Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 PM

116 posts, read 245,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is because you are a Chicago homer.
Yeah most Chicago homer's tend to say things like "I like LA better than Chicago" LOL.

Quote:
1. Chicago is half the size of LA (per the Census)
No, it is not.

US Census city populations:
Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank — Infoplease.com

Chicago: population 2,836,658
Los Angeles: population 3,834,340

In what universe is 2.8/3.8 = 50%?

Quote:
2. Chicago is much less dense than LA (per the Census)
No, it is not.

City square miles:
Chicago | Emporis.com
Los Angeles | Emporis.com

Chicago: 227.41 mi²
Los Angeles: 469.31 mi²

City of Chicago: 2,836,658 / 227 = 12,497 people per square mile
City of Los Angeles: 3,834,340 / 469 = 8,175 people per square mile

In what universe is 8,175 a larger number than 12,497??

Chicago is 75% the population of LA and is much more densely populated. Anyone that has been to both cities can attest to this. But there is no sense arguing this because this is just simply the fact. It is like arguing that the sky is not blue or that food comes from Mars. It's just simply not reality so I'm not sure what your deal is.

Now if you want to include suburbs and big sprawling houses out in the boondocks then you lost me because I don't care about Auntie Mae with her two dogs and 2 acres, that's not the city.

Quote:
Um, no, for so many reasons.

1. These are city populations not metro populations.
2. The city populations are wrong anyways. Emporis is not a population resource. We have something called the U.S. Census
3. You are (for some odd reason) including highrise data, which is completely irrevelent to population, density, or big-cityness. Why not include number of gas stations or street lights while you're at it?
1. No kidding. This forum is called City versus City and the thread title says "cities."
2. City populations were not wrong. They were based on US Census data. In fact the above numbers are from the US Census.
3. I only included highrise data as a point of interest. You keep mentioning how LA is so much bigger and denser than Chicago but it just is not. It hardly has any tall buildings which is a sign of density, it has no street lights on the highways which is a sign of suburban/ruralness, and it is simply much less dense. This is an objective fact. You know LA doesn't have to be number one in everything, you can deal with facts, I mean it is the reality of the planet you live on. Who cares. I would rather have a house in the Malibu ozarks than any place in Chicago anyway. So you are arguing with an LA homer, certainly not a Chicago one. But I can deal with the fact that Chicago feels a lot bigger when you are walking around it (and far more like my home country UK, a lot more people walking around on the streets, biking around, trains wizzing by, etc.). It is what it is.

Quote:
And downtown features a giant parking garage in the base of every building.
Chicago? No. You sure you have been there? If you say stuff like this no one will take you seriously.

Quote:
Sure thing, we believe you. And if you really are a Radiologist, then it certainly says something for the quality of medical talent in Chicagoland!
I am just presenting some facts quite honestly. What does this say about my ability to do dry reads? Nothing at all. When I present what I do for a living who the hell says "sure, we believe you." Who cares? So I'm a Radiologist what's the difference? It doesn't change the fact that in my very wide and IMO important field (medicine) Chicago is at the epicenter with RSNA and the American Medical Association. I have to fly to Chicago every single November for it. But you seem to only understand "pop culture" but still can't really be specific what that even means to my daily life.

But it's like everything I say you don't care so what's the use. LA has to be number one in everything, right? What's the use talking to you. How old are you. Seriously. Level with us. If you think "late 20's" is an "old man" you have to be like 16 and probably have never even left LA in your whole life.

Last edited by yoyobubba; 09-07-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM

116 posts, read 245,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This is a very real issue, in not just Chicago, or IL but entire midwest...
Even if they do get bright students, or have a top university like UChicago...they leave. Chicago has really good infrastructure and amazing architecture but quality of services and talent has become an issue fleeing to the coasts and even the sunbelt cities.
Purely anecdotal (but possibly statistically) I have actually met more Northwestern graduates in California than in Chicago.
IL ranks 2nd in the nation behind NJ for students leaving state for college.
This actually became an underlying issue while living there...
It's actually kind of sad, I know many bright friends who have left, I'm gone now as well after living their briefly but... that is just how it is...
Lots of people among people I know were leaving for similar reasons... it is not just the weather.

btw to be fair... LA CSA is 17.8 million Chicago CSA is 9.7.
I actually went to Northwestern for medical school. The reason you see a lot of Northwestern graduates in California is because 1) California is a great place to live, but moreso 2) Approximately 30% of our class was from California. California has a real lack of medical schools per capita. It's actually the worst in the nation. Therefore you see California residents at medical schools all over the country outnumbering everyone else.

