Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 26,780 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I have been reading a great deal on this forum for the past few months as I am getting ready to move from New Hampshire to either Seatte, Denver or Salt Lake. I know Denver quite well however Seattle and SLC are unknowns to me.

The rain in Seattle doesn't scare me too much, after living a year in Ireland and almost two in Paris, I know what gloomy skies are.

I am sick of the freezing cold that New England offers, its Easter day and its 20 degrees out! I think the scenery in SLC is stunning but as a single mid twenty something, not a member of the church, very liberal, and socially active, I am not sure SLC woudl be the right fit for me. Denver is always an option but I havent been impressed with the job market, but the easy access to outdoor activities is tremendously appealing as I own a bike, kayak, skis, and will do just about anything to enjoy the outdoors.

Anyhow, if there is anyone out there that has spent any time in Seattle and SLC that might be able to compare the two I would love to hear from you. I am planning my solo drive for early August- I can't wait, just need to decide where I am going!

Cheers
Caro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
I lived in Colorado for 5 years, Denver, Boulder, Aurora and also seeked out SLC! Its still cold there, mourmens DO rule the place. Though they wont burn a cross on your lawn they do run things there. Colorado is cool,ummm, but I myself was looking to move out of living there after only 3 years. My life took a wierd turn and I ended up back on the wrong coast. So I too am looking into Seattle. My main reason is the people and weather. The people you are surrounded by make a difference in your quality of life.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:20 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Yup, i'd concur that Seattle sounds like it would be the best fit for you, Caro.

Seattle has moderate temperatures year around with extremes rather rare. SLC can get really cold in the winter, much colder than Seattle. SLC also has a rather long winter. Temperatures in the summer in SLC are also much warmer than Seattle.

Although SLC proper is now shifting away from being predominantly LDS, it still has the feel of a conservative city, IMO. The Mormon influence is definitely there but I believe the ratio is now under 50/50 ...more non-Mormons than Mormons. Take a look over on the Utah forum. They'll be able to tell you quickly what the ratio is. There are also a number of threads on the debate whether you'll feel comfortable not being LDS in Utah.

Seattle, on-the-other-hand, is quite liberal and, IMO, feels as such. It's that subjective feel of progressiveness and tolerance that many on this board will probably agree.

Seattle, like Denver (and SLC for that matter), is close to the outdoor amenities you seek. Your bike, kyak, and skiis will fit right in.

Oh, one other thing I'll mention is Seattle will probably have the cleaner air. SLC is infamous for it's smog. They have a terrible problem with their inversion. Again, I think there are a few threads discussing this over on the Utah forums. I travel regularly through SLC and 9 times out of 10, it seems to have that smoky haze lingering over the valley. Seattle at times will have air quality problems but they're usually very short lived.

When comparing Seattle and SLC, though, I'm almost positive you'll choose Seattle based on what you've said. Once you've visited both places, I think you'll see why.

Good luck and let us know what you think after your visits.

--'rocco

Old 04-08-2007, 10:35 AM

323 posts, read 1,969,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronewhampshire View Post
Anyhow, if there is anyone out there that has spent any time in Seattle and SLC that might be able to compare the two I would love to hear from you. I am planning my solo drive for early August- I can't wait, just need to decide where I am going!
It's not that SLC is bad for non-members of the LDS church - it's just an advantage for those who are.

If the weather in Seattle doesn't bother your, though, and you can afford it, your list of outdoor pursuits sounds tailor made for the Pacific Northwest! It certainly doesn't get as cold as either Denver or SLC - though it doesn't get as warm, either.

The one other thing to consider is the dreaded Seattle Freeze - your social life *may* not be as active as you'd like. This can be overcome but it takes concerted effort - close relationships just don't seem to happen as easily out here.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 AM

oh man, the "Seattle freeze" ...here we go again.

Exaggerated, perceived? Go back and read some of the threads on it. In my OPINION, I wouldn't let this stop you from moving to Seattle, Caro.

--'rocco

Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 PM

139 posts, read 1,216,973 times
Wow rocco your actually standing up for Seattle? is this a misprint? all of what you have said is great. Keep it up! I agree with everything you said in previous posts.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:38 PM

223 posts, read 1,274,888 times
SLC is beautiful. However, I know several people from there that complain of lack of things to do, other than outdoor sports and are trying to leave. Second hand info. Take it for what it is.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:51 PM

--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-28-2007 at 11:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 03:43 PM

26 posts, read 173,116 times
My brother lives and works in downtown SLC ( for the past 13 years) and my sister lives in Syracuse, North of SLC, but commutes to SLC every day. Commuting on I-15 isn't much fun as there are really no other routes to take... lots of accidents, most when people are rubbernecking it and looking at an accident that just happened.

My brother is liberal and gay and really enjoys living there. There is a lot to do if you know where to look. And although the church headquarters are there, only about 50% of the people living in the area are actually Mormon.

I think it depends on what kind of climate you are after. I haven't ever lived in Seattle, but have lived in the Pacific Northwest for the past 13 years, prior to that lived in Eastern Idaho. I think it depends on what you like - cold and dry or humid, wet and gray - but close to the ocean. Both are pretty in their own way and both lend themselves to lots of outdoor activities.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 PM

23 posts, read 96,362 times
Default Go to seattle

Hey I lived in Utah for 3 years .I will never go back to that state.The church thing can drive you nuts.The first thing they ask is what ward are you going to.Go to Washington .My husband been to seattle he said its greta he wants to retire there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City