Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you be more interested in living in?
Seattle 183 54.30%
Philadelphia 154 45.70%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Seattle ranks near the top every year in desirability where as Harris Poll has never featured Philly before. I am not saying Philly is a bad city but no one views it desirable, not any rank I have ever come across to before online or the real world.
That's great and all but I for one really don't put much weight into all these internet polls. NYC is #1 on most desired city and #1 on least desired city. Mmmh that sure puts into perspective the usefulness of these lists. Miami, DC and Chicago are some of my favorite cities and they are also misrepresented on the lists. They are more or less popularity contests for people that take the time to take internet polls and maybe would be a better indicator on the reputations of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That's great and all but I really do not put much weight into all these internet polls. NYC is #1 on most desired city and #1 on least desired city. Mmmh that sure puts into perspective the usefulness of these lists. They are more or less popularity contests and maybe would be a better indicator on the reputations of cities.
This is expected since Philly has never been desirable by the respondents of Harris Poll the Philadelphians have an issue with it. Actually DC and Chicago are cyclical they are desirable certain years and not all, crime, weather, and job market play a large role for those cities, where Philly has never been ranked by Harris Poll in its 15 years since they opened in 1996. No one takes these 'internet polls', Harris Poll calls a few thousand random people across the country and ask what their top living choices are in cities.
Quote:
Harris Poll #1 Online Research Poll for General Election Result Predictions

14 May 2010 - London: Harris Interactive’s® final prediction of the election result topped the charts as the most accurate poll produced through online research.

According to the British Polling Council, the Harris prediction was the second most accurate of nine, and the most accurate of those produced through online research. Companies’ final estimates of the outcome of the General Election were compared with the election result across Great Britain. The Harris Poll predicted that the Conservatives would receive 35% of the vote, Labour would receive 29% and that the Liberal Democrats would receive 27%. The final election result percentages were 37% for the Conservatives, 30% for Labour and 24% for the Liberal Democrats.
Quote:
ROCHESTER, NY –November 6, 2008–(NASDAQ:HPOL) - The Harris Poll® issued its final presidential popular vote predictions late on election eve: Senator Obama

On average, preelection polls from 23 public polling organizations projected a Democratic advantage of 7.52 percentage points on Election Day, which is only about 1.37 percentage points away from the current estimate of a 6.15-point Obama margin in the national popular vote.

1. Rasmussen (11/1-3)**
2. YouGov/Polimetrix (10/18-11/1)
2. Harris Interactive (10/20-27)
3. GWU (Lake/Tarrance) (11/2-3)*
4. Diageo/Hotline (10/31-11/2)*
5. ARG (10/25-27)

"The 2008 presidential election provided us with a unique opportunity to further prove the effectiveness of our online survey methods," said Kimberly Till, CEO of Harris Interactive. "Election predictions are highly public tests of the efficacy of any methodology, and Harris Interactive proved once again that our online research methods are fast, are very accurate, and are equal to, if not better than the best in the industry."
Sorry but Philly is mostly forgotten by most of the country in contrast Seattle is seen as one of the most desirable places to live each year since 1996 when the first polls were released.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry but Philly is mostly forgotten by most of the country in contrast Seattle is seen as one of the most desirable places to live each year since 1996 when the first polls were released.
That's fine, some people need something tangible telling them that where they live is a great place. Others, such as myself, get by fine basing our decisions on real life experiences. Do I want to visit Seattle? Of course, but not because Harris Polls told me so.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That's fine, some people need something tangible telling them that where they live is a great place. Others, such as myself, get by fine basing our decisions on real life experiences. Do I want to visit Seattle? Of course, but not because Harris Polls told me so.
That's great but no one in the real world cares what you think or where you want to live and neither do I. You wanting to live in Philly wont change the facts that its just not a desirable place or that when people think of desirability that Philly is no where on their minds.

People find desirable in 2 ways;

1. Places with good scenery, weather, unique, and trendy culture. Places like San Diego, Denver, San Francisco, Austin, NYC, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta etc are in this group.

2. Places with good job markets with low real estate listings and plenty of amenities with a booming population. Places like Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, etc are in this group.

Philly is neither growing fast nor is it a hip and trendy cultural place with good scenery and weather.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That's great but no one in the real world cares what you think or where you want to live and neither do I.
Exactly but it goes both ways! Now please tell me why I (or anyone) should care what 1 or 2 thousand (at most) anonymous internet junkies think? Desirability is highly subjective and if you don't think Philly is hip or trendy, has great scenery and good weather than obviously we differ greatly on our opinions.

BTW, right now it is 80 degress in Philly with not a cloud in the sky-This weather will last through Sept and 70's until the end of October. In Seattle right now it is 62 degrees and cloudy-BLEH.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Exactly but it goes both ways! Now please tell me why I (or anyone) should care what 1 or 2 thousand (at most) anonymous internet junkies think? Desirability is highly subjective and if you don't think Philly is hip or trendy, has great scenery and good weather than obviously we differ greatly on our opinions.
Again, the poll which accurately predicted the results of the election, among other numerous difficult predictions in the past, and highly respected has more credibility than you will ever have. You are from Philly on an online blog, of course it makes sense to opt for the homer way to do things and defend your town. Desirability is subjective as the cities on the poll indicate that many are opposites of one another but all those cities have one thing in common; majority of the poll takers think they are desirable.

