Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Coldwine blames DC for his/her financial situation, hence the idiotic post and the hatred.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Coldwine blames DC for his/her financial situation, hence the idiotic post and the hatred.
DC,
People love oversimplying things and finindg scapegoats. Wall Street was great when everybody and his mother was making money there and now is soo bad when economy hit the ground.
The truth is we are all guilty of overspending and pushing Wall Street to deliver higher and higher indices. If anything we are guilty of being complacent and not pushing for more resonsibility, even after Enron scandal.

Last edited by dementor; 05-17-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
DC people love oversimplying things and scapegoats.
Wall Street was great when everybody and his mother was making money there and now is soo bad when economy hit the ground.
The truth is we are all guilty of overspending and pushing Wall Street to deliver higher and higher indices. If anything we are guilty of being complacent and not pushing for more resonsibility, even after Enron scandal.
good point ( I actually agree with dem! say what!)

i knew tons of people buying miscellaneous stuff just out of the blue. They could hardly paid their bills but they, somehow, were able to afford a big screen t.v. and all the goodies to come with it like an xbox ect ect. Back then the companies were doing the same thing but nobody was questioning them because it wasn't affecting them directly. Flashforward to 2008 the same people are complaning. During the time before the whole messup others were able to buy houses that they obviously couldn't afford then all of a sudden...BAM! they have to downsize to a new apartmen or worse their home is getting foreclosed.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
good point ( I actually agree with dem! say what!)

i knew tons of people buying miscellaneous stuff just out of the blue. They could hardly paid their bills but they, somehow, were able to afford a big screen t.v. and all the goodies to come with it like an xbox ect ect. Back then the companies were doing the same thing but nobody was questioning them because it wasn't affecting them directly. Flashforward to 2008 the same people are complaning. During the time before the whole messup others were able to buy houses that they obviously couldn't afford then all of a sudden...BAM! they have to downsize to a new apartmen or worse their home is getting foreclosed.
Thanks. It is kind of funny when people accuse Wall Street of being greedy while in fact everyone was trying to do just that: get as much as it is possible on current salaries, hoping someone else will eventually pay all card payments and mortgages. We are all guilty as charged but it is so much easier to say: it is Wall Street and the banks... Yeah, right.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
No it isn't. Stop trying to make DC anything more than a bedroom community. The president lives there, Congress occasionally meets there. They campaign and spend all their other time in different states.

The decisions that move this nation are made in other cities. And they are not made by the government.
Only 27% of DC's population is employed by the Federal Government and only 14% of the metro was employed by the Federal Gov. It has around 65 million square feet of office space downtown, 45 million of that is private. It's foolish to downplay DC's importance.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Seriously. I'm a Californian, and posters like this dude gives us a bad name.
Then there are those you gives us good Names, you know who!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Only 27% of DC's population is employed by the Federal Government and only 14% of the metro was employed by the Federal Gov. It has around 65 million square feet of office space downtown, 45 million of that is private. It's foolish to downplay DC's importance.
You have to give to Chicago. In one sentence they protest when compared to New York, in the next few they put down the South, West, Northwest and DC.... That's Chicago for you, I had a choice of moving to Chicago or Dallas. After three years in Chicago I think I made a big mistake.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Childish as in asking for supporting evidence to various claims of greatness?
I know where you are coming from, being in Chicago for the past three years I realize that local press makes Chicago a big deal, all news have to be somehow Chicago relevant and people are used to claims such as "best dining in the world", "best culture in the world" etc without ever thinking if this has been confirmed by anyone outside of the city. Big and deep inferiority complex of the second city still shows....

You can claim whatever you want, you can say you are the smartest kid in the world but unless others see you that way you are most likely not that smart but dellusional. If you ever asked people outside of Chicago how the city and its culture is perceived in the country and around the world you would be surprised
Dementor, it is a fact. Chicago IS THE NUMBER ONE TRADING CITY IN THE WORLD. LA has movies. And terrible infrastructure. It is a suburb. If I wanted a suburb, I would move to White Plains, NY, where you live with your mom.

LA is terrible. Chicago is awesome. That's the end of the matter. And yes, those pictures are awesome. Thanks for posting them; I'm sure their creator will appreciate that.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Dementor, it is a fact. Chicago IS THE NUMBER ONE TRADING CITY IN THE WORLD. LA has movies. And terrible infrastructure. It is a suburb. If I wanted a suburb, I would move to White Plains, NY, where you live with your mom.

LA is terrible. Chicago is awesome. That's the end of the matter. And yes, those pictures are awesome. Thanks for posting them; I'm sure their creator will appreciate that.
I wouldn't call Chicago the number one trading city in the world, as I believe that title will always be between New York City and London. Chicago does have the highest quantity of trades, but cities like NYC and London have higher values of trades.

Los Angeles is not terrible. It's a beautiful city in possibly the most beautiful part of the country. It most certainly is not a giant suburb. It is heavily car-reliant, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's suburban as it is more dense than any other metro in the country. I understand you're being defensive against attacks from other forumers, but you can appreciate Chicago's greatness without having to burn down LA.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Dementor, it is a fact. Chicago IS THE NUMBER ONE TRADING CITY IN THE WORLD.
Never was and never will be. Even the companies operating Chicago exchanges are publicly traded on New York exchanges....
Check daily volumes on London's and NY exchanges before you post another nonsense here.

Quote:

I bet you have never been to LA. Are there direct flights from Lombard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City