Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose: NY or CA
New York state 136 32.46%
California 283 67.54%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Yes, I agree that NY is the number 3 state, not many will argue with that, but California is significantly more important as a whole right now (even with the budget troubles). Not a knock on NY, there is nothing wrong with being #3
#3 is great.
BUT

NY has Wall Street.
California can't even touch that significance.

Unless your talking about a different kind of importance, than please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Oh, please tell us which is #2

Quote:
Yes, I agree that NY is the number 3 state, not many will argue with that, but California is significantly more important as a whole right now (even with the budget troubles). Not a knock on NY, there is nothing wrong with being #3
if California is #1 and NY is #3.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Not who you think I was going to say

Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Texas

Quote:
Not who you think I was going to say
I would guess. Assume nothing.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:

Texas is #2

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
So many of us New Yorkers/NE have a fondness, and respect, for our sister state of California. Now, the SUNBELT, aka the South, is a different story. The South has a major chip on its shoulder. "Southern California" may be the Sunbelt, but it is still the WEST.

Anti-Florida? Yeah, there are posters on here who have moved AWAY from that state, and some of us who cannot wait to. Am I? Of course. It really SUCKS when you move away from a place DECADES ago because you hated it and have to come back to a place in this state which is the epitomy of Florida.

It is really ironic in that when I first came back here everybody I met were all starry eyed Florida lovers. Now, I am meeting more and more people who say they want to LEAVE. Must be some thing to that 52/48% more moving OUT than moving IN.

Bottom line? California ain't Florida. Not by LONG SHOT.
I feel your pain.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
So many of us New Yorkers/NE have a fondness, and respect, for our sister state of California. Now, the SUNBELT, aka the South, is a different story. The South has a major chip on its shoulder. "Southern California" may be the Sunbelt, but it is still the WEST.

Anti-Florida? Yeah, there are posters on here who have moved AWAY from that state, and some of us who cannot wait to. Am I? Of course. It really SUCKS when you move away from a place DECADES ago because you hated it and have to come back to a place in this state which is the epitomy of Florida.

It is really ironic in that when I first came back here everybody I met were all starry eyed Florida lovers. Now, I am meeting more and more people who say they want to LEAVE. Must be some thing to that 52/48% more moving OUT than moving IN.

Bottom line? California ain't Florida. Not by LONG SHOT.
Cali may not be Florida, but How in the HECK is Cali a sister state to New York? New York is liberal, Cali is liberal, and THAT's where it ends(that's what I like about both states). At least both SoCal and Florida are in the Sunbelt. But anywayz I don't deny that you know people who want to leave the state, but I know just as many people who LOVE the state and would never want to leave, and people FROM up north, YOUNG people, who want to move down to Florida.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Cali may not be Florida, but How in the HECK is Cali a sister state to New York? New York is liberal, Cali is liberal, and THAT's where it ends(that's what I like about both states). At least both SoCal and Florida are in the Sunbelt. But anywayz I don't deny that you know people who want to leave the state, but I know just as many people who LOVE the state and would never want to leave, and people FROM up north, YOUNG people, who want to move down to Florida.
Cali and NY are sisters. They have so much in common unlike Florida.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Cali and NY are sisters. They have so much in common unlike Florida.
What do they have in common, besides being liberal? TX and CA have more in common then NY and CA. Maybe i'm wrong?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
You're right, polo. CA has more in common with its neighboring states (norcal with the northwest, socal with the southwest) than it does with NYS in terms of its culture, climate, and demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City