U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,761,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Yoiu have to understand that these are my opinions, but Philly has just a better amount of schools within a 60-mile radius than Boston. We have two Ivy League universities (Penn and Princeton), as well as superb universities in Temple and Drexel.

I don't know whether you've been to Philly, but you've peobably never been to Old City or South St. I'm just tired of Boston and their so-called int'l scene, because as far as the student population is concerned, most of them are transient anyways.

And Philly does have a great music culture, too, something Boston can't really claim. And the black culture is present in this city!!!
i agree irespect your opinions...i just gave a few of mine...and not from a white perspective either..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 3,847,204 times
Is this a joke? Philadelphia is a nice city, but comeon, comparing it to Boston.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,761,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Is this a joke? Philadelphia is a nice city, but comeon, comparing it to Boston.
that's what i used to think growing up in new england....but , unless its
manhattan/nyc, i'd take philly...far cooler. its got more brooklyn/'queens and less uppity white elitist...gahbage

Old 06-20-2009, 11:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 11,948,319 times
Boston.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:18 AM

49 posts, read 135,515 times
Quote:
Restaurants Philly, hand down, Boston's too expensive and overrated!!
Shopping The edge goes to Boston because of Newbury St, we still don't
have our own version of Copley Place, although Walnut St is
catching up!!!
Museums Philly is basically not just a historical place, but has a vibrant art
scene to go along with. Boston just dwells on it's past, plus it's
too conservative!!!
Scenery Both cities are beautiful in their own way, so it's a tie!!!
Architecture Both cities have great architecture, but Philly's showing some
boldness but constrcuting the ACC, as well as Mandeville Place
and the Cira Center 2. Boston's skyscrapers are just bland!!!
Public Transportation I'm giving this to Boston simply because it has a much more
expansive commuter rail system. Philly's system is a disgrace.
And don't get me started on the subway system, very
antiquated!!!
Parks Both ahve great parks, but Philly's park system is bigger and
more scenic than Boston's, IMO!!!
Arts Like I said above, Philly has a very vibrant arts scene!!!
Festivals Philly!!!
Schools As far as public schools, both are messy, but for higher (and
affordable) education, it's Philly. Boston's just too preppy and
cliquey for me (blue bloods).
Nightlife Philly
Diversity Philly, Boston's just too white and Irish dominated. Philly's
Italian dominated, but blacks can still live in South Philly, unlike
South Boston.
Livability Philly
Urban Both cities are pretty urban.

My response is that Philly kills Boston in almost everything!!!
*Restaurants - Haven't been in enough Boston restaurants to give an educated opinion. Based on others experiences, both cities can hold there own in this category.

*Shopping - Boston wins (within the city limits at least). Philly has very good shopping if you include the immediate burbs.

*Museums - Philly may have the edge but its very debatable. Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean about Boston being too conservative. Both cities can't be defined as conservative in the political sense.

*Scenery - Boston may have the edge since it borders the ocean.

*Architecture - I am naturally inclined to be in favor of Philly, but trying to be objective, I'd give the edge to Boston. However, Philly's skyline is better than Bostons IMO. By the way, those skyscrapers you mentioned in Philly aren't even constructed, nor is there even a good chance that they will be anytime soon.

*Public transportation - I give the edge to Philly. We Philadelphians complain about SEPTA like its an obligation, but one must consider the whole package. Philly is served by SEPTA, NJ Transit, and Patco. We have multiple 24 hour rail lines - (Port authority, and various light rail routes), and many buses run all night as well. Also, I don't believe that Boston's commuter rail is much more extensive than Philly's is. I wouldn't be surprised if they are about equal. Boston does have much better and more extensive Ferry service.

*Parks - Philly is a bigger city so it has a more extensive park system though Boston has beautiful parks.

*Arts - Maybe a Tie, though the Philly music scene I feel is a bit more "street" and gritty.

*Schools - Boston wins, though Philly is no slouch.

*Nightlife - Philly's better, without a second thought IMO.

*Diversity - This is debatable, yet I feel Philly "feels" a bit more diverse.

*Livability - Boston is more livable as far as crime rate goes and its percentage of good housing stock. Philly is more livable as far as cost of living goes.

*Urban - Boston is very urban but I think its level of urbanity is not as extensive as Philly's urban area coverage. In Philadelphia, the highly urban neighborhoods go on for miles and miles, and then extend to many of the surrounding communities for miles. I don't get the same impression when in Boston.

Neither city is "better" than the other. Most things comes down to preference.

Last edited by ajaxrasputin; 06-21-2009 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 02:21 AM

49 posts, read 135,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Yeah, this is a joke. Everyone is in on it except you evidently.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,456,511 times
Good comparison, better than the original one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
*Restaurants - Haven't been in enough Boston restaurants to give an educated opinion. Based on others experiences, both cities can hold there own in this category.

*Shopping - Boston wins (within the city limits at least). Philly has very good shopping if you include the immediate burbs.

*Museums - Philly may have the edge but its very debatable. Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean about Boston being too conservative. Both cities can't be defined as conservative in the political sense.

*Architecture - I am naturally inclined to be in favor of Philly, but trying to be objective, I'd give the edge to Boston. However, Philly's skyline is better than Bostons IMO. By the way, those skyscrapers you mentioned in Philly aren't even constructed, nor is there even a good chance that they will be anytime soon.

*Public transportation - I give the edge to Philly. We Philadelphians complain about SEPTA like its an obligation, but one must consider the whole package. Philly is served by SEPTA, NJ Transit, and Patco. We have multiple 24 hour rail lines - (Port authority, and various light rail routes), and many buses run all night as well. Also, I don't believe that Boston's commuter rail is much more extensive than Philly's is. I wouldn't be surprised if they are about equal. Boston does have much better and more extensive Ferry service.

*Parks - Philly is a bigger city so it has a more extensive park system though Boston has beautiful parks.

*Arts - Maybe a Tie, though the Philly music scene I feel is a bit more "street" and gritty.

*Livability - Boston is more livable as far as crime rate goes and its percentage of good housing stock. Philly is more livable as far as cost of living goes.

*Urban - Boston is very urban but I think its level of urbanity is not as extensive as Philly's urban area coverage. In Philadelphia, the highly urban neighborhoods go on for miles and miles, and then extend to many of the surrounding communities for miles. I don't get the same impression when in Boston.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,456,511 times
For public transportation, I do think the edge should be given to Boston. For both subway and light rail, Boston has more ridership and Pilly is the larger city. So Boston wins hands down.

Subway: Boston 4th, Pilly 6th.
Light rail: Boston 1st, Pilly 4th

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post

Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM

114 posts, read 498,316 times
Quote:
Yoiu have to understand that these are my opinions, but Philly has just a better amount of schools within a 60-mile radius than Boston. We have two Ivy League universities (Penn and Princeton), as well as superb universities in Temple and Drexel.

I don't know whether you've been to Philly, but you've peobably never been to Old City or South St. I'm just tired of Boston and their so-called int'l scene, because as far as the student population is concerned, most of them are transient anyways.

And Philly does have a great music culture, too, something Boston can't really claim. And the black culture is present in this city!!!
Black and white aren't the only races.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 AM

196 posts, read 900,476 times
Boston and Philly shouldnt be competing with one another....we should be trying to pincer New York!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City