Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,626,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Hey hey hey, it's not conservatives! I'm a conservative and I LOVE Chicago. Granted, I do live here.
Just certain "conservatives bitter about the election". Not all conservatives bash Chicago out of post-election rage.

Granted, I remember hating Texas for quite a while after 2000 and 2004...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago has been taking more heat on these forums since the rise of Obama and the public ridicule of our former governor. Suddenly it's a lightning rod for conservatives that are bitter about the election.
I think it is more there were a bunch of Chicago homers making stupid claims how great it is in this and that and now people are like whoa whoa wait a minute Chicago, get back in your place. If Chicago people didn't try to boast all the time, this wouldn't happen.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,626,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think it is more there were a bunch of Chicago homers making stupid claims how great it is in this and that and now people are like whoa whoa wait a minute Chicago, get back in your place. If Chicago people didn't try to boast all the time, this wouldn't happen.
Chicago is a great city, and has been boastful for over 100 years. Nothing new there. There are other great cities, but that doesn't take anything away from Chicago (note that I actually voted for New York on this poll, but I still recognize Chicago's place in the world of architecture).

I think the Houston boasters are equally detached from reality, if not more. And the anti-Chicago trolls are just making up ridiculous criticisms without any basis in fact.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago is a great city, and has been boastful for over 100 years. Nothing new there. There are other great cities, but that doesn't take anything away from Chicago (note that I actually voted for New York on this poll, but I still recognize Chicago's place in the world of architecture).

I think the Houston boasters are equally detached from reality, if not more. And the anti-Chicago trolls are just making up ridiculous criticisms without any basis in fact.
On beahlf of anti-Chicago trolls I demand apology. Our claims are not ridiculous as
- Chicago is world-famous for corruption.
- The weather sucks (winters)
- Roads are substandard.
- Celebrities of any kind avoid the city like a plague.
- Chicago cultural contribution to the world is Oprah, Springer and Playboy.
- The city dies after 11PM weekdays.
- Crime is terrible (murders!).
- Chicago is deeply racially segregated and racist (on both sides)
- Traffic is horrible most of the time
- Chicago drivers do not use runt signals when changing lanes on the highway

Which of those claims is not true or ridiculous?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 AM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
On beahlf of anti-Chicago trolls I demand apology. Our claims are not ridiculous as
- Chicago is world-famous for corruption.
- The weather sucks (winters)
- Roads are substandard.
- Celebrities of any kind avoid the city like a plague.
- Chicago cultural contribution to the world is Oprah, Springer and Playboy.
- The city dies after 11PM weekdays.
- Crime is terrible (murders!).
- Chicago is deeply racially segregated and racist (on both sides)
- Traffic is horrible most of the time
- Chicago drivers do not use runt signals when changing lanes on the highway

Which of those claims is not true or ridiculous?
Corruption - yeah, pretty much. It's called machine politics. Chicagoans would rather live with corruption that happens to work versus a squeaky clean government that is inept and inefficient. Take it from a former Chicagoan who moved to Seattle for a job.

Winters - it's the Midwest. What do you expect? We don't have an ocean regulating our weather. In fact we have a lake that makes it worse.

Roads - Anyone's who has visited Seattle will find your claim of the roads being substandard a joke.

Celebrities - Who needs em? I'd rather not associate with the likes of Britney Spears ... *shudder*

Cultural contribution - did you forget ... the Blues Brothers? Chicago Blues is a musical staple. Don't forget pizza too ... mmm. NYC pizza sucks, sorry. I don't like 10 lb of grease with every slice.

But just going off your three examples - so you're saying Chicago is the moral conscience, the ringmaster, and a pimp? SWEET!

Dies at 11 PM weekdays - Yeah, because we have to work and are deeply dedicated to it. Could be a bad thing. Maybe if you worked harder you wouldn't know or care when the weekday ended - you'd save it for the weekEND.

Crime is terrible - Actually NYC has improved a lot lately. I'm impressed. But still, Chicago ain't bad if you know where to avoid.

Traffic is horrible - ever been to NYC? Or any major city?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Well, I wouldn't say Chicago is world famous for corruption, just famous in the States. Not much of a defense though. However, there have been a lot of other political machines that were just as famous--it's just that Chicago has held onto its for longer. So, I'd say that's more true than false.

The winters in Chicago suck compared to the sunbelt cities, there's no doubt about that. That's about a good four months of misery for a lot of people (except for the few who claim they love winters). I guess this would be about one-third true?

Celebrities avoiding Chicago is not true. They certainly aren't as drawn to it as they are to LA or NYC, but it still gets some attention here and there. Of course, a lot of celebrities do end up visiting Chicago due to it being a rather high-profile city. So, yea, that they "avoid the city like a plague" is way off base.

Chicago's cultural contribution is big in a lot of ways. Would you say architecture is cultural or economics has a huge affect on culture? If so, then Chicago has had and still has an inordinately large cultural contribution. Chicago blues has been important in the development of modern music, and house music has been a strong influence on popular music (much to my dismay--European pop music for the most part makes me gag). It's also come out with a fair share of rap and r&b artists. As far as music that I like, Steve Albini, John McEntire, Jim O'Rourke and a lot of other artists I really like are part of Chicago's music scene, which to me, has created a lot of amazing music in the last two decades--it's tied to NYC in terms of making music I like. So, I'd say this one is patently false.

