Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you be more interested in living in?
Seattle 183 54.30%
Philadelphia 154 45.70%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times

Advertisements

Comments like yours remind me of fifth graders insulting each other. I'd guess you know nothing about Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Parts of Philadelphia remind me of Haiti. Its just a sad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Oooh I think I smell a rat. Why do you enjoy making false claims? You have zero credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose guy View Post
Seattle has way nicer people, scenery, downtown, weather and culture than Philadelphia. Philadelphia is depressing.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 AM

That's one of the stupidest anecdotes ever. Quite clearly L.A. and S.F. have the most violent, unruly fans... you do read the paper, don't you? You should drop this nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Your right it is not Detroit, but it isn't far off crimewise. And the only thing I think I stand corrected is was the word "meathead". There aren't alot of big buff gorrillas in Philly. Atleast not more than any other place. I should have clarified. There are just more hot headed pr***s. I could go on with the examples. Just look at sports. The people are not the happiest. I have a friend who lives and has lived in Philly for almost a decade now and he can't stand it. I don't know where he lives but he said that he doesn't leave the house after eight oclock. He is no sissy either. We wrestled together collegiately. He's actually a bad mo fo. But you don't bring yourself to a gun fight. Too many drug dealers, thug wannabee's etc hanging on the corners at night. Looking to start trouble with anybody.

He told me before and I've mentioned this example in an older post that one day he was just pumping gas minding his own business wearing a San Diego Chargers shirt. He doesn't even like the Chargers, he's a Giants fan like myself. But apparently someone gave it to him. Anyhow, within about a five minute span four different people heckled him. And one group of four in some sort of Bronco type vehicle was looking to pick a fight with him. Knowing my friend, he most likely would have wiped these wannabe tough guys clean. But since he is now 40 he shrugged it off and let it go. Sometimes people don't know who their messing with. This guy is one of the toughest son of a b*&**s I ever knew. If they were looking for trouble-he's not the one. But there lucky he let it go. Or maybe he's lucky because they could have been strapped. Either way-only in Philly. I can't think of another city in our country where someone would have been messed with over a stupid shirt. I mean seriously. For the wannabe thugs in Philly,-grow up. Personally, I think that those guys were lucky. My friend would have stomped the sh t out of seven of them let alone only four. If they only knew. None of this is made up. I've fought side by side with this guy a few times many years ago. This guy was the toughest guy I ever knew. I never saw it with my own eyes, but his own grandmother told me once how he took out more than ten guys because they were were taunting him when he was walking with his grandmother when he came back from Dessert Storm. His grandmother was dieing of colon cancer. Maybe that was why I don't know. He personally never told me this himself. His grandmother did. Of course I wasn't surprised. When I did ask him about it, he just shrugged it off. He was humble in that way. I wish I was that humble. I most likely would have told people, he didn't.

So yeah, unless they were strapped, those boys from Philly better just shut their traps when a 6'1 225 pound guy wearing a San Diego shirt comes by..lol.

He did tell me he however that he never wore that shirt in Philly again. I asked him why and he said who needs the trouble? Trust me years ago, he wasn't always that nice.

And personally Detroit is more violent gun wise (murder) but I have to believe that Philly is probably more violent assault wise. And if you have stats for assaults don't bother. Because I'm from an inner city and most fights go uncounted. I personally have been in more fist fights than I care to admit and I never once called the cops. Even when I was jumped numerous times. Of course that's just me. Most people from the streets don't bother with the police. But I could be wrong. I usually am.....

Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That's one of the stupidest anecdotes ever. Quite clearly L.A. and S.F. have the most violent, unruly fans... you do read the paper, don't you? You should drop this nonsense.

Are you kidding me. I've been watching sports for over 30 years. Everyone who knows anything about sports knows that Philly sport fanatics are the worst. How you can even try to argue this is beyond me. Take a poll. Take a poll. Make a poll and we'll see. End of story. Your a homer and I don't think you understand....Make a poll. Put your money (although, no money is involved) where your mouth is and we'll see. I guarantee you Philly wins....

Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I don't know where he lives but he said that he doesn't leave the house after eight oclock. He is no sissy either. We wrestled together collegiately. He's actually a bad mo fo. But you don't bring yourself to a gun fight.

MMM i was trying to make this point with my post earlier about Philly reminding me of an impoverished nation. Are there safe parts of the city? Sure of course there is.

But there are huge swaths of the city that are just downright scary for any normal human being. You wouldn't want to go out at night for fear of being assaulted or robbed.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That's because the general public is keenly aware you simply do not attend a game in Philly wearing an opposing jersey. That is suicidal.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
That's because the general public is keenly aware you simply do not attend a game in Philly wearing an opposing jersey. That is suicidal.

