Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're trying to compare a small town in Texas terms (which is probably a VERY small town to someone who comes from where I do)'s ethnic cuisine to NYC?

Edit: I just looked up restaurants in that town. I see like 4 Dominos, one or 2 italian restaurants (nothing like what you'll find in Little italy in the Bronx, not Manhattan), Mexican, chinese, 6 dairy queens, and 3 cracker barrels. Yeah, places you'll find anywhere in podunk USA.
Wow, Im not sure where you got that Im comparing a small town to NYC. But you're going to wind up embarrassing NYS if you dont start paying attention to the actual content in my posts before you respond to them.

Im comparing a RELATIVELY small town in Texas to what in your own words you refer to as NYS's 3 largest cities (large in NYS terms )...two of which only have a couple of hundred thousand people - those being Rochester and Buffalo AKA "Podunk USA's"...lmao...so yes I am comparing a tiny Texas town of 100,000 to 2 of NYS's "largest" cities...lol

Old 06-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's just Tyler. A small town. That's like comparing Tyler to Watertown NY. You can find all those ethnic foods in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio. And the same way you can find better Italnian food in NYC, you can find better Cajun and Mexican food in Houston. There is nothing in NYC that you can't find anywhere else in the US.

Exactly!...my point wasnt even to compare a tiny town to NYC...the point is exactly what you just stated: you can find ethnically diverse foods really ANYWHERE...and yes even in a small town. As much as I love so many different kinds of foods, access to ethnic cuisine is so grossly overrated for the purposes in which it is being used in this thread. Its just not that big a deal...I dont think it even crosses most Houstonians, or Dallasites or Austinites minds that ethnic and regional cuisine should be some greatly revered commodity. Its just SO commonplace, why make a deal out of it?...lol

Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Wow, Im not sure where you got that Im comparing a small town to NYC. But you're going to wind up embarrassing NYS if you dont start paying attention to the actual content in my posts before you respond to them.

Im comparing a RELATIVELY small town in Texas to what in your own words you refer to as NYS's 3 largest cities (large in NYS terms )...two of which only have a couple of hundred thousand people - those being Rochester and Buffalo AKA "Podunk USA's"...lmao...so yes I am comparing a tiny Texas town of 100,000 to 2 of NYS's "largest" cities...lol

I don't think Dominos, Dairy queens, and Mexican restaurants are very diverse. Ignoring NYC, I think Syracuse, Buffalo, and Albany offer more ethnic cuisines than that

Old 06-04-2009, 03:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
Quote:
I lived upstate and in Maine for college, as well as traveling all over the country and outside.
But have you traveled anywhere out side of New England?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:47 PM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
I don't think Dominos, Dairy queens, and Mexican restaurants are very diverse. Ignoring NYC, I think Syracuse, Buffalo, and Albany offer more ethnic cuisines than that
True.....the 'Cuse holds it's own in that regard.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Ok, um you choose to ignore the places that offer authentic Italian (Carino's, for one), the Chinese, and Japanese resturants, and the Cajun Seafood restaurants in addition to the Mexican, Barbque and yes even DAIRY QUEEN......thats like me skimming through the internet after Googling Syracuse and noticing that they have a Pizza Hut there and saying "OH see there all they have is a Pizza Hut" ...come on, be realistic...I dont even know why we are still talking about the small town thing...I expressly stated, that was an ad hoc reference made to illustrate how ridiculous using ethnic cuisine as a barometer for the quality of a state is. Hell, I even acknowledge that there is nothing to Tyler really...and it STILL has roughly comparable diversity of ethnic cuisine that you claim 2 of NYS's "largest" cities have.

p.s. - Is that a "talk to the hand"?...lmao!...Oooh no! dont tell me NYS is stuck in the 90's too...lol

Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
But have you traveled anywhere out side of New England?

Uh, yeah...last year I went to Bermuda and Puerto Rico. The year before that, Las Vegas. I also go to Florida 3 times a year, and have been going every year since I was 14. You're talking to someone who spends like 2 months of the year traveling...lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ok, um you choose to ignore the places that offer authentic Italian (Carino's, for one), the Chinese, and Japanese resturants, and the Cajun Seafood restaurants in addition to the Mexican, Barbque and yes even DAIRY QUEEN......thats like me skimming through the internet after Googling Syracuse and noticing that they have a Pizza Hut there and saying "OH see there all they have is a Pizza Hut" ...come on, be realistic...I dont even know why we are still talking about the small town thing...I expressly stated, that was an ad hoc reference made to illustrate how ridiculous using ethnic cuisine as a barometer for the quality of a state is. Hell, I even acknowledge that there is nothing to Tyler really...and it STILL has roughly everything you claim 2 of NYS's "largest" cities have.

p.s. - Is that a "talk to the hand"?...lmao!...Oooh no! dont tell me NYS is stuck in the 90's too...lol
Then that means city-data is stuck in the 90s, not me.

I'll pass on "authentic" Texas italian food...just like how i'm sure you would pass on NY bbq food. It goes both ways. No big deal.

Just to compare, here's a list of 225 restaurants in Syracuse. I think they offer more than Dallas or Houston--

Syracuse Restaurants | MyTravelGuide.com

Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 PM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Just for those that don't know: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

http://parents.syr.edu/arearestaurants2009.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
Quote:
Uh, yeah...last year I went to Bermuda and Puerto Rico. The year before that, Las Vegas. I also go to Florida 3 times a year, and have been going every year since I was 14. You're talking to someone who spends like 2 months of the year traveling...lol.
2 months of traveling but have never been to Ca or Tex? right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City