Moreso though, there are not many IL residents who go to Northwestern Med. It was around 15% of our class. The rest were from out-of-state. I sat on the board of admissions a couple years ago and the goal of the school is to draw nationally and internationally at the expense, unfortunately, of localities, because creating good "local doctors" is not befitting of the school's mission. The school's mission is research and getting nationally recognized.

I think the fact I was from London by way of North Carolina actually helped me during the admissions process, while there were many great IL/WI/MN/IN applicants who were rejected without an interview and ended up at other places. Every day when I was on the admissions board I would look at the schools of where we were interviewing and it was like clockwork every day, 3 people from California (always Berkeley, UCLA and UCSD), 5 from the East Coast (all ivy), 1 or 2 from the South (1 of which was ALWAYS Duke), and only 1 or 2 locally. I'm sure we got literally over a thousand applications from University of Illinois and Wisconsin but only interviewed a handful, even though these applicants were easily as good or better than the ones elsewhere.

Last edited by yoyobubba; 09-07-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 04:18 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
SF for culture
culture my foot...
Number 3 is Los Angeles.
1 and 2 are NYC and DC, arguably in either spot but DC is number 1 IMO.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Damn, that is worst than I thought. I imagine U Chicago probably fares even worse in that regards.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Do yourself a favor and do some research next time.
Well said.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
Wow. How many screen names is this guy going to go through/

Old 09-07-2009, 05:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Wow. How many screen names is this guy going to go through/
Who

Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 6,445 times
Default Wait a minute...

Are we coming from the assumption that Smell-La is automatically #2?...(Give me a bloody break! Chicago is #2... always will be in my book!)
So,............ a one dimensional - no character city (I'm sorry, COUNTY) has the automatic rights to be called #2 because ... Paris Hilton sux her boyfriend in the parking lot,......
because,... Jack Nicholson attends Lakers games.... because Smell-A adds up 120 suburbs and then says ... we have millions of people???
Please,..........
SMELL-A is THEE Most over-rated city(County) in America.
No matter how hard it tries to be an urban center.... IT'S NOT!!!!!
IT's a frickin' SUBURB!! (over 115 to be precise) And that's all it is and ever will be!!! Mentality to boot! LA is nothing but a mess full of wannabes!
But the media loves it....................................... there could be a death in Northern California under grissly circumstances... but God forbid, "Oooohh, someone stubbed their toe down in LA"... stop the presses. WE don't care if that woman is having a breech baby... we're going to LA!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daw oo7 X95 View Post
Are we coming from the assumption that Smell-La is automatically #2?...(Give me a bloody break! Chicago is #2... always will be in my book!)
So,............ a one dimensional - no character city (I'm sorry, COUNTY) has the automatic rights to be called #2 because ... Paris Hilton sux her boyfriend in the parking lot,......
because,... Jack Nicholson attends Lakers games.... because Smell-A adds up 120 suburbs and then says ... we have millions of people???
Please,..........
SMELL-A is THEE Most over-rated city(County) in America.
No matter how hard it tries to be an urban center.... IT'S NOT!!!!!
IT's a frickin' SUBURB!! (over 115 to be precise) And that's all it is and ever will be!!! Mentality to boot! LA is nothing but a mess full of wannabes!
But the media loves it....................................... there could be a death in Northern California under grissly circumstances... but God forbid, "Oooohh, someone stubbed their toe down in LA"... stop the presses. WE don't care if that woman is having a breech baby... we're going to LA!
Are you crazy lol? I agree L.A often gets overrated, but all cities have a lot of suburbs. I don't get if you're trying to say L.A is made up of suburbs of Suburban L.A is made up of a lot of suburbs.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,445 times
I'm sorry, then you're already gone. (obviously caught up!) You honestly think that LA has any sense of URBANITY to it? You've got to be joking me! It almost sounds like you live there. Stop and look around you. You could easily be in Wichita, Kansas... Omaha, Nebraska, shall I go on? In fact, it's actually an insult to those 2 cities to mention them in comparison!
Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City