Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
I think Philadelphia has a very nice skyline, and to answer your question no I don’t think downtown Atlanta could rival downtown Philadelphia. When you factor Midtown, Downtown, Perimeter/Sandy Springs, and Buckhead it’s a runaway for Atlanta easily. Buckhead alone is almost like having Charlotte NC in the distance.

That is fair, I think it also tough because skyline preferance is subjective versus objective.

I was curious because that particular question is one that is not often addressed. I like both skylines personally; and a lot depends on the vantage point/distance. That is where the aspect of density versus linear expanse or multiple skylines can come into play. I like th view of skylines from both a further away perspective (panorama view) and also the up close (street-level) perspective. These two are tough to compare because one excels at the density component and one at the panorama perspective.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That is fair, I think it also tough because skyline preferance is subjective versus objective.

I was curious because that particular question is one that is not often addressed. I like both skylines personally; and a lot depends on the vantage point/distance. That is where the aspect of density versus linear expanse or multiple skylines can come into play. I like th view of skylines from both a further away perspective (panorama view) and also the up close (street-level) perspective. These two are tough to compare because one excels at the density component and one at the panorama perspective.

You're right. It’s going to come down to personal preference either in density with a much more urbanized core (Philly) or expanse/number of notable high-rises (ATL). I love Philly’s tallest tower (don’t know the name of it) but I like it better than anything here. I prefer ATL’s more modern architecture though, but I think Philadelphia has more of a traditional east coast skyline with the crazy density. It’s great!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
You're right. It’s going to come down to personal preference either in density with a much more urbanized core (Philly) or expanse/number of notable high-rises (ATL). I love Philly’s tallest tower (don’t know the name of it) but I like it better than anything here. I prefer ATL’s more modern architecture though, but I think Philadelphia has more of a traditional east coast skyline with the crazy density. It’s great!

It is the Comcast HQ, I personally feared it would stand out and make the skyline worse but it has grown on me. I agree on the composition and there are aspects of an area like buckhead from a building/development perspective that you just do not see in a tradional older NE skyline that can be very interesting. Even at the street level there are uses of these structures that to me are very intelectually interesting in the development of place.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times
Atlanta

Old 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM

This shot of Atlanta is one of my favorites. Because it's so hilly here, you rarely see the condo's that overlook Piedmont and parts of downtown in the same image so it's a keeper. Buckhead, Perimeter, and Atlantic Station clusters aren't captured on this image at all.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,186 times
Atlanta has the better skyline.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 PM

LOL, I agree. There's definitely a lot more highrises in Atlanta than Philadelphia, but a lot of people prefer density. I can't imagine choosing density over the number of highrises in general, but that's just me.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,186 times
Quote:
LOL, I agree. There's definitely a lot more highrises in Atlanta than Philadelphia, but a lot of people prefer density. I can't imagine choosing density over the number of highrises in general, but that's just me.
Atlanta's buildings look waaaaaay better than Philly's and the buildings are taller.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,363 times
Quote:
Density is more indicative of a city's energy and personality. Skylines mean squat, if all that exists between the buildings are empty parking lots and strip malls. That's boring. If the buildings were shorter and contiguous (touching one another), you'd have the density and street-level retail that makes big cities exciting.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM

This video says it all. Atlanta's skyline is WAY too massive to attempt to capture it all in a single shot like Philadelphia's. I wish the Perimeter skyline was included on this video, but I guess you can't have it all. Enjoy...

YouTube - Atlanta Office Space - Views from 17th Floor of 3630 Peachtree - Atlanta's Ultimate Property Tour

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 07-07-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City