U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 AM

6,810 posts, read 9,368,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
Boston and Philly shouldnt be competing with one another....we should be trying to pincer New York!
Philadelphia (and Pennsylvania as a whole) does not seem to hate or look down on the New York area the way Eastern Massachusetts and New Hampshire does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times
Boston has the healthier neighborhoods and better overall city. Philadlephia the better downtown. Metro region is a draw for me. But most importantly Philadelphia has the better baseball team. World Champions.

Last edited by rainrock; 06-21-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 PM

49 posts, read 135,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
For public transportation, I do think the edge should be given to Boston. For both subway and light rail, Boston has more ridership and Pilly is the larger city. So Boston wins hands down.

Subway: Boston 4th, Pilly 6th.
Light rail: Boston 1st, Pilly 4th

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess it depends on the criteria used to decide which public transit system is better. Boston's has cheaper fares which is a plus. Boston's rail lines have higher ridership overall.

Philly's Heavy rail system (including PATCO) covers a slightly larger area than Bostons. SEPTA's light rail covers a much larger area than Boston's light rail. This doesn't even include NJ transit's light rail river line which serves the Philadelphia area. Both cities (SEPTA and MBTA) regional rail covers about the same route miles, though when including NJ transit's regional line which serves Philly, this gives Philly a larger regional rail coverage area.

So basically, Boston's rail lines are cheaper, cleaner, and utilized more than Philly's. Philly's rail lines cover more miles. Philly has several light rail routes that operate 24 hours a day and one heavy rail line that runs 24/7. Several Septa regional rail lines in Philly operate till after 2AM also. Philly's SEPTA bus ridership is also much higher (not including the many NJ Transit bus lines that serve Philly and suburbs). Numerous bus lines run all night.

Based on the more extensive rail and bus coverage in the Philadelphia area, and the later operating hours of rail and buses, I personally give Philly a slight edge. However, Boston's ferry service kills Philadelphias, so this may even them out as far as Public Transportation goes. Props to the people of the Boston area for utilizing public transportation to the extent that they do.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:12 PM

7,323 posts, read 8,979,795 times
Default Good points, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
I guess it depends on the criteria used to decide which public transit system is better. Boston's has cheaper fares which is a plus. Boston's rail lines have higher ridership overall.

Philly's Heavy rail system (including PATCO) covers a slightly larger area than Bostons. SEPTA's light rail covers a much larger area than Boston's light rail. This doesn't even include NJ transit's light rail river line which serves the Philadelphia area. Both cities (SEPTA and MBTA) regional rail covers about the same route miles, though when including NJ transit's regional line which serves Philly, this gives Philly a larger regional rail coverage area.

So basically, Boston's rail lines are cheaper, cleaner, and utilized more than Philly's. Philly's rail lines cover more miles. Philly has several light rail routes that operate 24 hours a day and one heavy rail line that runs 24/7. Several Septa regional rail lines in Philly operate till after 2AM also. Philly's SEPTA bus ridership is also much higher (not including the many NJ Transit bus lines that serve Philly and suburbs). Numerous bus lines run all night.

Based on the more extensive rail and bus coverage in the Philadelphia area, and the later operating hours of rail and buses, I personally give Philly a slight edge. However, Boston's ferry service kills Philadelphias, so this may even them out as far as Public Transportation goes. Props to the people of the Boston area for utilizing public transportation to the extent that they do.
...you may not realize just how far the MBTA extends; from downtown Boston, it reaches as far west as Worcester (central MA), as far south as Providence, RI, and as far north as Lowell/Haverhill/Gloucester, all near the NH state line. All this may explain why many forego the expense of a car and just walk/taxi or ride public transit here.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:27 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
i changed my mind again. i choose boston

Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 AM

9,823 posts, read 13,562,849 times
Philadelphia's rail system extends to Newark, DE. Also, to the point about colleges, there's Bryn Mawr College (an Ivy), St. Joe's University, Widener, Villanova, Ursinus, Rowan, Arcadia, LaSalle. Just thought I'd add those, for what their worth.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,061,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Philadelphia's rail system extends to Newark, DE. Also, to the point about colleges, there's Bryn Mawr College (an Ivy), St. Joe's University, Widener, Villanova, Ursinus, Rowan, Arcadia, LaSalle. Just thought I'd add those, for what their worth.
All great schools that deserve to be mentioned. Philadelphia certainly has some respectable universities. Bryn Mawr, however, is not 'any ivy'. I think many people misunderstand what constitutes an ivy league school. There are only 8.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,112,091 times
I'd think it'd be pretty safe to say the mass transit between Boston and Philly is basically a draw. Philadelphia is a great (amazing even) college town. I just wouldn't say it's as good as Boston, which could make the argument that it's the best college city in the world.

Here's a map of the colleges in Boston, Cambridge and pieces of other interior cities:

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM

49 posts, read 135,452 times
Quote:
Yeah, I forgot that it goes all the way south to Newark. Also, though it's not SEPTA that runs this line, Philly has a "regional" line run by NJ transit that goes as far east as Atlantic City.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,010,089 times
Quote:
Bryn Mawr is definately not an Ivy. its known as part of the Seven Sisters. do your homework, its not rocket science to name all the ivy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City