I'll state it again since it flies above your head, the poll is conducted by Harris Poll calling 3,600 random Americans of any background, race, and location within the U.S and they ask to list the 10 or 15 most desirable big cities and every poll since 1996 has had this in common; Philly has never been listed desirable for any year of the 15 years. You think Philly has good weather? Have you been to LA, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco? Philly has great scenery? Can it compete with Denver, Seattle, SF, LA, Austin, Portland, etc on scenery?

A city like Philly will never be thought about for much of anything, people use the word 'underrated' to describe Philly in the real world because most just don't care for it.

Last edited by Slyman11; 09-12-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,533 times
lol. You have no clue. Sorry for you.

Quote:
That's great but no one in the real world cares what you think or where you want to live and neither do I. You wanting to live in Philly wont change the facts that its just not a desirable place or that when people think of desirability that Philly is no where on their minds.

People find desirable in 2 ways;

1. Places with good scenery, weather, unique, and trendy culture. Places like San Diego, Denver, San Francisco, Austin, NYC, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta etc are in this group.

2. Places with good job markets with low real estate listings and plenty of amenities with a booming population. Places like Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, etc are in this group.

Philly is neither growing fast nor is it a hip and trendy cultural place with good scenery and weather.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times
Quote:
Again, the poll which accurately predicted the results of the election, among other numerous difficult predictions in the past, and highly respected has more credibility than you will ever have. You are from Philly on an online blog, of course it makes sense to opt for the homer way to do things and defend your town. Desirability is subjective as the cities on the poll indicate that many are opposites of one another but all those cities have one thing in common; majority of the poll takers think they are desirable.

A city like Philly will never be thought about for much of anything, people use the word 'underrated' to describe Philly in the real world because most just don't care for it.
I'm not sure if you could be any more off base. Not to mention your logical process is very suspect.

According to you, if one city doesn't appear on the Harris Poll, it therefore isn't desirable.

There are literally tens of thousands of cities and towns in our country. Is this to suggest that, by not being named in the Top 15, the rest are therefore undesirable? Or is it just that those 15 cities are the one's that people can think of off the top of their head? Have all of those respondents even visited the cities they've suggested are "most desirable?" How long did the respondents stay in the cities they're mentioning? Which neighborhoods did they visit? What time of year did they go? What factors make a place "desirable?" Believe me -- Harris Interactive did not ask those kinds of critical probing questions.

Point is: Harris is, by no means, a scientific poll. It has everything to do with a popularity contest and nothing to do with substantive research. It's also painfully obvious that you're trying to extrapolate your opinion to everyone else's, and many people would indeed disagree with what you're stating.

If you're not fond of Philly and do not find it "desirable," that's perfectly fine -- but please do not be disingenuous. "Desirability" is a very complicated thing to measure, and it sure as heck isn't going to accurately measured by a simple open-ended online poll.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-12-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I admit I can be a homer at times but I have lived in NYC and been to countless cities across the country. My opinion is just that-my opinion. I think living in a large, affordable, vibrant, excruciatingly unique, cosmopolitan city that is 1 Hour by train to NYC, 2.5 Hours to Baltimore/DC, 1 Hour to The Jersey Shore and 2 Hours to the Pocono mountains (among other things) is unmatched anywhere in the US.

Quote:
I'll state it again since it flies above your head, the poll is conducted by Harris Poll calling 3,600 random Americans of any background, race, and location within the U.S and they ask to list the 10 or 15 most desirable big cities and every poll since 1996 has had this in common; Philly has never been listed desirable for any year of the 15 years.
I'll state it again since it seems to fly over YOUR head. I still do not care about the polls-even if Philly was Number 1 for 15 years! Half the population of the US voted Bush in for 2 terms. Nearly half the population supposedly cannot identify America on a World map. I simply don't care about what 3,600 people scattered around the country that probably never left their hometown think about Philly.

Quote:
You think Philly has good weather? Have you been to LA, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco? Philly has great scenery? I suppose it can compete with Denver, Seattle, SF, LA, Austin, Portland, etc on scenery now too.
I hated the SF weather honestly. Ditto for Seattle I imagine. SD weather is probably beautiful although for me it would start to get boring and expected after a few months. Pennsylvania can compete with the best when it comes to scenery although probably not as dramatic as out West.

Quote:
I assure you, nobody in Philly is losing sleep over this.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
lol. You have no clue. Sorry for you.
Like you do? There's a reason why Philly doesn't get the respect it deserves and why polls and ranks like Foreign Policy, Global Cities, Harris Poll, Taylor, etc don't feature Philly or give it a lowly ranking and thats because Philly flies under everyones radars.

Doesn't make Philly a bad place to live but tone it down with your homers putting it on a higher level than it should. Seattle vs Philly on where most Americans would rather visit or live, Seattle would win easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City