Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:52 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Okay, I see the disconnect here. You're arguing about what he actually said, where NYC1Day is arguing about what he didn't say. I knew you were better than that!

Now at least I know that you two are accusing him of two completely different things he supposedly lied about. I don't feel he lied about anything b/c it has always been my understanding that most tornadoes occur in the Midwest (Oklahoma, Kansas, etc.), and I believe that was his understanding as well. If that is incorrect info, I would call that being misinformed off a common misconception rather than being a liar. But at least now I see where you were coming from.

The other dude is on some completely different page, calling him a liar for changing a subject he didn't change and for supposedly claiming something he never even said. Here look:

As you can see he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about, and I feared you were drinking his kool aid. I'm glad to see you are not b/c like I said earlier you seem alright.

But in response to your POV, I think one major reason he stated that the South is not the main spot where this occurs is that the South as defined in your link includes states most folks would not consider the South (eg: Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma). Also, Tornado Alley only includes several Midwestern states along with Texas. So since as your second link states, most tornadoes occur in this region, I would think you'd actually agree with him that most do not occur in the South. Unless you think that Texas gets more than the other states combined?
There are tornadoes in Texas just as much as the other states as Oklahoma, Missouri etc..

WikiAnswers - Why does Texas have so many tornadoes

What areas of Texas get tornadoes? - Yahoo! Answers

So this concludes that Uthorn was lying.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
There are tornadoes in Texas just as much as the other states as Oklahoma, Missouri etc..

WikiAnswers and Yahoo Answers conclude I was lying? I never said there are not tornadoes in Texas. But Texas in one state and doesn't represent for the other states in The South. Hell, there are some that question whether Texas is actually fully southern or not. Your sources are terrible and your logic that accompanies those sources is even worse.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
WikiAnswers and Yahoo Answers conclude I was lying? I never said there are not tornadoes in Texas. But Texas in one state and doesn't represent for the other states in The South. Hell, there are some that question whether Texas is actually fully southern or not. Your sources are terrible and your logic that accompanies those sources is even worse.
No, you clearly stated that "most tornadoes does not occurs in the south." When in fact it does occurs in the south frequently. That is the part that I am saying that you lied about.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:02 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
No, you clearly stated that "most tornadoes does not occurs in the south." When in fact it does occurs in the south frequently. That is the part that I am saying that you lied about.
I never said they didn't occur in the south!!! I never even said they didn't occure frequently. Do you understand english? I said that most tornadoes do not occure in the south. Most of the tornadoes in the United States occur in Tornado alley. Which is a fact.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:

Quote:
Lol. No offense Papi, but I gotta agree with him. The two sources do contradict each other and as I said earlier many of those states are not in the South. And he never said there were NO tornadoes in the South, he just said that is not where MOST of them occur. That claim is backed up by your link that says that most do occur in Tornado Alley, unless as I said earlier the majority of those happen in TX. And regardless, this is just semantics.

I think the lie accusation is completely incorrect here, but think what you want. Again, I at least can respect that you're considering something that was actually stated and could possibly even be debatable as a lie. I just disagree with you.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I never said they didn't occur in the south!!! I never even said they didn't occure frequently. Do you understand english? I said that most tornadoes do not occure in the south. Most of the tornadoes in the United States occur in Tornado alley. Which is a fact.
I concur.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,058 times
Tornadoes can occur anywhere. They have been seen on every continent with the exception of Antarctica. I saw damage from one in CT, I saw a bad one in IL--of course they happen up North. The point is that if you were to put money down on the next place that you would find a warning that a tornado was imminent and you'd better get away from the windows, you'd be wise to put that money down on a Southern state. The tornado alley map does show most occur in the MIDDLE of the country, from South to North, but the MOST severe tornadoes reported per square mile are in the southern portion of the alley.

No one can bother arguing that most hurricanes hit the Southeast. Yes, hurricanes hit the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, but it is surely not as frequent.

The job situation is bad everywhere, so one cannot promise that moving to such-and-such state in the South is going to guarantee employment.

You got a problem with that?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Tornadoes can occur anywhere. They have been seen on every continent with the exception of Antarctica. I saw damage from one in CT, I saw a bad one in IL--of course they happen up North. The point is that if you were to put money down on the next place that you would find a warning that a tornado was imminent and you'd better get away from the windows, you'd be wise to put that money down on a Southern state. The tornado alley map does show most occur in the MIDDLE of the country, from South to North, but the MOST severe tornadoes reported per square mile are in the southern portion of the alley.

No one can bother arguing that most hurricanes hit the Southeast. Yes, hurricanes hit the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, but it is surely not as frequent.

The job situation is bad everywhere, so one cannot promise that moving to such-and-such state in the South is going to guarantee employment.

You got a problem with that?
I don't! What you said here is good enough for me. Sounds like an informed opinion w/o any false accusations, so I have no beef with it!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:16 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol. No offense Papi, but I gotta agree with him. The two sources do contradict each other and as I said earlier many of those states are not in the South. And he never said there were NO tornadoes in the South, he just said that is not where MOST of them occur. That claim is backed up by your link that says that most do occur in Tornado Alley, unless as I said earlier the majority of those happen in TX. And regardless, this is just semantics.
Agreed x2. The link clearly shows "tornado alley" (where one would presume most tornadoes occur), to exist almost entirely in the midwest.

So nycricanpapi's link evidence does back up the claim that most tornadoes DO NOT occur in the south.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 AM

I know what Uthorn is saying about the tornado valley. The Tornado Valley includes Texas which is the south. So I strongly believe that tornadoes occurs frequently in the south. The Tornado alley includes Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Number of U.S tornadoes between 1950 and 1994
(Italics indicate states within the area of Tornado Alley)
  1. Texas: 5490
  2. Oklahoma: 2300
  3. Kansas: 2110
  4. Florida: 2009
  5. Nebraska: 1673
  6. Iowa: 1374
  7. Missouri: 1166
  8. South Dakota: 1139
  9. Illinois: 1137
  10. Colorado: 1113
You said that Most tornadoes in the United States form in an area called Tornado Alley and Texas is in that area, and Texas is in the south. So please do not continue stating you did not lie because I just proved that you lied. Why don't you make it easier on yourself, and just admit that you lied, or maybe that you thought that in the south did not have as much as tornadoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City