot dogs. And frankly (pun intended), food does tend to taste better in Chicago due to the competition and the passion for it from the citizenry. New Orleans is probably driven more by tourism, but still what wonderful flavors from that city!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM

221 posts, read 798,185 times
I agree with Jman...San Diego burritos pale in comparison to Bay Area burritos. French fries in your burrito are terrible, not to mention most taquerias that Ive been to in San Diego do not spice and flavor their meat in a way that is the accepted norm in the Bay Area.

Now, as I said earlier, for sit-down places its a whole 'nother story...

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Maspeth in Queens has a large Polish population. I get my pierogies from this one Polish grocery store. They have an amazing (and very cheap) restaurant south of the LIE. I think it's called like ABC or some weird non-polish name like that, lol.
There are many neighborhood in NY with large Polish population but Maspeth in fact has one the largerst. There is something there called Polsih Alley with some good restaurants, too.

I really recommend Rotal Warsaw in New Jersey (Elmwood Park/ Garfield off rf 80)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago is #1 for street food and indulgent heart attack food. Pretty good for upscale but not the best in that category.
Now if only we can get some street vendors to serve it up!

I actually think NYC has the best street food, but Chi is probably second (maybe tied with Philly)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Now if only we can get some street vendors to serve it up!

I actually think NYC has the best street food, but Chi is probably second (maybe tied with Philly)
Yeah, the street food options here are incredible. Everything from hot dogs, to hoagies, sandwiches, to korean, japanese, chinese, thai, greek, to crepes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City