Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most dominated by the redneck/hillbilly/hick culture
Alabama 12 23.08%
Arkansas 10 19.23%
Florida 1 1.92%
Georgia 2 3.85%
Kentucky 4 7.69%
Louisiana 1 1.92%
Mississippi 3 5.77%
North Carolina 0 0%
Oklahoma 1 1.92%
South Carolina 0 0%
Tennessee 3 5.77%
Texas 6 11.54%
Virginia 0 0%
West Virginia 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

This is a highly flawed poll. Anyone that thinks there are none of the aforementioned group in places like New York and Penn. are just very uninformed. You figure in the high population in those states and you have a large number of them.

I would expect nothing less from the Op though.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:48 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
This is a highly flawed poll. Anyone that thinks there are none of the aforementioned group in places like New York and Penn. are just very uninformed. You figure in the high population in those states and you have a large number of them.

I would expect nothing less from the Op though.
Northern states and west coast cities have some rednecks.

The majority of them are in the south though

I would have expected nothing but your response. Whah, whah, whah

Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Texas is winning this poll? Wow. "Dominated" by rednecks/hillbillies? A state with 3 of the top 10 largest cities? And very modern cities at that. Houston ranks 3rd in the country in foreign consulates.

Most of the population is in these large metros, not the rural areas.

Great to see idiotic stereotypes are alive and well...

Old 05-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Texas is winning this poll? Wow. "Dominated" by rednecks/hillbillies? A state with 3 of the top 10 largest cities? And very modern cities at that. Houston ranks 3rd in the country in foreign consulates.

Most of the population is in these large metros, not the rural areas.

Great to see idiotic stereotypes are alive and well...
Rural texas has a lot of rednecks

I have seen this first hand

However, I agree with you

Texas is the least redneck out of all of the states on this poll....Florida too

Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Northern states and west coast cities have some rednecks.

The majority of them are in the south though

I would have expected nothing but your response. Whah, whah, whah
Do you see any whining from me? No, but I see you can not have someone disagree with your obviously slanted view without you taking offense to it.

You have obviously never been to upsate NY or the farm country of Pennsylvania. If you had been you would realize the fault in your post.

It doesn't surprise me though since you continually post about things you know nothing about.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
NYC1DAY, why are you so considered about rednecks/hillbillies? Did one harm you or something? This kind of hate is simply not given to Northerners by the Southern people unless provoked. You spend so much time on an internet forum trying to degrade the PLACE YOU LIVE. Face it, you live here, and you act like the culture is "backwards" because no one is sipping Starbucks, going to the opera and art shows, joining social groups, and shopping at Saks?

I personally don't notice anything that sets the South apart from the North in terms of people. There are trashy people everywhere. In the South, they are called rednecks. Besides, what bothers you so much about the culture. I imagine the people you see do these things: 1. NASCAR (I don't watch it or know many people who do-- but its a sport popular across the USA) 2. Mudding/Pickup Trucks (People on the West Coast and other areas do this, does this make them "redneck?" 3. Hunting/Fishing (people do this across the USA as well) 4. Christianity (I'm not Christian but I don't get anything negative towards it. I got a wide circle of friends with diverse interests as well.)

You act like the North is some sort of utopia. The only places you'll like are NYC, Boston, Philly, NJ, DC/Baltimore. The metro areas. The rural areas will have many of the same "problems" as areas in the South. Face it, you require a large metro to be happy and are not built for a rural area. You're likely a "yuppie." Its not for everyone. Stop putting it down because you're not happy or have all your friends move out.

Also, you don't understand the South at all. Its all about freedom to do what you want on your property and enjoy a slower pace of life. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you need to create threads degrading it to make yourself feel better.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Do you see any whining from me? No, but I see you can not have someone disagree with your obviously slanted view without you taking offense to it.

You have obviously never been to upsate NY or the farm country of Pennsylvania. If you had been you would realize the fault in your post.

It doesn't surprise me though since you continually post about things you know nothing about.
I see a lot of whining from you. You quote me and say that you don't agree with me, but continue to quote me and loose every battle. You can think of my view as slanted or however you want to take it. I really don't care. I have lived in the north, west coast, new south and deep south. I never experience people like this in SC. Every person here is a hick. So, if you dont like it then whine to somone who cares

Yeah, I have been to many places all over NY and PA. They dont compare to the hicks in the south

I don't enjoy speaking with you on this forum so I will be the bigger person to end this argument. The redneck location that you are posting from (Tampa) is reflected to much in your post. Therefore, you have been added to my ignore list

Quote me all you want Mr. Mike Peterson. You will not get a response from me with your slanted, crooked, non sense post

Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Rural texas has a lot of rednecks

I have seen this first hand

However, I agree with you

Texas is the least redneck out of all of the states on this poll....Florida too
How does a redneck look or act?? I'm just curious because people are throwing this word around as if it has a defined definition.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How does a redneck look or act?? I'm just curious because people are throwing this word around as if it has a defined definition.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2387/redneck2009.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-16-2009, 01:11 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,459 times
Hey! Leave my family members out of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City