U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM

0 posts, read 269,759 times
To me, The Trump Tower isn't exactly "ugly", it's just.. not in any way, shape, or form better looking than the One World Trade Center. It's just OK. It's much shorter too.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9897/freedomtowernew.jpg (broken link)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8477/view1ry6.jpg (broken link)

And yes Beekman Place blows Aqua out of the water....and I like Aqua.

And regarding height; Antennas and Spires are two different things and antenna's don't count when counting building height. The Freedom's Tower spire is massive and very much part of the building.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
The first designs for Freedom Tower were great. The scaled down, politically-corrected disaster that is currently going up is a disgrace to an otherwise magnificent cityscape. Since the same can't be said about the Trump, then yes. The Trump is better looking. Just for kicks, let's see what the Donald himself has to say about 1WTC: Trump calls Freedom Tower design 'disgusting' - Hardball with Chris Matthews- msnbc.com
And now... actual architecture critics: New York's New Tower: Is this "freedom"?
There are no scaled down versions of the Freedom Tower.

And as we speak, there are no toned down versions of the other three towers either. The Freedom Tower is already financed, and won't change a bit, the fourth 1,000ft one is already leased and is actually progressing faster then the Freedom Tower and the two other ones (#2 & #3) are still progressing as planned. They are only tossing out ideas to scale back the #2/#3 1,400 and 1,300 ft buildings in case the economy gets worse in the near future.

And Trump is an idiot. His buildings are all nasty and failed (Trump Chicago is a financial failure, Trump SoHo isn't selling), and I want to vomit every time I see his hideous building on Columbus Circle.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM

632 posts, read 812,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
To me, The Trump Tower isn't exactly "ugly", it's just.. not in any way, shape, or form better looking than the One World Trade Center. It's just OK. It's much shorter too.

And yes Beekman Place blows Aqua out of the water....and I like Aqua.

And regarding height; Antennas and Spires are two different things and antenna's don't count when counting building height. The Freedom's Tower spire is massive and very much part of the building.
I know. It's a shame when something like the Petronas Towers can "beat" the Sears in height because of a spire, when the roof of the Sears is still significantly higher.

Yeah, those pics of 1WTC do the building justice, and I am just not a fan. Not at all. It'll be sixteen floors taller than the Trump, if it ever gets built. IMHO, the original, modernist WTC towers were far, far superior than this ugly POS they settled on. It's a shame they aren't rebuilding them.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
There are no scaled down versions of the Freedom Tower.

And as we speak, there are no toned down versions of the other three towers either. The Freedom Tower is already financed, and won't change a bit, the fourth 1,000ft one is already leased and is actually progressing faster then the Freedom Tower and the two other ones (#2 & #3) are still progressing as planned. They are only tossing out ideas to scale back the other 1,300 and 1,200 ft buildings in case.

And Trump is an idiot. His buildings are all nasty, and I want to vomit every time I see his hideous building on Columbus Circle.
LOL @ Trump.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the final version of 1WTC smaller than was originally planned? Either way, the roof of the new "Freedom Tower" will be over seventy-five feet shorter then the roof of the Sears. And ugh, that design. So boring! I'm sorry, I just really do not like that design.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I know. It's a shame when something like the Petronas Towers can "beat" the Sears in height because of a spire, when the roof of the Sears is still significantly higher.

Yeah, those pics of 1WTC do the building justice, and I am just not a fan. Not at all. It'll be sixteen floors taller than the Trump, if it ever gets built. IMHO, the original, modernist WTC towers were far, far superior than this ugly POS they settled on. It's a shame they aren't rebuilding them.
Freedom Tower WILL be built, how can it not be built when it's already fully financed. There was never any plan whatsoever to even touch Freedom Tower or Tower #4.

And you can not think the Freedom Tower is ugly and think that mess Trump Chicago looks good. The Freedom Tower is like Picasso compared to Trump Chicago.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM

freedom tower is 10x better looking than that hideous trump thing.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM

2,242 posts, read 4,034,987 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... -_-

Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Freedom Tower WILL be built, how can it not be built when it's already fully financed. There was never any plan whatsoever to even touch Freedom Tower or Tower #4.

And you can not think the Freedom Tower is ugly and think that mess Trump Chicago looks good. The Freedom Tower is like Picasso compared to Trump Chicago.
Haha, wow. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beerholder.

Flickr Photo Download: 20090531-134324 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alforque/3583394503/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,112,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Being tall doesn't = good looking.

Freedom Tower is going up and will be the tallest in the United States.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
freedom tower is 10x better looking than that hideous trump thing.
Oh please. If the Trump were built in New York, you'd be drooling all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.