U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Choose: NY or CA
New York state 136 32.46%
California 283 67.54%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2009, 11:16 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,937,217 times

Advertisements

Thank you! And still fresh its $6 billion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,827,381 times
Are people actually trying to compare NY wines to CA wines? NY is fourth in the U.S. in wine production behind Oregon and Washington and obviously California.

The nerve. It's like trying to compare the L.A. subway to New York's - give credit where credit is due.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM

250 posts, read 48,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Are people actually trying to compare NY wines to CA wines? NY is fourth in the U.S. in wine production behind Oregon and Washington and obviously California.

The nerve. It's like trying to compare the L.A. subway to New York's - give credit where credit is due.
exactly.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM

15 posts, read 18,481 times
see thats whats funny...like new yorkers have to try so hard to be like the big daddy california that they are willing to look foolish in the process...ny wines on CA's level? psshhh sure buddy..keep dreamin . its like they always want to be the best in everything...from weather to wines... they will argue ny is better when vclearly they are being delusional

4 seasons? see i wouldnt mind that but think of how uncomfortable it is in summer...always gloomy looking, hot and humid. then the winter is all freezing and stuff...no thanks. we have 4 seasons here...great, stupendous, excellent, and wonderful

Old 08-17-2009, 12:11 PM

250 posts, read 48,330 times
another thing about this "4 seasons" crap... here in Cali, i never heard of rain in the forecast from may til about late october... that's why its called summer. u walk out in a tshirt and shorts, without thinking "omg will it rain i need a poncho." wtf is rain in the summertime? here it rains in the winter, when its supposed to rain. secondly, the fall here is nothing like summer before it or the winter after it. same thing with spring. keep your snow and rainy, humid ass summers

Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,593,482 times
California does have four seasons, it is just in certain areas, usually the mountain communities.

However Californians in the urban areas get their fair share of winter fun. Southern California residents in Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, counties, etc..... are within 30 minutes to 2 hours of ski resorts and snow in the mountains. So, if we want snow, we can go spend a weekend in it or more. Same thing in Northern California where Sacramento and the Bay Area are close to Lake Tahoe and snow there. The same can't be said about NYC in winter. If they want sunshine and mild temperatures in winter, they have no option but to go to Florida or something. There is not the diversity in micro climates so close together. California is unique in that there are microclimates within a few miles of each other. You can have mountains next to deserts next to oceans all within an hour of each other and on anyone day you can experience a tremendous diversity in weather and climate. This may be the only place in the country where you could technically surf in the Pacific Ocean, shop in Beverly Hills, ski in the mountains, and then go on a hike through the desert all in one day (not saying you would want to, but you could).

Los Angeles for example is one of the only cities where you have a city where the residents are in 70 degree winter temps and in the background a few miles away you have mountains at 28 degrees covered in snow.

One hour from Los Angeles- a winter wonderland in the mountains

Weather is a very personal issue though, so I respect the different opinions. I personally like our weather because I can be in the snow on the weekend and then once I am sick of it, I can drive back to perfect 70 degree weather at home in an hour and a half. My family goes to the local mountains for snow trips or ski trips about 7 times per winter so we get 20 some days of snow (which is all I need).

Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,746,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
California does have four seasons, it is just in certain areas, usually the mountain communities.

However Californians in the urban areas get their fair share of winter fun. Southern California residents in Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, counties, etc..... are within 30 minutes to 2 hours of ski resorts and snow in the mountains. So, if we want snow, we can go spend a weekend in it or more. Same thing in Northern California where Sacramento and the Bay Area are close to Lake Tahoe and snow there. The same can't be said about NYC in winter. If they want sunshine and mild temperatures in winter, they have no option but to go to Florida or something. There is not the diversity in micro climates so close together. California is unique in that there are microclimates within a few miles of each other. You can have mountains next to deserts next to oceans all within an hour of each other.

Los Angeles for example is one of the only cities where you have a city where the residents are in 70 degree winter temps and in the background a few miles away you have mountains at 28 degrees covered in snow.

One hour from Los Angeles- a winter wonderland in the mountains

Weather is a very personal issue though, so I respect the different opinions. I personally like our weather because I can be in the snow on the weekend and then once I am sick of it, I can drive back to perfect 70 degree weather at home in an hour and a half. My family goes to the local mountains for snow trips or ski trips about 7 times per winter so we get 20 some days of snow (which is all I need).
Thank you for posting this. Its gotten tiresome having to hear the defensive stance of praising the 4 seasons when its being compared to CA having a more moderate climate, and people should know that 4 seasons exist here as well. The advantage CA has is that we can choose whether or not we want to experience it, rather than just being stuck in bad weather.

And the pro-4 seasons crowd overstates their love of 4 seasons in many cases. I do not recall too many people being pumped about extreme freezes or excessive rain or heat when they hit. Variation may be desirable but extreme weather is not, so the folks that are trying to claim that NY has better weather are ignoring this fact. And I highly doubt they are walking around loving and praising their weather the way they do on here when hailstones the size of softballs are pummeling their streets.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
another thing about this "4 seasons" crap... here in Cali, i never heard of rain in the forecast from may til about late october... that's why its called summer. u walk out in a tshirt and shorts, without thinking "omg will it rain i need a poncho." wtf is rain in the summertime? here it rains in the winter, when its supposed to rain. secondly, the fall here is nothing like summer before it or the winter after it. same thing with spring. keep your snow and rainy, humid ass summers
Someone needs to go back to elementary school. I know the schools are bad in LA but jeez. Have you ever heard of the News. I think we have like 20 different news channels here. I don't think we would wonder if it was gonna rain or not. Second who told you it's suppose to rain in the winter. Talk about keeping our rain, its no wonder why LA looks so dry all the time. What 4 seasons crap? You just named all for Seasons. The earth has been like this for millions of years. Especially the plants. Don't be mad cause you never had a White Christmas or Snow days as kid.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Having sunny and hot all the time is boring and leads to no excitement nothing different. In my area you cant really compare. We Sunny , sun and cloudy, cloudy, foggy, rain, snow, snow and fog, mist, snow fog and mist, rain and fog, rain and mist, sun and misty or foggy, hail with any of the previous combinations, hurricanes, tornados, etc in one area.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 2,227,632 times
California wins this contest hands down. All New York really has to offer is NYC, and that is really a drab, dirty-looking place in comparison to the major California cities. I've spent time in both areas, so I am not just speaking from what I see on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City