Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I never said everyone in the Northeast is miserable. But many people who do enjoy the region are either affluent (not necessarily rich) or those who live off someone else (either their parents or the government). Most other people who are either starting out from their own or those who would be living a middle class lifestyle somewhere else are pretty dissatisfied at best.
The north has higher salaries along with better job opportunites to offset the cost of living

If your statement in bold is true about the north then why does the south have the highest crime rates, highest poverty rates, and worst school systems year after year

I can find that info to pull it up as a fact if you are interested

Old 05-27-2009, 01:43 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The north is not overated

It has Philly, Boston, NYC and DC

Name another region that has four cities that can compete with that?

The four major cities in the south are fine to live...... Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami

There is no way in hell that I would enjoy living anywhere else in the south

Also, let me add that it's ok to split the north into two regions (northeast and midwest), but the south is one

DC is Mid-Atlantic not North. As far as the south, you also have Raleigh, you have Louisville, you have Nashville, you have Charlotte, you have Birmingham, you have New Orleans, you have Memphis.

Also texas is southwest.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:45 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
^True, nothing i really dont think the north is that overated. We have everything at our convenience, whats overated about that??...plus four season and cities that are fairly close unlike other regions where u have to drive hours to get to the next form of civilization....i love it up here..

four seasons is not a plus for me (hate cold)

as far as cities being close together, NC alone has 3 distinct metro areas. (triangle[raleigh], triad[greensboro], Charlotte. Also, there are expanses of NY, PA (especially), and Massachusetts that are just as rural as anywhere in the south or midwest.

edit: also judjing from how many people over on the NC board are people from the north relocating, sounds like the North is over rated.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
DC is Mid-Atlantic not North. As far as the south, you also have Raleigh, you have Louisville, you have Nashville, you have Charlotte, you have Birmingham, you have New Orleans, you have Memphis.

Also texas is southwest.
Charlotte is nothing, but a small city. Raleigh, Louisville, Nashville and Birmingham are nothing but large towns, not cities

Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Northern Va.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
What are you talking about? DC is North. The south starts in Virginia. Maybe back then DC was considered the South, but now it is part of the North. Texas is not southwest. Texas is the South. I believe you need to go back to history class.
is basically a suburb of DC.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Gimmie an S-O-U-T-H. South, South, South! I'm being nutty here but I simply cannot remotely fathom the appeal of this region. People say it's jobs. Well the South is suffering in that department right now as much as anybody else, perhaps more. People say it's weather. How many times in the past couple weeks alone have I seen tornado warnings on TV for areas in the South? Of course tornadoes pop up in the North too but it is nowhere near as often. Who gets most of the hurricanes? The South again. This is not paradise weather, folks, wondering if your roof is going to come off tonight. Also, I enjoy going to sleep not having to wonder if Mega-Bug is just about to crawl up the side of the bed.

The North couldn't be overrated since so many are, uh, complaining about it. If you want culture, you'll find it e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e up North. If you want good food, you can't miss it in the North. We're intelligent and we're modern and we're diverse; it is undeniable. One cannot base a new love of the South on jobs that don't exist and weather that is no improvement.
The South is a wonderful region. I could care less whether you dislike it or not. However, let's put things in perspective.

Sure, there are more tornadoes in the South than the northeast, but we have less than the Great Plains. Tornadoes are possible whereever two highly different air masses (cold with warm) collide. Since the Gulf of Mexico sucks warm, gulf air and moisture northward, and since it collides with the rapidly advancing cold interior continental air in the fall and the rapidly receding cold continental air in the spring, it creates a lot of vertical uplift and rotation. Hence, tornadoes.

Hurricanes are only an issue if you live in Florida, or within an hour of the Alantic and Gulf Coasts. The Georgia and North Florida coast is rarely hit, given the Atlantic coast's westward bend and the gulf stream current bypassing much of the area.

Overall, the South has milder weather, while still having a cold season. The Piedmont and Appalachian areas of the South have more balanced seasons than most of the north.

"You're intelligent"? Based on what? I have data that will show that the southern states outperform northern states in certain criteria. There are demographic reasons that can be used to account for much of the difference. According to each demographic variable, it's fairly close.

I don't base the quality of life in the South on jobs.

Last edited by City Fanatic; 05-27-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
How can the North East be over rated. If you go to NYC you can find many cultures which you do not find it in the south. Maybe if you only go to Miami. However, there are more states in the NE that you can have a better time than in the south. Like DC, NJ, Philly. If you would go to those places you would find better places to have fun than in the south. Most of the parts in the south, one needs to drive like 1 hour to get to one place wow.... Doesn't that tells you something?
I don't get where people define the northeast by NYC. Hello, most of the northeast is not New York City. Furthermore, the south is a more diverse region than the northeast. Yet, diversity isn't necessarily a benefit. However, since you're making it an issue, I'm obliged to tell you that your assessment isn't even correct. The most diverse region as a whole is the west, followed by the south, then northeast, then the midwest.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I would disagree with that...............................
While I'm not boasting about the NE. Its beauty is its continuity.
There are plenty of small cities that fill the gap between the Major, most talked about cities in the NE.
New Haven, Ct is a city with its own contributions to the culture of the east coast. Being Yale's city alone gives it stature. Some in the "know" claim its unique style of Pizza is better than deep dish Chi Town.
Look at a dismissed & much put down city like Newark, NJ. You can see the opera, a museum & pro sports all in one of the "scary & most dangerous" cities in America.
Between Philly & NY alone (without stepping foot in either one), you can taste foods from around the world (and I don't just mean Mexican & Italian), see works of art, musical concerts & enjoy a vast array of entertainment.
The large pockets of intellectualism that reside between the NE's big cities is one of its biggest strengths (being the home to the Ivy League).
I will let the New England types further break down Conn & RI for you.
But you see what I'm getting at.
Those cities to "fill the gaps" are all located along the coast. Try taking a trip from central Maine westward through northern New Hampshire, Northern Vermont, into upstate New York, southwestward into Pennsylvania and tell me that it is urban or suburban in nature. It's not. In fact, taking that drive makes most of the south look much more populated in comparison.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
I'd like to see some hard figures for that claim.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Tell me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Those cities to "fill the gaps" are all located along the coast. Try taking a trip from central Maine westward through northern New Hampshire, Northern Vermont, into upstate New York, southwestward into Pennsylvania and tell me that it is urban or suburban in nature. It's not. In fact, taking that drive makes most of the south look much more populated in comparison.
We once got lost in the middle of the night in the Adirondacks driving miles and miles and miles without so much seeing a TOWN, let alone a city or suburb, or GAS.

Even on the NYS Thruway Upstate you will see, "Next Rest Area for GAS and Services (Toilets) 50 MILES", as in you better fill up or take a leak NOW, or you will be calling the State Troopers to come up with a gas can, or peeing off the side of a road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City