Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
People in the Midwest are always so pasty and unkempt.

Please use sunless tanner since you live in harsh nasty weather.
These are very rude and immature statements. You should know that you can't stereotype a whole region of the country if you want to be taken at all seriously. The weather in Chicago is very similar to that of NYC. You can look it up. Average highs and lows for every month of the year are within 2-3 degrees.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yeah. I have never seen so many oveweight twenty-something girls as in Chicago. In Chicago it is cool and OK to be overweight, even if you are 18. I guess it's aart of the local culture and terrible Midwestern eating habits. More gritts, anyone?
Grit is a Southern food and not Chicago, dumbass.

Last edited by Bydand; 05-12-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
These are very rude and immature statements. You should know that you can't stereotype a whole region of the country if you want to be taken at all seriously. The weather in Chicago is very similar to that of NYC. You can look it up. Average highs and lows for every month of the year are within 2-3 degrees.
What are you talking? weather in New York the same as in Chicago?
How many Chicago and New York winters have you survived?

There is no way you could compare Midwestern winter to the one on East Coast and you know it.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
I don't even know why Chicagoans think they're the "second city" anymore. How long did LA surpass Chicago in population? A long time ago.

LA is more relevant to society and culture and contributes more to the world.
LA has a far bigger economy
LA has a larger population that still manages to grow unlike Chicago.
LA attracts far more international visitors than Chicago.
LA is well known across the globe. Chicago isn't.
LA is international, Chicago is too midwest/americana.
Chicago is very well known across the globe and it's the world leader in commodity trading. Ever heard of the CME?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
[quote=tmac9wr;8782006] Chicago is very well known across the globe

Of course it is but it is mostly associated with gangs and Al Capone and nothing else. Just mention Chicago in Europe, do you think they think of CME or Chicago theater? No: click, click

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
and it's the world leader in commodity trading. Ever heard of the CME?
And how many people around the world actually heard about CME and corn trading?

It's not like it is Wall Street with its own press and fame. On the other hand who haven't heard about Hollywood? Do you know anybody?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hour View Post
Well your right. I don't even know what Chicago has to even make it stand alone as a true city of importance other than maybe it's transportation field or manufracturing field. Really large urban cores aren't everything. Look at Paris.
...Paris is an amazing city

Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
[

It's not like it is Wall Street with its own press and fame. On the other hand who haven't heard about Hollywood? Do you know anybody?
"Informed" people from around the world follow commodity trading just fine. Our agriculture contribution to this planet is a VERY big concern for everyone.

Are you stupid or intentionally uninformed?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 PM

[quote=dementor;8782087][quote=tmac9wr;8782006] Chicago is very well known across the globe

Quote:
Of course it is but it is mostly associated with gangs and Al Capone and nothing else. Just mention Chicago in Europe, do you think they think of CME or Chicago theater? No: click, click
You have tons of other post saying Chicago isn't well known. What's up with the change of heart? Anyway, DON'T try and bring back the culture thing. Chicago is a great cosmopolitan city and is vital to help making NYC an international city. Weather you like it or not, Chicago only benefits the ENTIRE country and world.

Quote:
No comment to the above statement. Just proves your ignorance and LACK of any sort of intellectual superiority.

Quote:
I think you mean Stall Street .

Why do you feel the need to bash Chicago so much. If I were to create an L.A vs NYC thread, you would have only negative things to say about L.A. We get it, you don't like Chicago. Stop posting things that make you look like an idiot. Notice how everyone else can get repped by OTHERS by making a reasonable post. You on the other hand create iditoic ones, and rep yourself.

You're not special, and your mother hates you.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:

A few of my friends are from Germany (they're Au Pairs in my hometown) and they had all heard amazing things about Chicago. One of them visited there several times last fall and she loved it each time. She told me she wanted to move there permanently.

Who's heard about the CME? Anyone who cares about the economy or works in any part of the financial field. Maybe you're just too young or don't know much about the business world, so I'll explain in more detail. The CME Group trades much more than corn and wheat. They're the world leader in financial derivatives trading, meaning all forms of equity options, swaps, futures, currency trading, etc. Hell, they even own the NYMEX! I know, I know, how could a Chicago institution ever own something in New York City? Don't worry, they also bought out a London interest swap exchange...pretty fancy for a bunch of simpletons from the Midwest, huh?

I can only take so much of your denial that Chicago has anything to offer whatsoever, or that it has any significance in our economy.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
A few of my friends are from Germany (they're Au Pairs in my hometown) and they had all heard amazing things about Chicago. One of them visited there several times last fall and she loved it each time. She told me she wanted to move there permanently.

Who's heard about the CME? Anyone who cares about the economy or works in any part of the financial field. Maybe you're just too young or don't know much about the business world, so I'll explain in more detail. The CME Group trades much more than corn and wheat. They're the world leader in financial derivatives trading, meaning all forms of equity options, swaps, futures, currency trading, etc. Hell, they even own the NYMEX! I know, I know, how could a Chicago institution ever own something in New York City? Don't worry, they also bought out a London interest swap exchange...pretty fancy for a bunch of simpletons from the Midwest, huh?

I can only take so much of your denial that Chicago has anything to offer whatsoever, or that it has any significance in our economy.

Love it! I want to rep you, but I can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City