U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM

1,267 posts, read 2,986,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I've never had any problems with people in Colorado, you have your good and bad in every state. I guess since I may be moving there they better get used to the Minnesota nice, if they want to get along,lol.
this is excellent! lol i love some of that midwestern "nice"...like "you better be the kind of 'nice' i am - maybe better yet, the kind of person i am - or ... see ya!" all with little but a smile (and perhaps the ensuing unsaid 'seeya')...or a "i have no idea what planet you're from" kinda response.

Last edited by hello-world; 06-06-2007 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 AM

1,134 posts, read 854,476 times
Hubris is a word. A word to describe a populace that is arrogant but has no real ability to back it up. Braggert, is another word. A braggert is a person that oozes hubris. Michael jordan used to trash talk on the court throughout his career, but he could back it up. Thus, no hubris. A New York person is a braggert. Try this the next time a New York person tries to interject "New York" into a group conversation. They will say, "That wouldn't fly in New York!" or "Well, when I was in New York.." or "Well, in New York, we would do.." or "I NEED MY SEASONS!" When they start this, and they are chomping at the bit to do so, just say, "If New York is so great, ..Why..are..you....Here?" And in an accent that sounds like the ashtray of a '66 buick smells, they will defensively tell you. Such, is the transplanted New York Person.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Hubris is a word. A word to describe a populace that is arrogant but has no real ability to back it up. Braggert, is another word. A braggert is a person that oozes hubris. Michael jordan used to trash talk on the court throughout his career, but he could back it up. Thus, no hubris. A New York person is a braggert. Try this the next time a New York person tries to interject "New York" into a group conversation. They will say, "That wouldn't fly in New York!" or "Well, when I was in New York.." or "Well, in New York, we would do.." or "I NEED MY SEASONS!" When they start this, and they are chomping at the bit to do so, just say, "If New York is so great, ..Why..are..you....Here?" And in an accent that sounds like the ashtray of a '66 buick smells, they will defensively tell you. Such, is the transplanted New York Person.
ignorance is a word. a word to describe a populace (or, maybe just ... some individuals) that likes to think it "knows" things because of a few superficial articles of exposure, but without the wherewithall - or is it the capacity? - to back it up. don't get me wrong; rudeness, arrogance, ... and ignorance of many kinds can rub the wrong way, be it from new york or anywhere else for that matter. a few thoughts for you:

a) new york is a big state, and downstate is not upstate. i'm assuming you're thinking of downstaters, NYC, long island when talking "new yorkers".
b) new york city is a world class place, for better and for worse - with exposure to that kind of sophistication, yeah, lots of things are going to seem less sophisticated. can their sharing some of that seem rude or arrogant? yeah. is it wrong to share it? maybe maybe not. if a french person moaned about how unsophisticated american culture can be, that can seem rude, too - but, then, french culture's been around for a while, IS pretty rich, and so i'd have to say "well, yeah, i guess you're right in a way."
c) many new yorkers will be very honest with what new york does NOT have to offer, and will probably complain as readily about those things as it will gloat about the things it DOES have to offer
d) because some other people might have a hard time being honest about THEIR situations - be it insecurity, be it lack of comparative exposure, etc - does not mean that THOSE people are any better or worse
e) new yorkers i have known would not take a "why...are...you...here...so...go...home" stance on things. those new yorkers i have known would likely agree with some of your complaints about it, would complain with you about it, share some of what they love and hate about it, and let you figure out whether you can take it. either way, if they could find the time, they'd be hearing you, talking to you, and not saying "why...are...you....here".
f) yes, the new yorkers i've known can be "less patient" seeming. spend a lifetime surrounded by people of all stripes from all over the world and waiting in line for things (especially when someone comes along and doesn't "get it" thus making the wait all the longer), and with a high density of human experiences of many kinds, and around people that have done the same thing, and let us know how it affects you and whether YOU'RE to "blame" for that affect.
g) i've personally found arrogance pretty much everywhere i've lived. seems human, unfortunately. some arrogance comes in the form of "why....are...you....here...go...home". some of ti comes in other guises. my opinion? give people a chance, and you might learn something, as might they.

Last edited by hello-world; 06-07-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM

142 posts, read 932,879 times
Several times I overheard people from Georgia totally trashing people from thier neighboring state, Alabama. It was some of the funniest **** I ever heard. That is like someone living in a doublewide thumbing thier noses at the singlewide in the space next door.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
In order:

1. Connecticut (elist, rude snobs)
2. New Jersey (elitist rude snobs)
3. New York (upstate NY can balance out Long Island and Westchester which have the absolute worst people in the world)

4. Florida (northern transplants and illegal aliens
5. California (illegal aliens, self-righteous snobby people)

I used to include Massachusetts too but at least the one's I've met from there actually are real nice despite the state's reputation.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Here in Nevada--it's the Californians that are disliked the most. I don't mind them at all, except they are HORRIBLE drivers!!
Hey there Nevada....at least you're dealing with Californians and not New YOrkers, Bostonians, and Jersey people!!! New Yorkers and illeagl aliens messed up my town.

New Yorkers are very pushy and arrogant and they expect people to conform to their standards after they move elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with driving the speed limit or letting someone change lanes when you signal, or holding open a door for someone, or saying excuse me when you are walking through a crowd.....

Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Many people from NH, VT, and Maine despise Massachusetts people. Can't say I blame them. NY folks: depends where. Long Island, Westchester County, even Buffalo are up there on my list, as are some of the boroughs in NY City, although NY city as a whole, people aren't nearly as unfriendly as some want to believe.
I agree, people from Westchester and Long Island, especially Nassau County, are a lot worse than people from the 5 boroughs. THough I hate people from Greenwich VIllage and the Upper West Side a lot more than people from Staten Island or Brooklyn or Harlem.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux Flay View Post
Yeah, it's a generalization, and totally not scientific, but it seems every time I travel somewhere and encounter rude people: they invariably are either from California or Virginia. No idea why.
The rude ones from Virginia usually are really transplants from New YOrk or New Jersey.

New YOrkers, Californians, and Bostonians need to just slow down and chill and enjoy life once in a while.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
The rude ones from Virginia usually are really transplants from New YOrk or New Jersey.

New YOrkers, Californians, and Bostonians need to just slow down and chill and enjoy life once in a while.
"rude"

i think we need a little definition here. is it "rude" to assume things about a new yorker or new jersey person or californian because you know they're from there? is it "rude" to assume you're "chill" - and so, better - relative to someone else that's pretty much putting out there what you might have been thinking (or even saying and doing when noone was looking) anyhow? is it more "chill" to speak freely and openly, or to not speak freely and openly? is it more "chill" to "just be yourself", or to put an image out there of what's "expected" of you?

just asking. i honestly don't know.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Several times I overheard people from Georgia totally trashing people from thier neighboring state, Alabama. It was some of the funniest **** I ever heard. That is like someone living in a doublewide thumbing thier noses at the singlewide in the space next door.
OMG

double wide | single wide

i wonder if people from europe think that's how we - americans - ALL sound talking like this.

Last edited by hello-world; 06-07-2007 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or