U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 AM

621 posts, read 362,943 times

Advertisements

Philly homers making it into another pissfest.
Philly homers vs Houston homers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 07:00 AM

105 posts, read 49,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Isolated incident?!?!?!?

Two major land battles (Lexington/Concord and Bunker Hill) along with a siege is not an isolated incident, it's a full bloody revolution. Please educate yourself before you type.

Boston dragged the nation into independence in some cases kicking and screaming. Philly's contribution? Geographical centrality which dictated where the colonies would meet to conduct its business.

Read up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...on_and_Concord
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Boston
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill

It just as easily could have been Baltimore that was chosen for the location of the Continental Congress Which btw was also formed in reaction to what was happening in..you guessed it, Boston.

Read the beginning of the second paragraph in the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Congress

As far as American Independence goes, Boston literally made Philly.

Philadelphia legitimized the incidents in Boston. It's already been discussed in the thread. Boston sparked brawn while Philadelphia went over a more diplomatic solution, the brains.

Modern democracy was formed and modeled after in Philadelphia. Not sure where Boston comes into play there. That's the point, but Boston has to stick it's nose into everything, of course.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Hands down love Boston. Really fun and amazing city to be in. The city has a lot of history, culture, beautiful neighborhoods, clean, good public transport, education, low crime, great food, and near the water. Downside would probably be climate but that's due to geography not the city itself. It's also a very unique city.

Fun isn't really a word I would describe a city whose transit shuts down before midnight and doesn't even have happy hour. The nightlife is the most lackluster of any city I've been to.

I've never heard anyone have a crazy and wild weekend in Boston.

But if racism and the worst income inequality in the states is your thing, go nuts.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Build 15 more highrises, then we'll have a discussion which city is better. Right now, Boston by a landslide. It's a real international city with alot of sightseeings.
True in 2012. True now. Boston is anihilating Philly on infill, midrise and low-highrise construction.
Boston is anihilating Philly on housing units, total sq ft of office and luxury highrise housing (all categories).... it's a blowout.
to confirm this true fact, just open this link....
BOSTON | Projects & Construction - Page 43 - SkyscraperCity

But, Philly is anihilating Boston on over 775' skyscrapers, and will soon begin to pull away from Boston on total, highrise construction in less than 5~7 years. Philly just has sooo much more land.
Naysayers, have at it. It's not even close.
Proof; just open this link....
SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - BOSTON | Projects & Construction

Old 04-28-2017, 07:32 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/u...vice.html?_r=0

Old 04-28-2017, 07:54 AM

^^a black eye to be sure. The T is grossly underfunded by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts....
If we're willing to be honest, Philly also has their fair share of black eyes.
In any case, to pay for the expansion of the T's Green Line and other major capital improvements....
That program will end in about 5-7 years (or sooner), after the current build cycle matures....
Lyft and Uber began cutting deep into the MBTA's late-night ridership... it's not a permanent cut.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM

10,892 posts, read 7,712,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
Philadelphia legitimized the incidents in Boston. It's already been discussed in the thread. Boston sparked brawn while Philadelphia went over a more diplomatic solution, the brains.

Modern democracy was formed and modeled after in Philadelphia. Not sure where Boston comes into play there. That's the point, but Boston has to stick it's nose into everything, of course.
Ah, now I see where this is coming from.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM

1,027 posts, read 570,114 times
Quote:
I hear a lot of people go an hour south to Providence to have fun on the weekends.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Fun isn't really a word I would describe a city whose transit shuts down before midnight and doesn't even have happy hour. The nightlife is the most lackluster of any city I've been to.

But if racism and the worst income inequality in the states is your thing, go nuts.
I went to Boston recently, and the nightlife was a little underwhelming. I found one cool place, but overall it doesn't seem like that good of a nightlife city. Granted, I'm not a local and I've only been there once so I'm not too knowledgeable on the city's nightlife scene.

And damn, the 2AM last call is early enough, and the places tend to turn the lights on at like 1:20!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
I liked Boston, but there was something that it lacked that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it's a little too polished?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City