Honestly for whatever reason (some deserved) Philly fans get a bad wrap (the media really loves to play on this and jumps at the opportunity to blow these up while not doing the same with instances in other cities for whatever reason it makes for good press). I think there are a half dozen cities equally as bad, or should i say passionate.

Philadelphia Eagles Fans - YouTube

Phillies fans react to Bin Laden news with "USA" chant - YouTube

Philadelphia Flyers Fans simply the best - YouTube

Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
wait, some cat from san jose said philly is depressing lol

what's next bakersfield saying baltimore is depressing?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
It's a legitimate concern though. If you have lots of family/friends on the east coast or if you really want to go traveling there a lot then Seattle is a bad choice.

Living here you are definitely far away from the rest of the country. I love the northwest and Seattle in particular but I definitely envy my friends whose parents live in the area and can visit via car.

Ben
I still have family and friends back east in New York and DC. Seattle has direct flights to both. I still see family as much as I did driving up the rotten egg smelling NJ Turnpike. I still travel to Europe occassionally too. Its not isolated from the rest of the country, just further from the east coast which is no big deal.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly for whatever reason (some deserved) Philly fans get a bad wrap
Found this on the web...

9 Terrible Philly Fan Incidents ... And Their Harmless Explanations - SportsPickle News

Philadelphia fans are known as the most obnoxious, violent and disgusting in all of sports. And while they wear this reputation as a badge of honor, they also — oddly — claim every infamous fan incident has been misconstrued and blown way out of proportion by the “Philly-hating media” and that this stuff “happens everywhere.”

Here’s a rundown of all the top (bottom?) Philadelphia fan moments and what really happened.

#9 — A drunk Phillies fan vomits all over an 11-year-old girl (April 14, 2010) — Not the whole story, guy. This game was on a Wednesday night. What was this girl doing out late at a game on a school night, huh? All this guy did was give her an up close lesson on the human digestive system. I can’t believe we’re at the point in this country that we’re criticizing people for trying to educate kids.

#8 — Eagles fans cheer as Michael Irvin lay injured and motionless (October 11, 1999) — What?! You LIKE spinal cord injuries or something? Why would we cheer for it? Huh? Why? We were booing, like: “Boooooooooo. Paralysis sucks! Boooooooo.” You’re the sick one for not booing, man.

#7 — Phillies fans routinely throw batteries at Dick Allen, the team’s only black player (1960s) — Sure, don’t tell the whole story. The rest of the story is that Allen started wearing a batting helmet while he was in the field at home games. That kept him safer than any other player out there. But did we ever get a single thanks from him? No. But what can you expect from a lazy, ungrateful black.

#6 — Phillies fans throw trash and D-cell batteries at Cardinals outfielder J.D. Drew (August 10, 1999) — Bull crap. There haven’t been any D-cell batteries in Philly since the ’60s. We chucked them all at that dick Allen.

#5 — A teenage Phillies fan runs onto the field and is Tasered by a police officer (May 3, 2010) — I won’t apologize for this. It was for the kid’s own safety. He shouldn’t be on the field. He could get hit by a battery out there.

#4 — Phillies fans throw glass bottles all over the field in response to an umpire’s call (August 21, 1949) — So what. It was a stressful time. World War II and everything.

#3 — Flyers fans attack St. Louis Blues fans and the team’s head coach (January 6, 1972) — Ooooooh. Look at the nerd who paid attention in history class. So it wasn’t exactly World War II then. You think you’re smarter than me, ***?

#2 — Eagles fans boo Santa Claus and pelt him with snowballs (December 15, 1968) — Oh, here we go again with this one. All anyone talks about is Philly fans hitting Santa Claus with snowballs. It was MORE THAN 40 YEARS AGO! GET OVER IT! Plus, that’s not the real story. It’s like no one cares about accuracy. Here’s the really story … A) the guy was not actually Santa Claus; it was a guy in a Santa suit; B) he was drunk; and C) he wan’t pelted with snowballs. He was beaten to death with a tire iron. It was my Uncle Mikey who did it. So get your f—king facts straight, jack-off.

#1 — Philadelphia installs a jail, judge and court inside Veterans Stadium to deal with unruly Eagles fans (1998)— Huh. Hmm. Yeah, well that kind of makes it seems like there might be some sort of problem. Maybe you have a point. Well, you’re just lucky we’ve got stuff like that to protect you, ‘cause I’d kick your homo ass. E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagl-(vomits).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City