U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 221 50.92%
Boston 213 49.08%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 AM

149 posts, read 77,588 times

Advertisements

To throw things even more in Philadelphia's favor.

Wage-tax cuts would help Philly prosper

If it's changed, watch out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 06:29 AM

149 posts, read 77,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Precisely. For half a century Philadelphia was severely under-valued and in many respects neglected and scorned by economic and demographic misfortune. After 20 years of recovery that gains more and more traction, it's on a transformative path as the national and global economy has again shifted to favor classic urban centers with robust knowledge/service economies.

Boston has definitely had an edge on Philly economically in this regard, and no doubt the city will remain a knowledge economy powerhouse with a extremely attractive and competitive top tier metro area that will continue to grow and modernize, but it's hard to argue against the momentum and passion/excitement for change and revitalization being on Philly's side.

Combined with the tangible aspects of residing in a critical location (even moreso than Boston) in the ever-posperous Northeast Corridor, a dynamic and underrated academic and business community, underrated concentration of wealth, fewer land constraints, less fervent development opposition, a far more balanced housing market, comprehensive public transit infrastructure, and an objectively better climate, it's not hard to imagine how Philly maintains a "sweet spot" that few cities have.

Seriously. Philadelphia has the affordability edge and will for decades. If the wage tax is changed, it's got much more potential to grow than Boston, which I think will cap out due to absurd costs. Boston has a bubble, Philadelphia does not. Huge advantage for Philadelphia.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
Seriously. Philadelphia has the affordability edge and will for decades. If the wage tax is changed, it's got much more potential to grow than Boston, which I think will cap out due to absurd costs. Boston has a bubble, Philadelphia does not. Huge advantage for Philadelphia.
This is absolutely true.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 AM

561 posts, read 798,080 times
202-202. Wow!

Old 05-11-2017, 03:25 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,407,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Boston only lacks one of the three main gears that global cities have, it does to its credit, have the other two gears though.
Good post, but I'm going to take minor issue with just two things you said.

Quote:
No one goes to Boston solely to go shopping the way they do for Hong Kong or Dubai.
This is probably true, but honestly, Newbury Street is my favorite shopping strip anywhere. And when I'm there, I always hear foreign languages being spoken (by obvious tourists, not immigrants).

Quote:
Its performing arts and cultural institutions don't carry the same recognizable brand as the Louvre in Paris, the MET in New York, the Smithsonian in Washington, the British Museum in London. Or the cachet of the Philharmonic in Berlin, the ballet company in Moscow, or Improv in Chicago.
I'd suggest that the Boston Pops is the nation's best-known pop-classical (or whatever you call it) orchestra. Definitely a strong brand there.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
This is probably true, but honestly, Newbury Street is my favorite shopping strip anywhere. And when I'm there, I always hear foreign languages being spoken (by obvious tourists, not immigrants).
Newbury is my favorite retail commercial corridor in North America as well. Like I may have mentioned earlier, Boston is by far my favorite residential architecture in North America, probably architecture overall in general. It's in the furnace color red that you see with Boston buildings, along with the fact that they look so very clean and fresh, organized, and in general tidy. It makes for an aesthetic delight to the eye.

That being said though, I have to stand by my previous statements. There are cities like Dubai and Hong Kong, where a large amount of their functions consist of poaching shoppers, especially upscale shoppers from nearby countries to come in and shop in those cities. Hong Kong by itself leads the planet in Louis Vuitton stores per capita, it has so many and so many different kinds. Dubai, just flying into the airport you'll see some of the world's most upscale retail brands in the terminals there.

Like I mentioned, Boston's Newbury has nearly every store you can think of, its a great street, my personal favorite in the North American continent but it doesn't by itself elevate Boston into the type of shopping mecca for overseas visitors that destinations like Dubai and Hong Kong can conjure up.

I don't mean for that to be a bad thing though, some of the best tourist cities are some of the worst cities in which to live in for true quality of life aspects. For example, I'd rather live in Boston anytime over Dubai, despite the latter being a global shopping destination while the former is the more localized one IMO.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 PM

621 posts, read 362,943 times
^^ another 700,000 sq ft was approved at this afternoon's BPDA meeting.... Check out the astonishing construction planned in the neighborhoods outside the High Spine, Back Bay, Fenway, etc contained in my monthly Project Summary Sheet....

btw, did you know Boston/Cambridge [residents + college students] Compared to SF/Daly City is about 20,500/sq mi vs 18,400/ sq mi respectively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Boston just isn't a top tier/alpha city, and probably never will be. It's fair to say it's a 2nd tier city, with the likes of SF, Philadelphia and Houston.
BPDA Director Brian Golden announced earlier this afternoon, "Boston has the lowest unemployment of any major US City: at 2.5%"

Project Summary Sheet (an impressive quanity of density and investment to say the least)....

SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - BOSTON | Projects & Construction

Up to the minute Population density of cities or boroughs with at least 75,000 population (my best estimates reflecting recent transactions)....

1. Manhattan, NY; 72,826/sq mile
2. Brooklyn, NY; 37,137
3. The Bronx, NY; 34,321
4. Queens, NY; 21,460
5. Somerville, MA; 18,868 (3,500 residents coming to Assembly Row)
6. San Francisco, CA; 18,451
7. Patterson, NJ; 17,346
8. Cambridge, MA; 17,130 (109,694 + 450 grad student residents)
Cambridge, MA + coll students; 26,648/sq mile (110,144 residents + 60,000 students)
9. Jersey City, NJ; 16,737
10. Boston, MA; **14,000
11. Daly City (San Mateo), CA; 13,843
12. Hawthorne (Los Angeles), CA; 13,800
13. South Gate (Los Angeles), CA; 13,090
14. Santa Ana, (Orange County), CA; 12,451
15. Miami; 12,360
16. Inglewood, (Los Angeles), CA 12,323
17. El Monte (Los Angeles), CA 12,139
18. Chicago; 11,868
19. Philadelphia 11,635
20. Newark, NJ; 11,496
21. Washington DC; 11,158/sq mi

*New York City total pop density; 28,052/sq mi
**Boston reached 677,880 people in the latter part of 2016 or will do so in early 2017.

Major US cities w/ >500,000 pop...

1. New York, NY; 28,052
2. San Francisco, CA; 18,451
3. Boston, MA; 14,000
4. Miami; 12,360
5. Chicago; 11,868
6. Philadelphia, PA; 11,635
7. Washington, DC; 11,158/sq mi

Combined Major US cities w/ New York + Boston/Cambridge/Somerville + SF/Daly City disambigugation >500,000 pop...

1. New York, NY; 28,052
2. San Francisco, CA; 17,803
3. Boston, MA; 14,706 [pop 866,925 (677,880 + Cambridge/Somerville 189,045)
4. Miami; 12,360
5. Chicago; 11,868
6. Philadelphia, PA; 11,635
7. Washington, DC; 11,158

Boston Skyline 2021~22 (arrow Harbor Garage Tower site)....

Old 05-11-2017, 07:34 PM

412 posts, read 254,635 times
Quote:
Newbury is my favorite retail commercial corridor in North America as well. Like I may have mentioned earlier, Boston is by far my favorite residential architecture in North America, probably architecture overall in general. It's in the furnace color red that you see with Boston buildings, along with the fact that they look so very clean and fresh, organized, and in general tidy. It makes for an aesthetic delight to the eye.

That being said though, I have to stand by my previous statements. There are cities like Dubai and Hong Kong, where a large amount of their functions consist of poaching shoppers, especially upscale shoppers from nearby countries to come in and shop in those cities. Hong Kong by itself leads the planet in Louis Vuitton stores per capita, it has so many and so many different kinds. Dubai, just flying into the airport you'll see some of the world's most upscale retail brands in the terminals there.

Like I mentioned, Boston's Newbury has nearly every store you can think of, its a great street, my personal favorite in the North American continent but it doesn't by itself elevate Boston into the type of shopping mecca for overseas visitors that destinations like Dubai and Hong Kong can conjure up.

I don't mean for that to be a bad thing though, some of the best tourist cities are some of the worst cities in which to live in for true quality of life aspects. For example, I'd rather live in Boston anytime over Dubai, despite the latter being a global shopping destination while the former is the more localized one IMO.
So Philadelphia is a global shopping center like Dubai and Hong Kong? If not, why even bring that up? This is a comparison between Boston and Philly.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:36 PM

2,414 posts, read 1,317,643 times
Philly feels like a big city. Boston is not.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,518,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Philly feels like a big city. Boston is not.
I think with a lot of development in west philly has made it feel even larger too.

Picture I took from the Platt bridge the other day.

But really Philly just has an endless amount of grid streets.

NW Philly Facing Center City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City