Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 PM

324 posts, read 659,376 times

Advertisements

Well as u can see the northeastern boosters can't undrstand why people would pick southern cities skylines over northeast. I love looking at all the different styles of highrises that Atlanta Houston and Dallas have.. At night as you can see the city looks awesome when lit up at night PHilly doesn't give u a great skyline at night. Most of the buildings are brown so the skyline isn't as impressive at night.. I like having multiple skylines it gives you more to look at when your referring to skylines.. If all Atlantas buildings were lumped together with all it's impressive scrapers people would still say phily because it's Philly...

Old 05-08-2010, 02:08 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
I guess southern city boosters have come to expect the "connect-the-dots" theory of skyline design... plunk down highrises all over the place, usually connected with highways. All of a sudden, you've got a huge-looking city...and all those new glass-curtained buildings certainly look nice.

Houston does this a lot, so does Dallas. Not sure how well ATL competes with those two Texan juggernauts in this.

Most northeast and west/northwest cities have a sense of urban planning and land use that disallows such pluncking down of towers all over the place. I kinda like it that way.
Actually, Dallas does not have huge skyscrapers all over the place. Please provide evidence of your claim because the only part of Dallas going through a skyscraper boom is Uptown...which is right next to downtown Dallas.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
I guess southern city boosters have come to expect the "connect-the-dots" theory of skyline design... plunk down highrises all over the place, usually connected with highways. All of a sudden, you've got a huge-looking city...and all those new glass-curtained buildings certainly look nice.

Houston does this a lot, so does Dallas. Not sure how well ATL competes with those two Texan juggernauts in this.

Most northeast and west/northwest cities have a sense of urban planning and land use that disallows such pluncking down of towers all over the place. I kinda like it that way.
well it can give that impression of a huge looking city, until you get down to street level and wonder where everything is. The biggest diff between northern and sunbelt cities is the urban lifestyles, urban neighborhoods, street levels, interconnectivity, etc.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:46 PM

268 posts, read 948,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well it can give that impression of a huge looking city, until you get down to street level and wonder where everything is. The biggest diff between northern and sunbelt cities is the urban lifestyles, urban neighborhoods, street levels, interconnectivity, etc.

But yet Northerners continue moving to the SunBelt, not to say Southerners don't move North just not in big masses the way they move here, in Atlanta it's almost unheard of to find a native Atlantan, same with Texas and the way people from California and out West move there.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:49 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Default Wow, you're a mind reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
But yet Northerners continue moving to the SunBelt, not to say Southerners don't move North just not in big masses the way they move here, in Atlanta it's almost unheard of to find a native Atlantan, same with Texas and the way people from California and out West move there.
Now you’ve definitely touched on something that I don’t think a lot of them want or intend to admit, but the proof is in the census. I CONSTANTLY meet people in Atlanta who relocated from Philly, New York, Detroit, DC etc. Every once in a while, I’ll run across someone from the west coast but certainly not as often as I meet the northeast transplants. They want a slice of that reasonably priced Georgia peach, and I can’t blame them based on what I’ve experienced while visiting their respective regions. Plain and simple, the major Sunbelt cities simply offer a better quality of life. Everyone wants to save money; I’d move too. On the flip side, I love visiting (and going back home) northern cities to see how they do things. I like to think that I’m relatively open-minded, so I really enjoy seeing how other people “get down” so to speak. I always have an awesome time in Philly whenever I visit, so kudos for that. Atlanta still has the superior skyline though.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 05-08-2010 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM

324 posts, read 659,376 times
Quote:
That's the complaining they do.. Example.. Everything is spread out.. In NY everything you can walk to I had my bagle shops and this and that.. So then I ask well why didn't u stay on NYC where u had access to all these things.. Why would u strip away the things the things that supposedly make life easier.. They say oh we wanted to by a house.. Then that's when they start all the negative things about NY...

Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
did i just read that right that you like sprawl???
And for the record, I think it really comes down to the definition versus your interpretation of the word sprawl. Sprawl simply means spread out, so could the same be said about Atlanta’s skyline? Well, there’s Downtown, Midtown, Perimeter and Buckhead...multiple skylines to take into account all things considered. Everything Philadelphia has to offer (worth scrutinization) is centralized in one location. That’s not to say that the architecture itself is spread out from one another in each of these districts. I simply used it to say that the skylines have more than one location- spread out around the city. Hopefully this answers your question.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 05-08-2010 at 11:30 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times
Quote:
How is one issue linked to another?! Just because people move from one region to another does not say anything about various cities' urban design or lack there of. People have been moving South and West for many decades now, but in the past, many Southerners (especially blacks) moved North. A lot of it has to do with economics, not with the way cities are built.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Actually, Dallas does not have huge skyscrapers all over the place. Please provide evidence of your claim because the only part of Dallas going through a skyscraper boom is Uptown...which is right next to downtown Dallas.
Dallas has corporate mid-rises and high rises all along the Dallas North Tollway. Dallas also has several high rise clusters around Hwy 75 and LBJ Freeway (635) as well as near Galleria area. That's just for the starters, and within Dallas itself, nevermind areas in suburbs such as Irving's Las Colinas.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
yep, I know it.... I'll soon be moving away from Dallas TO Philly. Philadelphia's downtown is quintessential urban living and more to my liking, in any case then anything Dallas has to offer yet... Dallas is doing some infill and it's making progress, so perhaps I'll be back in the future, perhaps in 10 years or so and see a more vibrant downtown and well-connected surrounding neighborhoods, not the dijointed feel it's all got right now. Not to mention the street-level lack of urbanity in downtown save for a very few blocks on Main Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City