Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Was like that when I was living in London and New York too. Almost every big city that people love to live in is like this and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.
Yeah I guess it goes with the territory, I shouldn't fight it lol.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM

116 posts, read 245,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
You are lying again. LA is considered the most polluted major city in the US.

City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

Most polluted US cities
By short-term particle pollution)
1. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2. Fresno, California
3. Bakersfield, California
4. Los Angeles, California.
5. Birmingham, Alabama
6. Salt Lake City, Utah
7. Sacramento, California
8. Logan, Utah
9. Chicago, Illinois
9. Detroit, Michigan

Most polluted US cities
(By ozone pollution)
1. Los Angeles, California
2. Bakersfield, California
3. Visalia, California
4. Fresno, California
5. Houston, Texas
6. Sacramento, California.
7. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
8. Charlotte, North Carolina
9. Phoenix, Arizona
10. El Centro, California

Most polluted US cities
(By year-round particle pollution)
1. Bakersfield, California
2. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3. Los Angeles, California
4. Visalia, California
5. Birmingham, Alabama
6. Hanford, California
7. Fresno, California
8. Cincinnati, Ohio
9. Detroit, Michigan
10. Cleveland, Ohio
LOL. I posted the list from Forbes that didn't look that different, and it got ignored by that joker too. I think the "most polluted city in America" thing Osito keeps talking about is from some list that he made or something because he'll never back it up. Guys living in a fantasy world. Notice how US Census numbers don't mean anything anymore. It's all about what the PACE suburban bus system thinks. Oh wait the PACE suburban bus system thinks Chicago will be 3.1 million by 2010. Oops. And of course from 1990-2000 Chicago did not grow, even though the official US Census said it did. But wait Chicago has been "declining steadily since the 1950's." Oh wait except for the last two decades. Oops. I mean the guy is a true study in contradictions. He doesn't even agree with himself which makes for very entertaining reading.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It is called clearing up. I do this to many cities, Chicago is not the only one with strong boosterism. But nice excuse, again. Thanks for the apology.
If you really want to clean up you'll get all of the trolls off this thread (including yourself) You're not cleaning up anything. If you're wrong about something as simple as the meaning behind the nickname the Second City, who knows what else you've been wrong about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Why don't you take this up with the Chicago Historical Society, not me? Clearly they disagree. But you know better right?
Give us a link from the CHS proving that the meaning behind the nickname the Second City is whatever outrageous claim you make it to be. I'll be waiting (not meant to be sarcastic)

Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgrl View Post
that's true. i first became aware of Chicago's population drop on the evening news last year. The story was actually about Philadelphia. Their population is shrinking too.
Yeah that's been the case for almost all Northern U.S cities. Exceptions are NYC and Boston (just starting to gain).

Quote:
On infoplease, it shows Chicago decreasing every two years, by almost 20,000. 2008, Chicago population increased. I think most are moving into the surrounding areas. The gap between Houston and Chicago has never been so closer. I see Houston surpassing Chicago in ten years.
This is where I have a problem with your post. Most people (you're one of them) haven't either a.) been to chicago within the last 5-10 years, or b.) have never been to Chicago.

The city was booming with new developments until the whole recession hit. It's not out of the question to say Chicago's floating somewhere around 2,900,000 residents. The stereotype is everyone and their mother is running out of the city, when actually gentrification is bringing everyone back in (mainly unmarried white people).

Quote:
I personally would not want to live in Chicago. It's ranked the most segregated city in America. I'm from Houston, I'm used to diversity. Plus it's too cold and expensive.
True its very segregated, you can walk four blocks one way and see some of the poorest families in the nation, walk four blocks the other way and see some of the richest, but what city isn't segregated. All neighborhoods have their roots. With the slight exception to NYC, most cities are very segregated.

Diversity? Chicago's extremely diverse, almost all races and ethnicities are represented equally across the board. Houston and Chicago are pretty much equal when it comes to diversity, but almost all cities are.

You've never been here, you don't have any idea how cold it gets. The winters here are over exaggerated. There isn't a blizzard every day, and its not always 45 below.

As for expensive, you just said you want to move to NYC. Chicago is nothing compared to NYC in terms of cost of living.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
People who think that the "Second City" refers to being second place also probably think that the "Windy city" refers to actual wind conditions

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
People who think that the "Second City" refers to being second place also probably think that the "Windy city" refers to actual wind conditions
I was totally going to bring that up but I didn't feel like having to argue that one out too lol.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
That's ridiculous!

Who would think Chicago is in second place??

Now sixth, I could see, but second? Give me a break! It's half the size of LA, and a fraction the importance of DC.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
^Chicago is clearly 3rd, or no lower than 4th, in my opinion (if DC were to be put ahead of it)

And on to nicknames...Can you really blame non-natives or non-long time Chicago residents for not knowing the etymology behind the city's nicknames?

I mean up until now, I had always thought "Windy City" meant it gets windy there from time to time (specifically in the downtown area...like massive skyscraper wind-tunnels...i could've sworn i read that somewhere). And I thought "Second city" meant: The second largest city after NYC (up until LA came onto the scene that is).

It's only natural for people uneducated on the nicknames to try and take literal meanings from them....and by the way, thanks for the education on what "second city" means, whoever it was who explained it Now what does "Windy City" actually mean?

I mean think about SF's nickname of "Baghdad by the Bay." Your average person, especially in this day and age, might assume it means this is a crazy, hectic, murderous place...but the name was coined by a locally famous columnist named Herb Caen, in the 1940's, and actually refers to the time when Baghdad was the center of culture and knowledge, thousands of years ago.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM

116 posts, read 364,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
That's ridiculous!

Who would think Chicago is in second place??

Now sixth, I could see, but second? Give me a break! It's half the size of LA, and a fraction the importance of DC.
Chicago> where you live, **** troll

Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^Chicago is clearly 3rd, or no lower than 4th, in my opinion (if DC were to be put ahead of it)

And on to nicknames...Can you really blame non-natives or non-long time Chicago residents for not knowing the etymology behind the city's nicknames?

I mean up until now, I had always thought "Windy City" meant it gets windy there from time to time (specifically in the downtown area...like massive skyscraper wind-tunnels...i could've sworn i read that somewhere). And I thought "Second city" meant: The second largest city after NYC (up until LA came onto the scene that is).

It's only natural for people uneducated on the nicknames to try and take literal meanings from them....and by the way, thanks for the education on what "second city" means, whoever it was who explained it Now what does "Windy City" actually mean?

I mean think about SF's nickname of "Baghdad by the Bay." Your average person, especially in this day and age, might assume it means this is a crazy, hectic, murderous place...but the name was coined by a locally famous columnist named Herb Caen, in the 1940's, and actually refers to the time when Baghdad was the center of culture and knowledge, thousands of years ago.
You absolutely can't blame someone for not knowing what nicknames mean if they are "uneducated" on nicknames. However, in turn, they shouldn't be shoving their definition of what "second city" means down the throats of those who do know what it means, just to start an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City