U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2017, 03:25 PM

621 posts, read 362,943 times

Advertisements

re; Providence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Incorrect.
i was a surfer. so on runs down to Pt Judith, Matunuck, Gansett or Monahans, you'd expect to run in to Dave Levy or Pete Pan.
so one day i get dragged down to Providence to a pretty wild house party.
And who makes an appearance?
Yep. Mr. Rhode Island himself, Peter Pan.
A dozen years later i'm hanging out in Hatteras.
and who do i run into;
here he is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgF-vCVr4PE

Last edited by odurandina; 04-28-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM

105 posts, read 49,663 times
Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

Old 04-28-2017, 09:41 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,335,427 times
Two great cities.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:54 PM

262 posts, read 198,078 times
It seems like Philly is on the radar screen for New Yorkers and Washingtonians and some Bostonians as place to live .
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/4/28/1...dc-home-prices

Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 AM

105 posts, read 49,663 times
It's only a matter of time til the price skyrockets like in NYC and DC, so for Philly, get it while it's hot.

It's a city of 1.5 million built for 2 million. It's 3x the size of Boston and DC, so the prices are affordable, but over a decade and a half it'll be out of reach I predict once it catches up.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:04 PM

149 posts, read 77,515 times
I'm not sure you will find two metros more evenly matched than Philadelphia and Boston. They share so many similar traits, with big brother New York, right in the middle.

They both offer the same things, and are very similar style cities.

I will have to go with Philadelphia. I personally enjoy it more than Boston.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:03 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
It's only a matter of time til the price skyrockets like in NYC and DC, so for Philly, get it while it's hot.

It's a city of 1.5 million built for 2 million. It's 3x the size of Boston and DC, so the prices are affordable, but over a decade and a half it'll be out of reach I predict once it catches up.
Keep in mind Philadephia is inland 60-70 miles. Landlocked. It has a whole eastern front to grow and build that NYC + Boston dont have. For that reason I just dont see Philadlephias real estate prices to ever reach Boston/NY heights.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM

919 posts, read 833,142 times
Ten years ago, I would have easily said Boston. But Philly has undergone a big renaissance in that time. Now I would probably go with Philly. Boston just seems really overpriced for what you get. It's a very polished city. But it just feels so small after a while. I get the gap isn't really 3x larger when you factor in city boundries. But Philly has aspirations to be a major city in a way Boston just cant/dosent want to. Boston maybe building more than Philly on paper, but so much of it is boring stuff the Seaport vs Philly which is doubling down on city center and extending the big city vibrancy.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:37 AM

4,948 posts, read 6,869,998 times
Philllllllay all day

Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,407,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Boston just seems really overpriced for what you get. It's a very polished city. But it just feels so small after a while.
This is something you often hear about Boston, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder: Is it really true?

I looked at Google maps of both Philadelphia and Boston, and if you zoom them to the same level, it looks like the dense, walkable areas of both cities are roughly equal in size. (I'd link them here, but it's not really useful because I have no way of telling the size of everyone's browser window.) And when people talk about the size of a city as a selling point, that's really what they're talking about, not endless blocks of single-family housing.

Because I can't really show you the maps, let's try this. Here are walking directions from the Paul Revere House in Boston's North End to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in the Fenway. If you were to take this walk, you'd never leave a dense, urban area. I could have made it longer, but this was a nice and easy route. Interestingly, even though Boston's neighboring municipalities are more a part of its urban fabric than most cities, on this particular walk, you never leave the city limits. According to Google, it's 3.3 miles and will take you just over an hour.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+...2d42.33818!3e2

I don't know Philly nearly as well, but I'll take a stab at it. This walk takes you from the Art Museum to the corner of South Street and South Front Street. Like in Boston, I probably could have gone farther here, but this seemed like a solid walk through Philly's dense center. It's 3.2 miles and also takes around an hour.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Phil...39.9409764!3e2

Obviously Philadelphia has the far higher population, but I think this demonstrates that they're roughly equal in scope by the measures most people (at least around here) are talking about when they talk about size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City