Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Except for you providing data on:

Most population loss
Source- Pace Bus annual reports
Quote:
Real Data showing Chicago population loss post 2000
Quote:
Most Ghettos
Source- Pace Bus annual reports (most population loss of any city)
Quote:
Murder Capital
Source- Chicago Tribune
Quote:
Mount Greenwood/Beverly being a quote "black ghetto"
Source- It's in the heart of the South Side, the most violent part of the country's most violent city.

And the South Side is the largest black neighborhood in the country.
Quote:
Most Polluted City
Source-
Full List: America's Most Stressful Cities - Forbes.com

Actually, I will admit here, I was wrong. Chicago is only listed as the #2 most polluted city in the country this year. Congrats!

Most years, though, Chicago is ranked the most polluted. This year is different and I salute Chicago for the improvement to second worst!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Oh, another thing!

Looks like Chicago will lose its one claim to fame!

Throughout this thread, Chicago boosters have been bragging about the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, as if it's this great thing!

Well, looks like they want to move to New York! I guess they've outgrown Chi-town, and are ready for the big time:

The CME acquired the New York Mercantile Exchange last year, opening up the possibility of a move to New York, says a CME spokeswoman.

Companies occasionally threaten a headquarters move as a negotiating ploy, but Mr. Fioretti says it’s a real possibility in the CME’s case. A CME spokeswoman says the exchange is “committed to Chicago,” but relocating to New York is “always an option.”

CME wants city subsidy for renovation | Crain's Chicago Business

Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Source- Pace Bus annual reports Not acceptable, where do they get this data from? They're not even primarily concerned with Chicago.

Source- Pace Bus annual reports Not acceptable again. Are you serious? lmao

Source- Pace Bus annual reports (most population loss of any city) So you're comparing data from two different sources (one not even being the U.S. census) to make a conclusion.

Source- Chicago Tribune Because the newspaper says it, it makes it so. Really intelligent. And what does murder capital mean?

Source- It's in the heart of the South Side, the most violent part of the country's most violent city. So you have no real data, you're just making conjectures.

And the South Side is the largest black neighborhood in the country. Once again, this is pointless, and the South Side is not even the largest, Northern and Eastern Brooklyn is.

Quote:
Neighborhoods surrounding Bedford-Stuyvesant in Northern and Eastern Brooklyn are also majority black such as Brownsville, Canarsie, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, Prospect-Lefferts Gardens, East New York, and Fort Greene. Together these neighborhoods have a population of about 940,000 and are roughly 82% black making it the largest black neighborhood in the United States.
Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Source-

Another geography lesson, the two neighborhoods in question are on Chicago's southwest side, on or close to the southwestern city limits.

Actually, I will admit here, I was wrong. Chicago is only listed as the #2 most polluted city in the country this year. Congrats! Source?

Most years, though, Chicago is ranked the most polluted. This year is different and I salute Chicago for the improvement to second worst! Source?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Oh, another thing!

Throughout this thread, Chicago boosters have been bragging about the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, as if it's this great thing!

Well, looks like they want to move to New York! I guess they've outgrown Chi-town, and are ready for the big time:

The CME acquired the New York Mercantile Exchange last year, opening up the possibility of a move to New York, says a CME spokeswoman.

Companies occasionally threaten a headquarters move as a negotiating ploy, but Mr. Fioretti says it’s a real possibility in the CME’s case. A CME spokeswoman says the exchange is “committed to Chicago,” but relocating to New York is “always an option.”

You're a liar! lol!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
If you really want to clean up you'll get all of the trolls off this thread (including yourself) You're not cleaning up anything. If you're wrong about something as simple as the meaning behind the nickname the Second City, who knows what else you've been wrong about.

Give us a link from the CHS proving that the meaning behind the nickname the Second City is whatever outrageous claim you make it to be. I'll be waiting (not meant to be sarcastic)
your the troll, I already posted the link. Sorry but I'm not backtracking...

but since you can't read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Nah cuz, they are wrong.

