Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,815,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
see to people like u ...its "suburban" or whatever but our mindset is different than a boring old east/south/midwest suburb...the pace is fast, everyones out for $$..blatant excess...fast cars...most diverse place i know(unlike other white washed "suburbs")...i love it

you have to be here to experience it ...theres like 17 million in this region , I'm sure youl lfit in somewhere

the celebs must all be suburban minded then huh? i'd rather live in a model city they prefer than some hokey old cold east town or midwest podunk place where joe schmoe stuffs his face with greasy pizza and hot dogs..

still i digress...Texas wins this I prefer the weather there and ability to drive ones sportscars without being on dumpy old streets filled with people from caribbean islands no one cares about like dominican republic and puerto rico
Although im not as blunt as you, I know what you mean. The suburb cities like LA appeal to me more. Because you don't HAVE to drive ALL the way to the inner city for activities. In places like LA where the entertainment is spread out, there are things to do EVEYWHERE instead of just one place.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think there are Sabrett hot dog stands there either
We don't need Sarbrett and Hot Dog stands. Were quite alright with what we have. We can just go to the store if we want Hot Dogs.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,056,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
I know this your opinion and all but this is ridiculous. I mean not to call you a troll but this a troll statement. Examples bolded You are comparing LA(second biggest city in the US) to the average town. And by some of the statements you are targeting certain cities while hiding under the small town comparison. As Spade said NYC and Chicago are known for there hot dogs and pizza. And that comment about some dumpy old street looks like it was targeted towards NYC in Racism and Stereotypes. Lets assume that the average dumpy street is filled with Caribbean's and Hispanics. Just by this statement its seems that the average poor person in NYC is as rich as the average rich person in (insert name in of town/city of description). I mean LA is more trashy with its poor geography. You can tell the difference in the land. On the average NY street is so lush and crisp and fresh, grass and trees every wear. Many parts of LA actually has more concrete. Dont argue it doesnt cause according to the US government NYC uses nearly %50 of its land for parks more than most cities.
Well it gets annoying when you guys call people backwards and conservative just because we prefer more spacious, less dense cities. I agree he was little harsh, but to you guys cities like LA or Houston look like suburbs, but to us they look like cities.

Threads like this would not happen if sometimes people would quit thinking just because they live in NYC or BOS they automatically know what's best for every city, not everyone wants to live like that. We have bigger things to worry about instead of wasting time trying to build up our cities and expand public transit.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
We don't need Sarbrett and Hot Dog stands. Were quite alright with what we have. We can just go to the store if we want Hot Dogs.

Nothing beats Nathans and Sabrett

Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM

9,105 posts, read 13,124,520 times
Talking Where do you live that you have to drive to the "inner city"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Although im not as blunt as you, I know what you mean. The suburb cities like LA appeal to me more. Because you don't HAVE to drive ALL the way to the inner city for activities. In places like LA where the entertainment is spread out, there are things to do EVEYWHERE instead of just one place.
Not sure about what suburbs you are familar with but with northern suburbs like Long Island at least, we do NOT "have to drive ALL the way to the inner city for activities". For instance you will find many REAL restaurants here not just chains. We have museums, off broadway theatres, night and comedy clubs, music concerts and of course a ton of shopping. We even have things you might associate with a resort area ---- boating, swimming, fishing, golf etc --- we are even hosting the US Open again this year. AND ONLY THEN do you realize we are an hour by rail from New York City!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,068,098 times
From pictures la looks like a big suburb, with a downtown area. Like once you leave downtown your confronted with houses with lawns

Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,825,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
That's not the point. You have bashed Houston in the past for having no density, and these pictures show otherwise. These show that Houston (as well as the other Texas cities) have urbanity despite misconceptions.
I have to say that those pics were unimpressive. How about some pics that show the uniqueness of houston instead of how it looks like nearlt every other cookie cutter city.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,672,608 times
Quote:
What's that?
Cheese!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM

9,105 posts, read 13,124,520 times
Quote:
What's that?
You never saw any of "The Happy Cows come from California" commericals lol?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not sure about what suburbs you are familar with but with northern suburbs like Long Island at least, we do NOT "have to drive ALL the way to the inner city for activities". For instance you will find many REAL restaurants here not just chains. We have museums, off broadway theatres, night and comedy clubs, music concerts and of course a ton of shopping. We even have things you might associate with a resort area ---- boating, swimming, fishing, golf etc --- we are even hosting the US Open again this year. AND ONLY THEN do you realize we are an hour by rail from New York City!
That's nice and all, but not the same level as LA. Yea you shop and do all that, every suburb has that. And to me personally LI might as well be part of NYC. When I said suburbs, I meant further out suburbs. LI is connected to Brooklyn and Queens. So there is PLENTY to do on LI. But go north to places like Spring Valley and Rockland county, and you'll see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City