Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I believe the poster you were quoting simply intended to bring SF down a notch, rather than express how great Jamaican food was in Chicago. Of course I could be wrong, but after reading a few of this person's posts I've begun to see a pattern.

But realistically speaking, I'm not aware of any true Jamaican or West Indian restaurants out this way, seeing as we don't have a very large representation of those ethnicities out here. I'd love to try it tho. That'd be one of the few regions whose cuisine I do believe is under-represented in the Bay Area. Sri Lankan too, now that the few I've read about no longer seem to exist. I was able to find one in NYC, and I believe that was the only one currently there.
Ma, Tropix, Jamaica Station.

All 3 located in Oakland and serve awesome caribbean/ jamaican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Thanks, I'll check em out! The only "Jamaican" spot I could think of that I had noticed before was in that international food court in Emeryville, and I didn't even bother to try it (for obvious reasons, if you're familiar with the place I'm talking about). But I'll definitely give these places a shot!

Man, I just looked those up and I never realized how many Caribbean restaurants we have here. Its not a type of cuisine I've typically sought out before. I'll have to check some of these out. Do you have any opinion on Penny's, Pican, Jamaican Soul, Karibbean City, Our Place, etc.?

Btw, have you tried any of the Nepalese or Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants in Berkeley/Oakland/SF? Just curious about any recommendations.

Last edited by jman650; 05-12-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
LOL. I'm in Chicago right now. Let's meet up. I'm at Clark and Madison, in my office, where I work every day. Later, I'll be home in Lombard, twenty miles west, and very much urbanized.

You will still be in White Plains, NY.
do u work for cps?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I will be sure to check these out whenever I am over in the Bay Area, after looking at the Menu's though I can say that none have an authentic Jamaican menu and are more Caribbean fusion. Could you recommend an Authentic Jamaican restaurant in the Bay area? I am Jamaican so I am very picky when it comes to Jamaican food since I grew up with it.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
do u work for cps?
No, why?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
I will be sure to check these out whenever I am over in the Bay Area, after looking at the Menu's though I can say that none have an authentic Jamaican menu and are more Caribbean fusion. Could you recommend an Authentic Jamaican restaurant in the Bay area?
I just found this one in San Leandro and it looks promising! These menus look similar to the great Jamaican food I had in the Atlanta/Stone Mountain area.

http://www.sweetfingersrestaurant.com/menu4.pdf

http://sweetfingersrestaurant.com/sfrmenu.pdf

Last edited by capoeira; 05-12-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM

221 posts, read 798,245 times
Case in point. "Burritos as big as your head" is a saying that originates from the SF mission burrito. Ive already posted links to an article where an LA Times food critic says people in LA are constantly writing in and asking where they can get "SF style burritos". And a link to Jack Black (who grew up in SoCal) saying that the best burrito he ever had was in San Francisco. I could post more examples but Id be beating a dead horse.

Now, I agree there are other areas of the bay area that have, perhaps, even better Mexican food (especially Redwood City and San Jose) but Chicago really doesnt belong in this conversation. I love Chicago for many reasons, but the Mexican food there is not in the same ball park. Ive tried a handful of places that were supposed to be among the best and they were sup-par. Ive actually had better mexican food in Seattle than Chicago, which is not a good sign (Seattle mexican food generally is not very good).

San Francisco burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I ask you, capoeira, to try a burrito at El Farolito on 24th and Mission or La Taqueria (or any of the nearby taquerias) and to compare it to your favorite Chicago taqueria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
There is a great place that specializes in "Burritos as big as your head" just around the corner from my office at Clark and Madison. Tuesdays, they have 99 cent tacos!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM

221 posts, read 798,245 times
The only thing Ill give you there is the eastern European food and cuban. Other than that...no way. Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Mexican (the most obvious), Indian, Thai, Japanese, etc. SF wins out for sure. You said over a dozen thai Milwaukee, SF has hundreds, literally. Some blocks literally have 5 or 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Corrected version:

SF beats Chicago in Chinese,Burmese,Filipino,Raw Food and American fine dining.

Chicago beats SF for hot dogs, pizza, Delis,Greek,Polish,Serbian,German,Jamaican,Cuban, Mexican,Vietnamese(check out Argyle St.),Indian,Ethiopian,Soul Food and many more types of food.

Call it a tie for Thai and Japanese. Everywhere has Thai restaurants now. Even Milwaukee has more than a dozen. I haven't seen anything in the city of SF to compare with the magnificent Mitsuwa market in Arlington Heights. Nijiya is ok but not in the same league.

Devon Ave. is the premier "Little India" area in the U.S. Nothing in SF comes remotely close. If you go down to Sunnyvale or Fremont there is great authentic Indian food. There is also one really authentic Indian vegetarian place in San Mateo.

The food I really miss is Jamaican. Chicago has at least a dozen places compared to zero in SF.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 PM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
Its time to stop this madness. Of course SF and the rest of the bay area has better mexican food that Chicago. this really shouldnt be a debate.

If you think Mi Pueblo is one of the best in the bay, youve really been missing out. Try El Grullense in Redwood City, taqueria Eduardo in San Jose, Cancun Taqueria in the Mission, El Castillito in the Tenderloin, Gordos in the inner sunset--all of these and many more are far better than Mi Pueblo for burritos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Almost anywhere has better Mexican food than the city of San Francisco! They don't even know how to make the simplest of burritos,the Bean and Cheese burrito. Chicago has Rick Bayless and the Frontera Grill! No contest here. Quality over quantity.

The Mexican food does get much better and more authentic when you get out of the city of SF. There's Middlefield Road in Redwood city and Mi Pueblo markets all over the Bay area.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
The only thing Ill give you there is the eastern European food and cuban. Other than that...no way. Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Mexican (the most obvious), Indian, Thai, Japanese, etc. SF wins out for sure. You said over a dozen thai Milwaukee, SF has hundreds, literally. Some blocks literally have 5 or 6.
I actually think Chicago beats SF in Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City