U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM

105 posts, read 49,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Philadelphia is the taller business owner? How about the crack fiend brother with AIDS and dyslexia?

Wasn't aware Noam Chomsky had AIDS and dyslexia!

Any other native Philadelphians with the same thing?

I always thought all the smart people went to Boston. Didn't know all of them were born there instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,551,757 times
I definitely like Philly better personally, at least based on my experiences so far.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:50 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,175,110 times
After 59 pages, we're now comparing Noam Chomsky and the American Revolution. Nice.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 AM

7,855 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post

I always thought all the smart people went to Boston. Didn't know all of them were born there instead.
It's a myth that there are a lot of smart people in Boston. Lots of people who think they are smart, sure. But most smart people leave after college.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM

My post was sarcasm, and I agree bjimmy24.

Boston's schools attract them, but they leave after college. It's not like Boston natives are just smarter by default of birth. Definitely some that think they are as well.

Similar to how UPenn's Wharton Business School has the wealthiest alumni in the world. They go to Philly to get their degree, then leave and run most of the world's most influential businesses.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM

206 posts, read 266,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's a myth that there are a lot of smart people in Boston. Lots of people who think they are smart, sure. But most smart people leave after college.

This is not true. College grads stay or leave depending on may factors including job markets and where they lived before going to a distant elite school like those in both cities. Philly and Boston are both in the middle of the pack for retention of graduates.

Which U.S. Metros Are Best at Keeping Their College Grads? - CityLab

Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 AM

8,641 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
My post was sarcasm, and I agree bjimmy24.

Boston's schools attract them, but they leave after college. It's not like Boston natives are just smarter by default of birth. Definitely some that think they are as well.

Similar to how UPenn's Wharton Business School has the wealthiest alumni in the world. They go to Philly to get their degree, then leave and run most of the world's most influential businesses.
Massachusetts does have the best public school system in the country by most accounts.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

8,641 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
This is not true. College grads stay or leave depending on may factors including job markets and where they lived before going to a distant elite school like those in both cities. Philly and Boston are both in the middle of the pack for retention of graduates.

Which U.S. Metros Are Best at Keeping Their College Grads? - CityLab
One has to take into account the number of colllege students in the metro. Boston has a disproportionate amount of students compared to its size so while the % might be low the raw numbers would not be. Boston has 5 top 50 schools and the metro has 1.5% of the US population so it will have a hard time retaining even an average number of graduates.
Compared to say Detroit which has Wayne State and that's it (UM is not in the MSA) it's Student/Population ratoio leads to better retention rates but lower overall retention if that makes sense.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:13 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,712,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
The point is, Philadelphia put a name and a cause behind what happened up in Boston.

It's not as if Paul Revere was riding around yelling "for America!"

Conception came from Philadelphia, that is why it is celebrated there and not Boston.

I mean, if you really wanna get technical, everything American is London's and England's credit. No? All of Boston's achievements and Philadelphia's achievements, lets just give it to London! It all came from there, right? That's how silly you sound.

At the time the first shot was "heard' up in Boston, it was largely an isolated incident happening until the Continental Congress started meeting and taking things more seriously. It wasn't this grand plan until then.
Philadelphia did not put a name and a cause behind what happened in Boston. To the contrary, what happened in Boston made Philly what it was and is.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Philadelphia did not put a name and a cause behind what happened in Boston. To the contrary, what happened in Boston made Philly what it was and is.
No.

It's not as if Paul Revere said "for America!" when he warned everyone. It was in it's infancy at that point.

Philadelphia actually made sense of it and made it a real movement.

If Philly didn't support Boston, it would've remained an isolated incident. Philadelphia was the most important colonial city at that time. I thought that was obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City