Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Houston
Houston 107 39.93%
Denver 161 60.07%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,760,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Houston is hot, humid, and flat, I've lived there and it's not my kind of place.
I have family in Denver and I would choose it over Houston anyday. I love the mountains!
Similar experience as you. Agree with this all the way. Weather is very non-conducive to exercise, too...Houston just got ranked fattest city again, some 34% obesity rate. Staggering.
http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012...-fattest-city/

For someone who thrives on being active Denver tops Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Similar experience as you. Agree with this all the way. Weather is very non-conducive to exercise, too...Houston just got ranked fattest city again, some 34% obesity rate. Staggering.
Magazine votes Houston America’s fattest city | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog
That article says that 34% of Houstonians are reported as being overweight, and not obese.

The CDC actually reports that the level of childhood obesity in Houston is not only lower than the Texas average, but the national average as well.

Survey finds Houstonian health worse than national average - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
For someone who thrives on being active Denver tops Houston.
I'm quite proud to say that I am a significantly active and healthy person. I easily still prefer Houston.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That article says that 34% of Houstonians are reported as being overweight, and not obese.

The CDC actually reports that the level of childhood obesity in Houston is not only lower than the Texas average, but the national average as well.

Survey finds Houstonian health worse than national average - Houston Chronicle

I'm quite proud to say that I am a significantly active and healthy person. I easily still prefer Houston.
Awesome, but you are part of a small minority. I prefer topography, scenery and not being in a perpetual flop sweat when I exercise.

Thanks for the correction on the article, I always thought that overweight stats, at least including obesity, were much higher, like in the ~60-70% range across the nation...this must be overweight but not obese. I dunno.

I prefer a culture where high levels of physical activity, exercise, healthy eating etc. is a cornerstone...Houston does not have this, Denver does.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,035,830 times
Quote:
So you'd rather go for a run in the oppressive heat, sure why not...

Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Awesome, but you are part of a small minority.
Is that so? Care to provide a source?

Denver is nice, but mountains, hiking trails, and all that take a back seat to immense diversity, dining, and culture, for me.

Quote:
So you'd rather go for a run in the oppressive heat, sure why not...
Considering the fact that most of the year is not oppressively hot, I'd say that I'm just fine, thank you.

And exercising in the heat isn't necessarily that bad for all. Everyone isn't a wimp.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Considering the fact that most of the year is not oppressively hot, I'd say that I'm just fine, thank you.

And exercising in the heat isn't necessarily that bad for all. Everyone isn't a wimp.
It's 90F+ and humid there for 7 months out of the year.
At least that's what it felt like to me living there. Then again I have a low threshold for heat.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Is that so? Care to provide a source?

Denver is nice, but mountains, hiking trails, and all that take a back seat to immense diversity, dining, and culture, for me.

You just provided some evidence there. I think that sentiment exists in many Houston residents which is fine, just very different than Denver. I'm okay with decent diversity and high culture, and great dining (which Denver has) but I love scenery and outdoorsy options, and a city whose residents take advantage of it.

On top of that, there is loads of evidence. Houston is one of the poorest performing cities when it comes to rates of diabetes and obesity, unhealthy eating, and a sedentary lifestyle. It's a logical conclusion that active healthy lifestyles in Houston are a minority. Here's one study:
U.S. City Wellbeing Tracking

Denver is pretty much the diametrical opposite in this regard. How could you not want to be active? Milder weather, drier air, gorgeous topography, bike-friendly culture, etc. etc.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
You just provided some evidence there. I think that sentiment exists in many Houston residents which is fine, just very different than Denver. I'm okay with decent diversity and high culture, and great dining (which Denver has) but I love scenery and outdoorsy options, and a city whose residents take advantage of it.

On top of that, there is loads of evidence. Houston is one of the poorest performing cities when it comes to rates of diabetes and obesity, unhealthy eating, and a sedentary lifestyle. It's a logical conclusion that active healthy lifestyles in Houston are a minority. Here's one study:
U.S. City Wellbeing Tracking

Denver is pretty much the diametrical opposite in this regard. How could you not want to be active? Milder weather, drier air, gorgeous topography, bike-friendly culture, etc. etc.
Excuse me, but I believe the issue at hand was which city an active person would prefer; not a) which city has a greater percentage of healthy residents or b) which city could be perceived as better at catering to the active. These are three different things.

You can only assume that most active people would prefer to LIVE in Denver over Houston.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It's 90F+ and humid there for 7 months out of the year.
At least that's what it felt like to me living there. Then again I have a low threshold for heat.
Well, just say that, then. Houston isn't anywhere close to being above 90 degrees for most of the year.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Well, just say that, then. Houston isn't anywhere close to being above 90 degrees for most of the year.
Well it sure felt like it when I lived there, my mum seems to agree with me and she grew up near Beaumont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City