Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,240,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I like visuals...here's a few more pics of Cleveland, OH:

New Transit Line: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,17725.0.html

On top of 200 Public Square: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,19196.0.html

Cleveland grit: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,12786.0.html

St. Patrick's Day! http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,8059.0.html

Culturally, Cleveland has the gems:

Westside Market on W.25th Street: http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/wsm012608_5.jpg
Arcade built by JD Rockefeller: http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/scans1007/10.jpg
and many more that I don't have time...or internet speed...to link pictures!

Whoever posted the thing about Orlando's downtown shopping center...check out the lobby of Cleveland's downtown mall, Tower City:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/IMG_7639.jpg
On another note, I like these pictures! They show both the good and the bad of the city of Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I understand better where you are coming from now at least. Personally, I've never been to Orlando, so I had no idea. I started this thread out of fun due to the Cavs-Magic match-up.
It's all good, costello_musicman.

BTW, Watching the Detectives is one of my all-time favorite songs!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,240,540 times
Yes, good ole Elvis Costello

Old 06-09-2009, 01:09 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,028,079 times
Hmm...I would appear I am late to this Orlando bash-fest. Half of you Orlando haters sound as if you have spent approximately ZERO time downtown. I love this "real" city bull$hit. A mass transit system defines a city.... Forget things like activities, beauty, nightlife, walkability, future. I'm not saying Cleveland doesn't have any of this, I am just saying that Orlando certainly does. While Orlando's skyline is small, and everything is new, the downtown has more pulse than many cities twice its size. The downtown area has a beautiful lake surrounded by several modern condos, art-deco condos, restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, a huge public library, a brand new arena being built, and a brand new arts center about to be built. Or what about the brick streets of Thornton Park downtown with its beautiful trees, eclectic restaurants, cafes, and shops. Or Winter Park's upscale Park Ave with wine bars, upscalse shopping and dining. No, not all of Orlando is neon signs and rollercoasters. While this may not appeal to the smoke-stack, train yard, gutted and run-down building, grafitti crowd, it certainly appeals to me. I don't see any strip malls or chain restaurants downtown...please show them to me. There is plenty of character, even if it's not YOUR kind of character. Do not compare Orlando to St. Pete or Tampa...they are nothing alike. Orlando is modern and new, Tampa is old. Orlando is like a younger Miami in style, just without the beach. This city will grow, and the downtown will continue to develop. A slight roadblock in the form of the entire economy crashing derailed this town from rapid development and growth downtown. However, that is not stopping all the new developments like the events and art centers. There are a TON of things to do in this city and it is never without pedestrians on the weekends...walking around, eating, drinking, socalizing. Orlando's downtown is small, but it makes the most of its streets. I would certainly choose it over Cleveland. Did I mention we are a 1 hour drive from the prettiest beaches in the country on the west coast of Florida, and a 45 minute drive from some of the best surfing you can find on the east coast of the country? What about snorkeling or tubing in a crystal clear spring, or enjoying limitless central Florida attractions. And, oh yeah, we have 6 months of amazing weather. Enjoy shoveling show in the winter.

Last edited by Pete C; 06-09-2009 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Orlando is like a younger Miami in style
I hope you are kidding. Or maybe you have just never been to Miami

Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I hope you are kidding. Or maybe you have just never been to Miami
It has more in common with Miami than it has with Tampa.

Orlando was never an industrial city - neither was Miami.

Architecturally, Orlando looks much more like Miami than Tampa.

The new residential development and infill around intown Orlando resembles Miami's style moreso than Tampa's.

I know you consider Miami a "real" city, but so is Orlando.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It has more in common with Miami than it has with Tampa.

Orlando was never an industrial city - neither was Miami.

Architecturally, Orlando looks much more like Miami than Tampa.

The new residential development and infill around intown Orlando resembles Miami's style moreso than Tampa's.

I know you consider Miami a "real" city, but so is Orlando.
Orlando is more like Tampa and Jacksonville.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Orlando is more like Tampa and Jacksonville.
That is the convenient, dissed category you put it in.

It's your opinion. In my opinion, it far more resembles Miami than either of those two cities.

Orlando has NOTHING in common with Jacksonville with the exception that they happen to be in the same State. Nothing!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
That is the convenient, dissed category you put it in.

It's your opinion. In my opinion, it far more resembles Miami than either of those two cities.

Orlando has NOTHING in common with Jacksonville with the exception that they happen to be in the same State. Nothing!
Jacksonville has many roads that look identical to Orlando's main road of Colonial Drive.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Jacksonville has many roads that look identical to Orlando's main road of Colonial Drive.
And Colonial Drive looks just like about 10,000,000 other roads that can be found throughout the country. I can think of several in Cherry Hill that look identical.

You are grasping at straws now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City