- I have no idea if the rest of them are true. I will say that Chicago's crime rate is not among the worst of U.S. cities, but it's certainly not great. Also, "runt" is a pretty weird typo for "turn."

Old 05-13-2009, 01:25 AM

Like I said before, I have big reservation about mental capacity of pro-Chicago posters. Must be the water:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Corruption - yeah, pretty much. It's called machine politics. Chicagoans would rather live with corruption that happens to work versus a squeaky clean government that is inept and inefficient. Take it from a former Chicagoan who moved to Seattle for a job.
Uh-hu. "corrup[tion that happens to work"? And what exactly works in Chicago? Police? Schools? Roads?
Your statement is the dumbest I have seen today.

Quote:
Winters - it's the Midwest. What do you expect? We don't have an ocean regulating our weather. In fact we have a lake that makes it worse.
I do not expect anything, I am just saying the winters in Chicago suck.

Quote:
Roads - Anyone's who has visited Seattle will find your claim of the roads being substandard a joke.
I do not care about Seattle. I care abotu Chicago roads as I drive here and pay my taxes here. The roads here are terrible. I do not think Chicago could be even worse.

Quote:
Celebrities - Who needs em? I'd rather not associate with the likes of Britney Spears ... *shudder*
How about the likes of De Niro? Scorsese? Spike Lee? Would you associate with them? Lack of celebrities in Chicago indicates the quality of the city. Substandard.

Quote:
Cultural contribution - did you forget ... the Blues Brothers? Chicago Blues is a musical staple. Don't forget pizza too ... mmm. NYC pizza sucks, sorry. I don't like 10 lb of grease with every slice.
Blues and pizza? How is pizza culture? There is more blues clubs in New York Chicago nowadays.

Quote:
But just going off your three examples - so you're saying Chicago is the moral conscience, the ringmaster, and a pimp? SWEET!
No comment here. Self-explanatory.

Quote:
Dies at 11 PM weekdays - Yeah, because we have to work and are deeply dedicated to it. Could be a bad thing. Maybe if you worked harder you wouldn't know or care when the weekday ended - you'd save it for the weekEND.
What if I work at night? Not good?

Quote:
Crime is terrible - Actually NYC has improved a lot lately. I'm impressed. But still, Chicago ain't bad if you know where to avoid.
Lately? You mean like 10 years ago?
Chicago crime is worse than NY and LA. Those are ther stats. Murders in Chicago become a daily thing.

Quote:
Traffic is horrible - ever been to NYC? Or any major city?
Horrible. In NYC I do not have to worry as I can use subway instead.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I wouldn't say Chicago is world famous for corruption, just famous in the States.
No. CNN made it a global news. You are famous now

Quote:
Celebrities avoiding Chicago is not true. They certainly aren't as drawn to it as they are to LA or NYC, but it still gets some attention here and there. Of course, a lot of celebrities do end up visiting Chicago due to it being a rather high-profile city. So, yea, that they "avoid the city like a plague" is way off base.
I do not think so. You can count celebrities living in Chicago using your 10 fingers. Not much for the third largest city in the US.

Quote:
Chicago's cultural contribution is big in a lot of ways. Would you say architecture is cultural or economics has a huge affect on culture?
No. I would say culture is culture. Architecture and economics is architecture and economics.

Quote:
Chicago blues has been important in the development of modern music, and house music has been a strong influence on popular music (much to my dismay--European pop music for the most part makes me gag). It's also come out with a fair share of rap and r&b artists. As far as music that I like, Steve Albini, John McEntire, Jim O'Rourke and a lot of other artists I really like are part of Chicago's music scene, which to me, has created a lot of amazing music in the last two decades--it's tied to NYC in terms of making music I like. So, I'd say this one is patently false.
You mentioned just a few names, most of them really obscure. Not much of an cultural input.

Quote:
- I have no idea if the rest of them are true. I will say that Chicago's crime rate is not among the worst of U.S. cities, but it's certainly not great. Also, "runt" is a pretty weird typo for "turn."
Worse than both NY and LA. There is a innocent bystander (usually a kid) shot almost every day. CPD can't even catch a cold.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 AM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
L
How about the likes of De Niro? Scorsese? Spike Lee? Would you associate with them? Lack of celebrities in Chicago indicates the quality of the city. Substandard.

What if I work at night? Not good?
If traffic is so bad, take the Metra.

If you work at night ... ouch. Sorry man. Find a new job? You got me there. Hopefully you get out on the weekends.

Lack of celebrities =/= substandard city. Please elaborate why you think so.

Wait, in fact, don't. CAN WE PLEASE FOCUS ON ARCHITECTURE, THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, AND NOT DEGENERATE INTO PETTY SQUABBLES?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
If traffic is so bad, take the Metra.

If you work at night ... ouch. Sorry man. Find a new job? You got me there. Hopefully you get out on the weekends.

Lack of celebrities =/= substandard city. Please elaborate why you think so.

Wait, in fact, don't. CAN WE PLEASE FOCUS ON ARCHITECTURE, THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, AND NOT DEGENERATE INTO PETTY SQUABBLES?
That's OK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City