Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,058 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the South is wonderful to you, just like the North is wonderful to me. So we'll stay where we are and we are both happy.

I need no lessons on weather disasters, but thank you. My point was that they are much more likely to happen in the Southeast. Whether you, or anyone else, agrees with that or not is your prerogative. Yes, your weather is milder in temperature, however, some of us very much enjoy our four seasons. Snow is a beautiful thing and I love seeing it every year.

Let me know the criteria of which you speak, pertaining to intelligence. There is no way that can be accurately measured, especially in entire regions of a country, but let me know what you have found. As far as knowing what's going on in the world, and possessing modern, forward thinking, I assure you the North and West are ahead of the South.

What do you feel quality of life means? Of course it is not all about jobs, but when bragging about the South a common factor is supposed availability of jobs there versus up North. I would like to know what about the South you feel brings you quality. It's not an argument; it is curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
The South is a wonderful region. I could care less whether you dislike it or not. However, let's put things in perspective.

Sure, there are more tornadoes in the South than the northeast, but we have less than the Great Plains. Tornadoes are possible whereever two highly different air masses (cold with warm) collide. Since the Gulf of Mexico sucks warm, gulf air and moisture northward, and since it collides with the rapidly advancing cold interior continental air in the fall and the rapidly receding cold continental air in the spring, it creates a lot of vertical uplift and rotation. Hence, tornadoes.

Hurricanes are only an issue if you live in Florida, or within an hour of the Alantic and Gulf Coasts. The Georgia and North Florida coast is rarely hit, given the Atlantic coast's westward bend and the gulf stream current bypassing much of the area.

Overall, the South has milder weather, while still having a cold season. The Piedmont and Appalachian areas of the South have more balanced seasons than most of the north.

"You're intelligent"? Based on what? I have data that will show that the southern states outperform northern states in certain criteria. There are demographic reasons that can be used to account for much of the difference. According to each demographic variable, it's fairly close.

I don't base the quality of life in the South on jobs.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well I think the south can match up well with northeast in terms of amount of cities,
Houston 2.2million
San Antonio (IF YOU INCLUDE IT IN THE SOUTH) 1.3million
Dallas 1.2million
Jacksonville, FL 800,000
Austin (IF YOU INCLUDE IT IN THE SOUTH) 750,000
Fort Worth 681,000
Memphis 674,000
Charlotte 671,000
Nashville 590,000
No Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, and Miami?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
What is arrogance is when I see people having t-shirts of "Don't mess with Texas" that is what is arrogance is lol. What does Texas has that is all that? Nothing. Cowboys, farms, Cows, etc... please Texas is not all that.
Isn't MOST of upstate NY farms?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I agree. The things that those texans say is really starting to tick me off

Sort of like those tshirts they wear all the time "everything is bigger in texas"

Now, that is arrogance
True, but that's off thread stuff. Nobody in this thread said anything about Texas superiority. BOTH New Yorkers AND Texas are arrogant. "The City so Nice they named it Twice", that sounds arrogant. What about the "I Love NY" shirts, there not much different then the "don't mess with texas" ones. So it goes BOTH ways.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
True, but that's off thread stuff. Nobody in this thread said anything about Texas superiority. BOTH New Yorkers AND Texas are arrogant. "The City so Nice they named it Twice", that sounds arrogant. What about the "I Love NY" shirts, there not much different then the "don't mess with texas" ones. So it goes BOTH ways.
Let's not even go there, because people love NY. That is why everyday I see millions and millions of tourist in NYC. I also have seen that the south copied our style. I have seen people wearing I love ATL shirt as style now that NYC created.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
The thread was not about NYers being arrogant either.

But, I guess that my arrogance came through so much to everyone else when I told them that Raleigh, Birmingham and Nashville are more like towns than cities.

You are right it does go both ways. According to others on this site, it's only the NYers that are arrogant.

And what is so funny about this claim is that I have NEVER lived in NYC. So much for their assumptions

Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I live in and love NYC, but the NYC boosters are among the worst and most numerous in this forum. Not every description of the city requires a superlative.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:42 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Something that I would love to point on about this site that noone else has spoke about.............

I love how people in the south will divide the north up into two categories, which are the midwest and northeast

However, the south is always listed at one. They don't divide it up into the southeast and southwest.

This is the way it looks on citydata right now

South : Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Louisville, Nasvhille, Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans, OKC, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston

Notice that all of those cities in Texas and OKC are in the southwest, but are listed as the south (as one)

North: Boston, New York City, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, DC and Baltimore.

Southerners take away all of the cities that belong to the north, which are in the midwest. The midwest is a subregion of the north

Here is the list of the cities taken away from the North.............

Columbus, Cincinatti, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, St Louis, Minneapolis/St Paul and Kansas City.

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 05-28-2009 at 02:51 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The thread was not about NYers being arrogant either.

But, I guess that my arrogance came through so much to everyone else when I told them that Raleigh, Birmingham and Nashville are more like towns than cities.

You are right it does go both ways. According to others on this site, it's only the NYers that are arrogant.

And what is so funny about this claim is that I have NEVER lived in NYC. So much for their assumptions
I agree, that's what I said in my original post, on C-D, BOTH the south and the north are overrated.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Let's not even go there, because people love NY. That is why everyday I see millions and millions of tourist in NYC. I also have seen that the south copied our style. I have seen people wearing I love ATL shirt as style now that NYC created.
I never said people dont go to NY, that has nothing to do with what I said, im sure people flood NYC everyday, I said that NY'ers AND Texans are BOTH arrogant, what does that have to do with millions of people going to NYC? And what does that have to do with the north NOT being just as overrated as the south. Millions of people go to Orlando each year, even more then NYC(not a diss, just fact), but im sure MANY, MANY, MANY of you think Orlando is overrated, and it MIGHT be overrated. And NY might also be overrated, key word MIGHT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City