U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times

Advertisements

Guys, guys, settle down. Can't we all just agree that street food in the U.S., be it in Chicago or NYC, is subpar and monotonous compared to street food in many, many other countries? Eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,170,681 times
ya somepeople in other countries dont even get food!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM

633 posts, read 1,256,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oycrumbler View Post
guys, guys, settle down. Can't we all just agree that street food in the u.s., be it in chicago or nyc, is subpar and monotonous compared to street food in many, many other countries? Eh?
No!

We have all the world's foods here! Come to Lincoln Park and walk up Lincoln Ave. sometime.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM

2,643 posts, read 4,821,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post

We have all the world's foods here! Come to Lincoln Park and walk up Lincoln Ave. sometime.
It is true! Chicago has almost everything and beats the city of San Francisco in almost every category of ethnic food except Chinese! Go up to Argyle & Broadway for a very interesting Vietnamese area. Then there is the great authentic Indian food on Devon St. For really authentic Indian food I have to drive 47 miles south to Sunnyvale. SF has a few OK Tandoori restaurants but you rarely see an Indian person eating there. Chicago also has the great Polish food and Greek food,nothing close to it in SF,except for one Polish restaurant in the West Portal neighborhood. Next time I am in Chicago I am looking forward to heading over to Halsted St. for some Pastichio and Mousaka.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,907,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
No!

The world is very smaall when you are 800 miles from the next super big city.... Of course Chicago is lacking in oreintal food compared to LA, SF or NY that have muhc larger oriental populations.
I for one miss the wonderfull Burmese food at Village Mingala in Manhattan - beats Thai hands down. Try thousand layers cake if you ever venture there....
Now, where can I get Burmese food in Lincoln Park or any other part of Chicago

New York hosts United Nations and the city is the United Nations of national cuisine. There is virtually no country that is not represented in New York.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,556,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yeah, right. No they were introduced in Greece however the same brand frozen gyros suck everywhere else but not in Chicago
BTW. Gyros are with made with lamb, not beef...
I meant in the U.S.
We agree they don't suck in Chicago. And I know they are made from lamb.

Quote:
Yes you do. But in New York there are pizzerias almost on every corner and MOST of them sell pizza by the slice. In Chicago is not that easy
There's still loads.

Quote:
Right. McDonalds, Arbys and 7-11
Negative.

Quote:
Right. Generic Vienna dog in Chicago is better than let's say in Kantucky
No, Chicago hot dogs are better.

Quote:
Right. You call those three city blocks Chinatown?

You forgot to add that you have a baseball team, too. And it sucks.

Can Chicago be even more pretentious?. LOL
You call that empire state building tall?

Your teams suck.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM

221 posts, read 709,860 times
If this is a joke, then you have succeeded.

SF beats Chicago in Chinese, Southeast Asian (vietnamese, thai, etc...), Mexican, Sushi, Middle-Eastern, Indian, African, American fine dining, seafood, and many more types of food.

Chicago beats SF for hot dogs, pizza, sandwiches, and greek.

As for Italian and Diners, its a wash.

Overall, food in SF is way more consistant. There is no neighborhood in Chicago that can match the variety and consistancy of places like the Mission or the Marina. Plus, adjacent cities like Oakland and Berkeley also have outstanding food. There is a reason SF is one of only two cities in the US that has its own section in the Michelin guide.

It is true! Chicago has almost everything and beats the city of San Francisco in almost every category of ethnic food except Chinese! Go up to Argyle & Broadway for a very interesting Vietnamese area. Then there is the great authentic Indian food on Devon St. For really authentic Indian food I have to drive 47 miles south to Sunnyvale. SF has a few OK Tandoori restaurants but you rarely see an Indian person eating there. Chicago also has the great Polish food and Greek food,nothing close to it in SF,except for one Polish restaurant in the West Portal neighborhood. Next time I am in Chicago I am looking forward to heading over to Halsted St. for some Pastichio and Mousaka.[/quote]

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,556,493 times
Not Mexican....

Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 PM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
The world is very smaall when you are 800 miles from the next super big city.... Of course Chicago is lacking in oreintal food compared to LA, SF or NY that have muhc larger oriental populations.
I for one miss the wonderfull Burmese food at Village Mingala in Manhattan - beats Thai hands down. Try thousand layers cake if you ever venture there....
Now, where can I get Burmese food in Lincoln Park or any other part of Chicago

New York hosts United Nations and the city is the United Nations of national cuisine. There is virtually no country that is not represented in New York.
Unfortunately, hosting the UN headquarters doesn't amount to having good and diverse street food. Fine dining and cute little boutique eateries, yes. Street food? Not that impressive.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM

221 posts, read 709,860 times
Are you saying that Chicago has better mexican than the San Francisco Bay Area? Really?

San Francisco is world-renowned for the "mission" burrito and the taquerias all over the bay area (incluidng San Jose and Redwood City) are up there with the best. Even better than Arizona and much of SoCal (and Ive lived in all three).

To even bring Chicago into this conversation is silly. Ive been to several Mexican taquerias in Chicago and they were not even in the same ballpark. Yes, I know Chicagos mexican population is increasing, that doesnt mean theres good mexican food there. If you think thats good mexican food, you need to get out more! Thats like me saying San Francisco has good pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Not Mexican....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City