In the United States, the term has long been a nickname for Chicago. A.J. Liebling coined the "Second City" phrase and applied it to Chicago to highlight his opinion of the city as being culturally second to New York.

I will even use YOUR OWN CITY FUNDED ENCYCLOPEDIA if you don't like others. STRAIGHT FROM THE MOFO'ING The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohisto...es/410156.html

During the mid-twentieth century, critics of Chicago continued to deride the Midwestern metropolis as a provincial backwater. New York writer A. J. Liebling commented on the dearth of fine dining and entertainment and the migration of rising literary stars from Chicago to New York and Los Angeles, and labeled Chicago the "Second City"--a metropolis whose glory days were now passed. As before, civic and business leaders fought against such
characterizations.
\
Quote:
Nah cuz, they are wrong.

In the United States, the term has long been a nickname for Chicago. A.J. Liebling coined the "Second City" phrase and applied it to Chicago to highlight his opinion of the city as being culturally second to New York.

I will even use YOUR OWN CITY FUNDED ENCYCLOPEDIA if you don't like others. STRAIGHT FROM THE MOFO'ING The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.

During the mid-twentieth century, critics of Chicago continued to deride the Midwestern metropolis as a provincial backwater. New York writer A. J. Liebling commented on the dearth of fine dining and entertainment and the migration of rising literary stars from Chicago to New York and Los Angeles, and labeled Chicago the "Second City"--a metropolis whose glory days were now passed. As before, civic and business leaders fought against such
characterizations.
\

Quote:
Nah cuz, they are wrong.

characterizations.
\
get it now? do you see it? ...The all mighty chicago super bias posters with new accounts know all though right ???
I've spent enough time on this. next.

Last edited by grapico; 09-09-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Oh, another thing!

As they mentioned in the article, companies threaten to move in order to get government subsidies...the title of the article you're linking to even says that. I don't see Chicago letting the CME move anywhere. It's way too important to their local economy.

I'll believe it when I see it.

P.S. Why do you want to see a city fail so bad?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
your the troll, I already posted the link. Sorry but I'm not backtracking...

but since you can't read...

get it now? do you see it? ...The all mighty chicago super bias posters with new accounts know all though right ???
I've spent enough time on this. next.
Here's the one of the few things Wiki is good for. Read this one statement.

WikiAnswers - What is the origin Chicago's Second City Nickname

don't call try and call someone else a troll when its pretty clear to everyone that actually know why Chicago is called the Second City that you're wrong.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:

Source- Pace Bus annual reports (most population loss of any city)

Source- Chicago Tribune

Source- It's in the heart of the South Side, the most violent part of the country's most violent city.

And the South Side is the largest black neighborhood in the country.

Source-

Actually, I will admit here, I was wrong. Chicago is only listed as the #2 most polluted city in the country this year. Congrats!

Most years, though, Chicago is ranked the most polluted. This year is different and I salute Chicago for the improvement to second worst!
Wait? What's Pace Bus? You aren't seriously getting your information from an annual report released from a suburban bus company are you?

I don't get if you've ever been to Chicago either. Mount Greenwood is 94% non-hispanic white located in the extreme southwestern corner of the city. It's nowhere NEAR the heart of the south side.

Chicago has posted a loss of around 40,000 people according to the census. That's below many other cities, and only a 1.4% drop. Not even near the top for large cities. Regardless of the fact the 1999 estimates had Chicago losing big, and it ended up gaining over 100,000.

St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, etc. etc. have always had a higher murder rate than Chicago. We're about middle of the pack for large cities with 16/100,000.

The city has high rates for industrial pollution on the southside and Indiana industrial areas - mostly away from population centers. Air and water pollution aren't even in the top 10 according to multiple sources.

What's your beef dude, lol

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 AM

136 posts, read 235,353 times
Osito57 = dementor, thefinalcut, take2

Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Need I remind everyone that Chicago is America's Second City and therefore belongs in the number one cat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/gr...10Chicago.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City