Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Who cares? As long as the money is being produced in LA and stays the companies may belong to the Japanese. (and many belong)
That shows how LA isn't financially relevant as Chicago. Economic conditions in LA DEPEND on how the major companies elsewhere are doing. Now that's called relevance. I don't think people in India or Brazil find LA relevant if there are fewer major international companies there as well as NO major financial institutions which would indicate how economy is doing.

Larger does not mean more relevant. It's as simple as that. We figured it out as soon as you first said LA is $200 billion more...but it's taking you too long to figure it out

Old 05-24-2009, 12:05 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
Quote:
At stake? You do not think this money would be lost, do you? Competition would quickly take over. What really counts is how much of this money stays in Chicago and judging by Chicagos $500B GMP it is still less than what comes from LA. Even without the 60B a day
You do not think the $700 billion in LA would be lost do you, since major companies NOT located in LA have significant presence in LA's economy?

Old 05-24-2009, 02:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
That's exactly what I was referring to earlier. Despite having a large GDP, LA is still not considered an important node point in the global economic system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
You do not think the $700 billion in LA would be lost do you, since major companies NOT located in LA have significant presence in LA's economy?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:50 PM

467 posts, read 874,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
That shows how LA isn't financially relevant as Chicago. Economic conditions in LA DEPEND on how the major companies elsewhere are doing. Now that's called relevance. I don't think people in India or Brazil find LA relevant if there are fewer major international companies there as well as NO major financial institutions which would indicate how economy is doing.

Larger does not mean more relevant. It's as simple as that. We figured it out as soon as you first said LA is $200 billion more...but it's taking you too long to figure it out
That can be said about any city in the country. No city or region is not intertwined financialy with another. In economics larger actually does mean more relevant. That why the US economy is so relevant in the world.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
LA is far more relevant and important. Why do people in Chicago think it is above LA?
Fanciful imagination, delusions of grandeur, envy, wishful thinking, desperation for the stature, fame, and attention LA receives, etc...

Old 05-24-2009, 11:39 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,547 times
Quote:
That can be said about any city in the country. No city or region is not intertwined financialy with another. In economics larger actually does mean more relevant. That why the US economy is so relevant in the world.
You don't even know what you're saying. Economies are interwined with one another. Chicago has some tie to every port and financial center in the U.S. Chicago and New York are very intertwined. That's why Chicago is more affected by the recession than say Houson, who is very distant from the economy of NYC.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Fanciful imagination, delusions of grandeur, envy, wishful thinking, desperation for the stature, fame, and attention L.A receives, etc...
Wow, you really hit the nail on that one. I've never heard someone describe L.A in a better way .

Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 PM

Classic. That's the typical "la-la land" reaction of folks who are insecure about their city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Wow, you really hit the nail on that one. I've never heard someone describe L.A in a better way .

Old 05-25-2009, 12:56 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Classic. That's the typical "la-la land" reaction of folks who are insecure about their city.
No, he's okay. He was talking ABOUT L.A.! He was turning the comment around on the Cali dude. We're all on the same team here. Simple misunderstanding (I made it myself before I re-read the post).

Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM

In fact, I was referring my comment to that "la-la land" dude. I am sure Spire knew it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
No, he's okay. He was talking ABOUT L.A.! He was turning the comment around on the Cali dude. We're all on the same team here. Simple misunderstanding (I made it myself before I re-read the post).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City