U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:16 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,494,958 times

Advertisements

Boston. I'd take either though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,654,508 times
Same here. I would go with either.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,761,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Restaurants Philly, hand down, Boston's too expensive and overrated!!
Shopping The edge goes to Boston because of Newbury St, we still don't
have our own version of Copley Place, although Walnut St is
catching up!!!
Museums Philly is basically not just a historical place, but has a vibrant art
scene to go along with. Boston just dwells on it's past, plus it's
too conservative!!!
Scenery Both cities are beautiful in their own way, so it's a tie!!!
Architecture Both cities have great architecture, but Philly's showing some
boldness but constrcuting the ACC, as well as Mandeville Place
and the Cira Center 2. Boston's skyscrapers are just bland!!!
Public Transportation I'm giving this to Boston simply because it has a much more
expansive commuter rail system. Philly's system is a disgrace.
And don't get me started on the subway system, very
antiquated!!!
Parks Both ahve great parks, but Philly's park system is bigger and
more scenic than Boston's, IMO!!!
Arts Like I said above, Philly has a very vibrant arts scene!!!
Festivals Philly!!!
Schools As far as public schools, both are messy, but for higher (and
affordable) education, it's Philly. Boston's just too preppy and
cliquey for me (blue bloods).
Nightlife Philly
Diversity Philly, Boston's just too white and Irish dominated. Philly's
Italian dominated, but blacks can still live in South Philly, unlike
South Boston.
Livability Philly
Urban Both cities are pretty urban.

My response is that Philly kills Boston in almost everything!!!
re: the last few....

i don't know about higher education. i think boston has the best in the country. and from nightlife experience, i think boston has some serious upscale lounges similar to philly and better clubs than philly. both have a lot of college kids going out. but boston seems to have a better upscale scene. while philly has slightly more of a rough edge. both cities definitely get their groove on at night though . and i think diversity is pretty similar nowadays. boston has a big international scene because of the higher learning.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 AM

4,861 posts, read 5,917,165 times
Boston seems great, but I find it boring as heck. I vote philly

Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 AM

2,103 posts, read 3,167,386 times
Boston is better than Philly to me!!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 AM

86 posts, read 203,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
re: the last few....

i don't know about higher education. i think boston has the best in the country. and from nightlife experience, i think boston has some serious upscale lounges similar to philly and better clubs than philly. both have a lot of college kids going out. but boston seems to have a better upscale scene. while philly has slightly more of a rough edge. both cities definitely get their groove on at night though . and i think diversity is pretty similar nowadays. boston has a big international scene because of the higher learning.
Yoiu have to understand that these are my opinions, but Philly has just a better amount of schools within a 60-mile radius than Boston. We have two Ivy League universities (Penn and Princeton), as well as superb universities in Temple and Drexel.

I don't know whether you've been to Philly, but you've peobably never been to Old City or South St. I'm just tired of Boston and their so-called int'l scene, because as far as the student population is concerned, most of them are transient anyways.

And Philly does have a great music culture, too, something Boston can't really claim. And the black culture is present in this city!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM

1,572 posts, read 5,511,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlakes09 View Post
Boston is better than Philly to me!!
Yeah, I'm surprised about all the Philly love. I would take chowder over cheesteaks any day.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM

20,142 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Quote:
Yoiu have to understand that these are my opinions, but Philly has just a better amount of schools within a 60-mile radius than Boston. We have two Ivy League universities (Penn and Princeton), as well as superb universities in Temple and Drexel.

I don't know whether you've been to Philly, but you've peobably never been to Old City or South St. I'm just tired of Boston and their so-called int'l scene, because as far as the student population is concerned, most of them are transient anyways.

And Philly does have a great music culture, too, something Boston can't really claim. And the black culture is present in this city!!!
If we're doing a 60 mile radius, then I don't see how Philly can have Boston beat in higher education. Harvard and MIT are as prestigious, if not more so, than Penn and Princeton, and Tufts, UMASS Boston, Brandeis, Boston U, Boston College, and Northeastern University are also large, well-known institutions.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,119,712 times
Quote:

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Harvard or MIT, but they've got a pretty good reputation. So does Boston College, Boston University, Suffolk, Brandeis, Tufts, Bentley, Northeastern, Wellesley, Lesley, and if you're going to include anything within a 60 mile radius, Brown. In my opinion, there's really no competition between Boston and Philadelphia when it comes to colleges.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:34 PM

334 posts, read 1,162,634 times
Saying Boston is conservative is like saying Saudi Arabia is liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City