Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:04 AM

467 posts, read 874,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
So do you think the folks at AIA (The American Institute of Architects) are a bunch of fools? They claimed Chicago architecture is finest in the country. Got a problem with that?
No they haven't. You were misinformed.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-29-2009 at 02:25 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 02:04 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I haven't seen any pictures of particularly gorgeous lowrise neighborhoods in Chicago--I'm pretty sure Chicago loses in that department.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Anyway, when I was walking in Midtown Manhattan, I distinctly remember being struck with the impression that I could see a LOT of sky. .

Do you mean you can't see the sky in Chicago? LOL? Where? Underneath the L?

Besides the single La Salle Canyon thee are no places that you really feel the towering effect, Chicago's skyscrapers are to spread out to create that.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-29-2009 at 02:22 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry, I go to the NY Bar about once or twice a week, and I usually walk around quite a bit. It simply doesn't have give me the kind of feeling I'd get in parts of the Financial District. I'm not sure how you're going to tell me that this was incorrect as I've literally (and I mean literally) walked and/or down every street in Manhattan.

I'm pretty sure Lower Manhattan is part of Manhattan and imo, canyons in Lower Manhattan are nicer than the ones in Chicago.

Anyway, there are canyons outside of Lower-Manhattan. Broadway from Herald Square to Times Square, 6th Avenue in the 40s and 50s, Lexington Avenue 30s-50s, etc.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 AM

And honestly, the low-rise neighborhoods in Chicago are ugly compared to the New York equivalents. Even Brooklyn has much prettier low rise neighborhoods than anything in Chicago i.e. Brooklyn Heights:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8354/33006029154f8f27a1bfb.jpg (broken link)

I like the high rise architecture in downtown Chicago though (but like NY's better - of course).

Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Do you mean you can't see sky in Chicago? LOL?

Besides the single La Salle Canyon thee are no places that you really feel the towring effect, Chicago's skyscrapers are to spread out from each other to create that.
No, that's incorrect. They are much more densely packed in downtown than in Manhattan. The LaSalle Street canyon is impressive, but it's only one area which gives that effect. Increasingly, Michigan Ave. has this effect. Also (and I'm speaking here for the others in this thread who care, not poisonous trolls like Dementor), State Street, Wabash Street, Lake Street, W. Upper Wacker, North Upper Wacker, everywhere in the entire New East Side (no setbacks there), everywhere in Streeterville (no setbacks there), and increasingly in the South Loop.

These areas give Chicago that "Gotham" feeling. It's a really cool thing, and worth checking out when you visit. Dementor, don't poop your pants. Go on the potty like a big boy.

Keep on truckin', Dementor. You'll get this crazy world figured out yet.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
I'm pretty sure Lower Manhattan is part of Manhattan and imo, canyons in Lower Manhattan are nicer than the ones in Chicago.

Anyway, there are canyons outside of Lower-Manhattan. Broadway from Herald Square to Times Square, 6th Avenue in the 40s and 50s, Lexington Avenue 30s-50s, etc.
Who said or implied Lower Manhattan isn't? I'm trying to give them a familiar frame of reference for that feeling because it might seem too vague or abstract. And I don't deny there are canyons--there are fantastic urban canyons all over Manhattan, but they don't give the same sensation that highrises sitting side-by-side shooting straight up give. It isn't even necessarily a good thing since I know someone who finds it depressing and suffocating.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
No, that's incorrect. They are much more densely packed in downtown than in Manhattan. The LaSalle Street canyon is impressive, but it's only one area which gives that effect. Increasingly, Michigan Ave. has this effect. Also (and I'm speaking here for the others in this thread who care, not poisonous trolls like Dementor), State Street, Wabash Street, Lake Street, W. Upper Wacker, North Upper Wacker, everywhere in the entire New East Side (no setbacks there), everywhere in Streeterville (no setbacks there), and increasingly in the South Loop.

These areas give Chicago that "Gotham" feeling. It's a really cool thing, and worth checking out when you visit. Dementor, don't poop your pants. Go on the potty like a big boy.

Keep on truckin', Dementor. You'll get this crazy world figured out yet.
LOL. Thank God there are more people reading this thread who have actually been to both Chicago and New York. New York is full of canyons with highrises one next to each other while Chicago tall buildings are all spread out.

PS. Who is dementor? Your imaginary friend? LOL

Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
LOL. Thank God there are more people reading this thread who have actually been to both Chicago and New York. New York is full of canyons with highrises one next to each other while Chicago tall buildings are all spread out.

PS. Who is dementor? Your imaginary friend? LOL
Right, you are the one person on this website who magically doesn't know who Dementor is.

Dementor, I have been to New York. You are the one who has never convinced your mom to let you come to Chicago. She said you could come if you practiced your piano, but you didn't. Instead, you threw a temper tantrum and spent the summer in White Plains, NY.

We are right about the structure of the skyscrapers in Chicago. Why are you even arguing this? Do you want New York to deny something that makes it unique and cool, i.e. its buildings' setbacks?

Honestly, Dementor, sometimes it seems like you just argue for argument's sake. It's not very becoming, and that's no way to get your first girlfriend. Now you better go to sleep before your mom catches you using your computer this late!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
And honestly, the low-rise neighborhoods in Chicago are ugly compared to the New York equivalents. Even Brooklyn has much prettier low rise neighborhoods than anything in Chicago i.e. Brooklyn Heights:

I like the high rise architecture in downtown Chicago though (but like NY's better - of course).
whoa- nice blue Aston Martin on pic #2!!

brooklyn heights looks beaut ..never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City