Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
^ After seeing your two videos and the website provided by dailyjournalist....... it just confirms my intitial thoughts..... i hate both of these cities
Oh lord . The Cleveland videos are obviously satire about Cleveland's negative stereotypes and the Orlando website was just created by a pure hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Love the mall of millenia. Shopping places in Florida are usually more pleasant looking, even grocery stores. I am tired of looking at the brown boxes in the north. Orlando's shopping malls usually have lots of brands and choices, including the Orlando Premium Outlet which I regard as the third best outlet outside Woodbury Commons and Desert Hills. In terms of shopping Cleveland is not at the same level at all. Some people say orlando is not a real city. Of course it is. The fact that it is one of the most popular tourism place doesn't mean it isn't a real city. There are lots of people living there and it is growing quickly. Some people equate real city to skyscrapers. That is so untrue. Actually in most US cities skyscrapers are just showy. Most downtowns nowadays are dying in terms of retail, etc.
Not really. I think most people who prefer Cleveland to Orlando just prefer the walkable neighborhoods. I live in Lakewood, and I can walk up to the end of the block and have a huge chunk of the retail, restaurant, and bar options I want. It's a much simpler lifestyle, and it's very rare in Orlando, as far as I can tell. That's where the criticism comes from.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando has shuttles from the airport to car rental companies, and disney. It has a bus system if you want to get to the airport to downtown or anywhere else in orange/seminole county. They were trying to build a light rail system here but it got denied...
Orlando does not even have a highway that connects the airport to Downtown. All cities have shuttles that take you to rental cars,lol.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
I like visuals...here's a few more pics of Cleveland, OH:

New Transit Line: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,17725.0.html

On top of 200 Public Square: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,19196.0.html

Cleveland grit: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,12786.0.html

St. Patrick's Day! http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,8059.0.html

Culturally, Cleveland has the gems:

Westside Market on W.25th Street: http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/wsm012608_5.jpg
Arcade built by JD Rockefeller: http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/scans1007/10.jpg
and many more that I don't have time...or internet speed...to link pictures!

Whoever posted the thing about Orlando's downtown shopping center...check out the lobby of Cleveland's downtown mall, Tower City:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/IMG_7639.jpg

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
^^Great post!

On top of that, culturally, I would include:

Cleveland Orchestra
Playhouse Square (5 broadway theaters built in the 1920's at the same intersection)
Cleveland Musuem of Art
Cleveland Natural History Museum
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Botanical Gardens
Rockefeller Park
Lakeview Cemetery
Ethnic neighborhoods
Three major sports teams

Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Orlando does not even have a highway that connects the airport to Downtown. All cities have shuttles that take you to rental cars,lol.
You are aware that Herndon used to be the main airport? A whopping 3 miles East from the heart of Downtown.

Are you also aware that Orlando Int'l occupies space that USED to be an Air Force Base? They tended to sort of like being rather remote back in the day. Connectivity wasn't really an issue when all of this was put into place.

By the time the "boom" of the 70's happened, the areas between Downtown and the Airport were largely built out. There were several proposals over the years to construct a direct highway, but the neighborhoods of Belle Isle and Conway went absolutely apesh*t over any and all proposals - can't say that I blame them. Of course, all of this happened before you came on the scene.

And thanks for bringing up the subject of Airports. An area Orlando absolutely excells in. Orlando International blows many, many U.S. airports out the water - including Cleveland's and your own home airport.

Just saying.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You are aware that Herndon used to be the main airport? A whopping 3 miles East from the heart of Downtown.

Are you also aware that Orlando Int'l occupies space that USED to be an Air Force Base? They tended to sort of like being rather remote back in the day. Connectivity wasn't really an issue when all of this was put into place.

By the time the "boom" of the 70's happened, the areas between Downtown and the Airport were largely built out. There were several proposals over the years to construct a direct highway, but the neighborhoods of Belle Isle and Conway went absolutely apesh*t over any and all proposals - can't say that I blame them. Of course, all of this happened before you came on the scene.

And thanks for bringing up the subject of Airports. An area Orlando absolutely excells in. Orlando International blows many, many U.S. airports out the water - including Cleveland's and your own home airport.

Just saying.
Cleveland's airport has rapid train, bus, taxi, and freeways that connect it to Downtown and other neighborhoods.

Is Orlando airport really that nice? I've never been to it, so I don't know what to compare it to.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Sounds like a subjective statement. If true, so Orlando has an awesome airport?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Orlando International blows many, many U.S. airports out the water - including Cleveland's and your own home airport.

Just saying.
How can it blow away many many airports as you say, if one cant even catch a train to the center of the city or take a highway. Atlanta is an impressive southeast airport not Orlando.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
How can it blow away many many airports as you say, if one cant even catch a train to the center of the city or take a highway. Atlanta is an impressive southeast airport not Orlando.
So, why don't you tell us exactly how many U.S. airports have direct rail access to their respective Downtowns?

Hint - Cleveland is among the smallest that do have this service. And no, the lame Airtrain at JFK doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City