U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM

33,971 posts, read 32,450,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I agree, I think a lot of people outside the are sometimes seem a lil prejudice against people from NY / NJ. They automatically think we're going to be rude. I'm not sure how this began. We are very past paced, but that doesn't automatically make us rude, just a different way of life than some other places.

As I read on these forums a couple of months ago - The problem with people from NY (and they really mean NYC, Long Island and Westchester not the whole state) is "Whatever comes into their head comes out of their mouth."

That's how New Yorkers get tagged with being obnoxious and rude. I was born in the Bronx and lived on Long Island for 40 years of my life, have been gone for 12, and would have to concur with that sentiment. The problem, as I see it, is that it isn't easy to change. You can change what you eat. You can change where you shop. You can change what you do. But the mouth rears its ugly head no matter what.

New Yorkers, of course, think this is being "honest" or "frank" as if it were a virtue and are so used to being around others just like them don't even know how they (and I) come off to people outside of their region.

And in my opinion, Floridians (by way of New York and New Jersey) are the most despised these days. That's mostly because they ruin every state they touch looking for the next cheapest thing...and then they get mouthy about it when they find out the world doesn't revolve around them in the new place. No one despairs what has become of Florida (costs, storms, illegals) more than people who are on the receiving end of their ex-NYers who are on the move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM

34 posts, read 160,083 times
As someone who grew up in Southern New Jersey and went to college in Arizona and have lived in California for 17yrs (14 in SF and 3 in LA) I've made friends with people from all parts of the USA. I also work in the airline industry and have encountered people from all over the world.

The California, laid back and smiling attitude could irritate some East Coasters especially city folk in NYC, PHL, BOS, the same could be said of the big City East Coasters, bringing their directness, so called "attitude" to the West Coast.

I once was in a club back in my college years in So Cal, a friend from South Philly was visiting. There were a lot of pretty blond hair, blue eyed USC type girls at this club. My friends says to me, "hey check out all the hot babes, I'm gonna get some action tonight"! He then went up to a very attractive 20 something and said, "yo baby, whass up, my name is Joey,watcha ya drinkin, your f***N hot"! I almost fell on the floor laughing to myself and in disbelief.
Ya got it he went home very alone that evening, not a single phone number, and complaining that the girls in So Cal were fake and into themselves.

On the other hand, I went home with two phone numbers, had some great chit chat with the USC girls about my fraternity at ASU and their Sorority at USC and the big football game coming up in a few weeks. I ended up dating the one of the very fine USC girls.

I like the East Coast frankness and sense of humor, however it is often how you say something and the manner in which you say it that can affect others.

I will say people from Chicago tend to have the best blend, of directness and politeness. They have big city attitudes but with midwestern demeanor.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:09 PM

792 posts, read 2,863,872 times
Massachusetts...especially people from New Hampshire disdain "Mass-holes" from the standpoint of rudeness, aggressive driving, and at times electing liberal politicians, the same ones who are driving away people from Mass., only they come to NH and elect representatives with the same mindset.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 53,367 times
I would say maine because everybody makes fun of maine, but nobody really hates mainers. i'd say massachusetts is probably the most hated state.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:45 PM

134 posts, read 394,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdowork View Post
I would say maine because everybody makes fun of maine, but nobody really hates mainers. i'd say massachusetts is probably the most hated state.
When I lived in Florida, I can still remember all the snowbirds coming to eat at Denny's where I worked. The Mainers were among the friendliest folks I met. The rudest....well they already seemed to be covered on here, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 PM

416 posts, read 2,300,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Texans are disliked and ridiculed here in Colorado. And some Coloradans make fun of the Wyomingites, Nebraskans, and Oklahomans, in addition to Californians and most all easterners. I am an easterner by birth, don't adhere to any of this crap.
I have family in the Boulder area and do not really pick up on this? How rude!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 PM

416 posts, read 2,300,903 times
Lot of the western states - Washington State and Arizona - they are not happy with Californians in general for driving the prices up.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 PM

353 posts, read 355,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
I have family in the Boulder area and do not really pick up on this? How rude!
Coloradans have a certain disdain for Californians and, to a much lesser degree, Texans.

As far as Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, et al., they are not even on our collective radar screen. They are nice, quiet neighbors who, generally, do things the way we do. We're cool with them.

But it's the Californians--and also Chicagoans--especially that raise our ire here.

Personally, I'm pretty much okay with everybody except for Chicagoans. The accent is like a drill to my eye.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 AM

95 posts, read 317,788 times
This is all just too funny. People in some states think their rural-state neighbors are hicks. People in rural-states think their densely populated neighbor states are snobs. Stereotypes run rampant - "everybody" in Colorado is a tree-hugging granola eater. "everybody" from NJ is in the mafia. "everybody" in Texas has a ranch, a horse, and at least one pair of cowboy boots. "everybody" in Arkansas makes moonshine. "everybody" in Tennessee loves country music. Isn't it crazy?

we have a little joke in Texas... Do you know why Texas doesn't fall off into the Gulf of Mexico? Because Oklahoma sucks.

but its only in jest - and every state has jokes like that about their neighbors. (I love Oklahoma and would live there in a heartbeat) At least, I don't take any of it seriously. I think most people are nice, and give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 59,646 times
Here in Virginia, no matter what part of Virginia: Northern, Southern, Central... Our neighbors to the left, West Virginians are always the blunt of many jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or